I didn’t see the Chinese talent in GP999 people where hyping about

• There’s talented contestants on the C-group but the narrative I heard before was that as a whole, the Chinese trainees would dominate in vocals and dancing, even above the K-trainees.

Obviously Mnet didn’t just pick based solely on talent, they wanted some “diversity”. It would be boring if everyone was just a fierce gifted dancer. You could tell many of the Chinese contestants lacked in energy, stage presence or skills. This made the ifans’ enemy #1 Fu Yaning shine even more because she looks like an ace compared to them

• but 3 trainees from that C group passed while only 1 from that highest ranking K group

No of the top 9 candidates 9 of them were Korean. (so far)

Edited once, last by pravda: edit: 5 known Chinese Trainees have made it to the qualifying round and 4 Japanese. (one Chinese was only paritally aired and one Japanese wasn't aired at all but they messed up doing the digitization of the name plates and showed a Chinese and Japanese contestant with top passes in the ep 2 preview. ().

• Those hyping up C group saying they were so talented and pretty while K group was pretty bland visual and talent wise were clowned. C group was the weakest thus far. 22th of the C group was painful to watch and 12th was so-so. Meanwhile, even 30th of K group could perform decently albeit nothing spectacular. It seemed like every single one of the K group was fair to good performers. The K standard surely was top-notched. The only reason they were not more top9 candidates from K group was that the masters raised their bars for this group.

It looked as if 20% of C group were talented, 50% were so-so and the rest was so so terrible. And, watching them in motion more and more, only half of them were pretty. K group had less pretty contestants yet, none of K group was close to the ugliest contestant from C group.

Neither I can feel the beauty of the center of C group. She looked alike Jayavarman VII.

• I'm not interested in beating around the bush and having this meaningless conversation with you. You've BEEN targeting Chinese idols and now you're targeting these trainees. Its so weird to me how you can weasel your way out of a ban. Or how anyone can even take you seriously anymore. :-D

Actually I have several Chinese picks from the show that I believe would have high potential to make it to the final group: My predicted final Girls Planet 999 line-up

One of my bias besides Irene is Chinese (Yuqi)

And I also made a thread praising diverse Chinese visuals: Why are minority trainees more eye-catching than Han trainees in Chinese GG survivals?

So I don't know where this "anti-Chinese idol" narrative is coming from...

• Those hyping up C group saying they were so talented and pretty while K group was pretty bland visual and talent wise were clowned. C group was the weakest thus far. 22th of the C group was painful to watch and 12th was so-so. Meanwhile, even 30th of K group could perform decently albeit nothing spectacular. It seemed like every single one of the K group was fair to good performers. The K standard surely was top-notched. The only reason they were not more top9 candidates from K group was that the masters raised their bars for this group.

It looked as if 20% of C group were talented, 50% were so-so and the rest was so so terrible. And, watching them in motion more and more, only half of them were pretty. K group had less pretty contestants yet, none of K group was close to the ugliest contestant from C group.

Neither I can feel the beauty of the center of C group. She looked alike Jayavarman VII.

Yes, this is exactly what several have said before the show aired. And it was just 'accepted' and nobody had a problem with it.

But imagine someone making an honest assessment after actually seeing their performances, then they'll accuse you of being anti-Chinese

• The way she looks nothing of the sort. Just lying to be bitter at this point :clown:

I mean centers for these survivals aren't chosen for their visual, but if you compare with Produce 48's "centers" Sakura and Wonyoung, hailed by many for their visuals, people will notice a visual distinction to the current C-group center

• I just finished watching the first episode and oh my god. I was cringing during C group performances because of the vocals. So many of them have the visuals, are good dancers, but the vocals are awful. Tbh I won't lie, I underestimated J group but the majority of them were really serving. For some reason I went into the show expecting to be wowed by C group but they're the ones I'm the least impressed by. And Fu Yaning might be an ace but so far her personality seems like garbage.

• One of the issues I had with watching Chuang 2020 and also YWY2 was the heavy use of Auto tune and post vocal cleanups they did on the show. I would watch the show and everything from almost everyone sounded great. BUT then you would hear them after debut and they sounded nothing like they did with the show. One reason it really showed so prominently is that at the same time Chuang 2020 and YWY2 was being aired so was Nizi Project. You could tell the difference immediately in post vocal editing. Nizi Project you could hear the breathing, the exertions when they were dancing on their voices. The Chinese shows you couldn't. I think that while they did use some tuning here in GP999 they used it much less than the Chinese "produce" shows. Also as far as dancing goes. Unison in dancing isn't a real big thing in China. You don't want to blend in you want to stand out so if you can over dance something just do it. I don't believe it is something they can't do it is just something they don't really try to do. It's because they aren't trying to make a cohesive group but as a launching pad for their solo careers.

• I mean centers for these survivals aren't chosen for their visual, but if you compare with Produce 48's "centers" Sakura and Wonyoung, hailed by many for their visuals, people will notice a visual distinction to the current C-group center

In fact, they were Sakura and Gaeun, not Wonyoung. Still, Gaeun was prettier than 80% of contestants in this show.

Chen Xinwei could rival Wonyoung's visual but, her voice deserving that 33th place.

• There’s talented contestants on the C-group but the narrative I heard before was that as a whole, the Chinese trainees would dominate in vocals and dancing, even above the K-trainees.

Obviously Mnet didn’t just pick based solely on talent, they wanted some “diversity”. It would be boring if everyone was just a fierce gifted dancer. You could tell many of the Chinese contestants lacked in energy, stage presence or skills. This made the ifans’ enemy #1 Fu Yaning shine even more because she looks like an ace compared to them

I find it ironic how many people were comparing the K group to the C group like crazy only in the O.O.O. performance down to visuals (what does that have to do with talent? Lol), stage presence, and dance skills before seeing the actual first episode. Now the tables have turned. The Koreans are bodying the Chinese contestants and even have to adhere to a different grading criteria due to being held to a higher standard. Looks were also deceiving on the K group end. You had cute young looking girls with clumsy personalities with the Hot Sauce and Monster Baby group but slayed their performances. What happened to all of the TaLeNted Chinese contestants who were supposed to be destroying the LAckiNG Koreans? :clown: I’ve even heard from some bitter people that the best of the best Chinese talents stayed in China LOL (gotta have some excuse now). Watch me get called a troll or anti Chinese by the two bozos in this thread.

EXACTLY LML. The people who were lowkey or even highkey hating on the K groups for no damn reason I bet don’t have much to say now. And yes, I’ve come across some of what it appeared to be Chinese nationalists bashing the looks and skills of K group under the C group OOO performance. If you boil down further, maybe some dual kpop/cpop stans were as well I guess after watching one or two episodes of Chuang or YWY :pepe-smug:

• EXACTLY LML. The people who were lowkey or even highkey hating on the K groups for no damn reason I bet don’t have much to say now. And yes, I’ve come across some of what it appeared to be Chinese nationalists bashing the looks and skills of K group under the C group OOO performance. If you boil down further, maybe some dual kpop/cpop stans were as well I guess after watching one or two episodes of Chuang or YWY

They just wanted to bash K-pop and C group was used. They did not stan C-pop or whatever or, C-pop must have been more popular internationally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!