Isn't it ironical that IU is going to take the Yearly #1 in Melon on the year it ceases to become relevant?

• Sometimes, what you desire, you obtain in the end, but by then it is no longer relevant.

Lee Jieun's elusive yearly #1 at Melon will probably come to pass because Brave Girls' new song was weak, summer is still not what it used to be in Korea since a new covid outbreak resumed the restrictions, and brave girls fandom now has a lot of growing pains because of the behavior of Brave Entertainment workers (one of them , a brother of Mr. Brave Brother, appears to be the center of this ruckus, which means it won't be resolved.)

From middle of May, it was predicted that Rollin would take Celebrity in 100 days, give or take a few days. Two months later the gap is still there, and if Rollin cannot at least reduce the gap significantly by end of August, which is getting farther and farther as BG's fandom fractures, Celebrity will probably win #1.

The singer who contributed nothing to Kpop for the first 10 years of her career is finally going to get her elusive Melon Yearly #1, on the year KakaoM surrendered to Spotify.

What would be it like one finally takes the yearly 1 in Melon on the year it ceased to be relevant?

• Melon Annual Number 1 Songs

2020 - Zico, Any Song

2019 - Lim Jae Hyun, If there was Love

2018 - IKON, Love Scenario

2017 - Ailee, I will go to you like the first snow

2016 - TWICE, Cheer Up

2015 - Big Bang, Bang Bang Bang

2014 - S&J, Some

2013 - Psy, Gentlemen

2012 - Psy, Gangnam Style

2011 - T-ara, Roly Poly

2010 - miss, A Bad Girl Good Girl

2009 - SNSD, Gee

2008 - Wondergirls, So Hot

• 2019 was Anne Marie's 2002. Lim Jaehyun is a cheater.

• I dont think Melon will surrender to Spotify. I think it's actually Youtube that is the dark horse in Korea, i saw a graph where YT was either second or third behind Melon. Spotify was way behind, behind Genie, Youtube, Flo and maybe even Vibe and Bugs.

Youtube is another animal, but internationally spotify is more important

• I don't think it will be that irrelevant. People aged over their 30s will not be bothered to use Spotify much since they still can use Melon, unless certain people come from a fandom that usually streams to helps his/their faves record. KNetz always talks like 'they will choose this/avoid that but in the end there nothing big gonna change', because it just opinion from the minority.

• Youtube is another animal, but internationally spotify is more important

I just saw a ranking where IU is number #5 among Korean acts on spotify.

Impressive considering the older demographic wouldn't have taken to spotify yet, nor on general - korean fans compared to i-fans.

Anyway as you endlessly harp, international following popularity is not the primary thing for domesticist like IU, so meh...

• I don't think it will be that irrelevant. People aged over their 30s will not be bothered to use Spotify much since they still can use Melon, unless certain people come from a fandom that usually streams to helps his/their faves record. KNetz always talks like 'they will choose this/avoid that but in the end there nothing big gonna change', because it just opinion from the minority.

Which means the trottists won't be invading Spotify, which is a good thing.

• Worldwide it does matter, since the world pay attention to spotify ranking before melon

Some company/people in korea doesn’t care about spotify. Melon is still a big deal in korea. Yes spotify is bigger international. But that doesn’t mean it bigger in some place.

• I just saw a ranking where IU is number #5 among Korean acts on spotify.

Impressive considering the older demographic wouldn't have taken to spotify yet, nor on general - korean fans compared to i-fans.

Anyway as you endlessly harp, international following popularity is not the primary thing for domesticist like IU, so meh...

ifans see strength at spotify as the measure of influence, and Lee Jieun appears to be more aware of spotify than before, releasing songs more palatable to i fans

Older fans flocking to spotify won't change it since very few foreigners will buy Lim Youngwoong's song from there.

• WhyKnock this thread was popped by AKP at me today.

I couldn't resist, your prediction about Spotify rendering Melon irrelevant in S.K in 2021 was a bust.

And IU did tick that accomplishment Melon #1 as well., At least you got that correct.

Good make some such predictions for 2022 and IU will oblige by proving you wrong.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• She will mostly concentrate on acting in 2022 so not much predictions can be possibe.

• I actually knew IU as an actress first when I watched My Mister last summer and was blown away. I’m not a huge fan of her music, but she was born with more talent in her right finger nail than 99.9% of everyone else on this earth.

She is good at singing, acting, management, real estate speculation, writing lyrics in Korean and photography.

Not good at promoting in the West though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!