Why do people think National Hits have to vibe well with elders?

• I don't know about your contry but mine is really hugeee and we have a lot of different tastes and age gap people. Most of our "National hits" are targeted at young people and don't match at all with people over say, 50...

Some are HUGE hits but people from other states don't even know about it? :melon_think::melon_think:

• queenyeji

Changed the title of the thread from “Why do people think National Hits have to vibe well with elsers?” to “Why do people think National Hits have to vibe well with elders?”.
  • So it will fit in with the narration they came up with in which only their faves' song is a national hit. Simple.

This "national" stuff seems nonsensical to me from the whole beginning because of different state cultures... Some songs are just not going to get huge at far away places, which are very far from that reality. Some actually do but it takes time. At this point we should just call "Hits", " HUGE Hits"

• Actually, there are three incidents where older people had decided the top song in Korea, 2014, 2016 and 2017.

The Meaning of You, by the person in my sig and Kim Changwan, was pushed to the top because older people liked it.

The Despicable Im Changjung's tantrum , which greatly hurt Twice in the end, was helped by the K-O-R-E-A-N men of 30s, the population block which now supports Rollin, whichi will never be relevant outside of Korea.

And Yoon Jongshin's song was supported by older Koreans in their 40s too.

If Gallup did not finally separate the older pop's votes apart from those of under 40, Yongtak would have taken the top song of 2020 instead of BTS' Dynamite.

Fortunately, although too late for Twice, Gallup finally began to count the over-40 votes separately so older pop will be put into a league of their own and not allowed to bother Kpop anymore.

• This makes sense because these two categories have different tastes but how do we know wich one hit harder? Maybe search the average age of the contry's population? :melon_think::melon_think:

But only elder ppl liking it doesn't mean youngins do... And old people have way more money to "support" their faves with paid apps, wtv.

• idk i'm guessing it has something to do with older people being harder to please and having higher standards as well as less access to modern pop music so when a song resonates well with them it's seen as more worthy...

sidenote pinkcerise does not agree with this point of view

• I guess some people think for a song to be considered a national hit, it has to be liked by more than just young Kpop fans. National implies the whole nation, and the GP is a lot bigger than just young Koreans in their teens and 20s.

I dont buy this though. It's impossible to write a song that appeals to everyone. I believe in stats, not hearsay about who is listening to a song in Korea.

A national hit for me starts when a song reaches 850M Gaon Points for songs from 2020 and later. For songs before then 900M-1B should be the threshold. Once a song reaches these thresholds, then we can talk about whether it truly qualifies. Some songs are borderline like those songs that never peaked at #1 but stayed on the charts for years at #30 or whatever to accumulate enough points, while other songs that have gone on to reach 1B to 1.5B Gaon points are clearly national hits.

• I guess some people think for a song to be considered a national hit, it has to be liked by more than just young Kpop fans. National implies the whole nation, and the GP is a lot bigger than just young Koreans in their teens and 20s.

I dont buy this though. It's impossible to write a song that appeals to everyone. I believe in stats, not hearsay about who is listening to a song in Korea.

A national hit for me starts when a song reaches 850M Gaon Points for songs from 2020 and later. For songs before then 900M-1B should be the threshold. Once a song reaches these thresholds, then we can talk about whether it truly qualifies. Some songs are borderline like those songs that never peaked at #1 but stayed on the charts for years at #30 or whatever to accumulate enough points, while other songs that have gone on to reach 1B to 1.5B Gaon points are clearly national hits.

You say math and charts points and I just... :peperun:

I go out LOL

• what about boomers???

such as LSM??? lol

LSM can't be given the same credit as JYP oppa

Stream the masterpiece

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• LSM can't be given the same credit as JYP oppa

Stream the masterpiece

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I was talking about actual boomers born from 1946-1964

That would even leave me out by 4 years but why discriminate? K pop should be enjoyed by fans of all ages, I’m only in it in the first place because my daughter introduced me to it. I’ve heard of people a lot older than me bopping to Gangnam Style when it came out.

• That would even leave me out by 4 years but why discriminate? K pop should be enjoyed by fans of all ages, I’m only in it in the first place because my daughter introduced me to it. I’ve heard of people a lot older than me bopping to Gangnam Style when it came out.

See? Different ages = different tastes. I hated Gangnam Style from the very beginning, not even Hyuna could save it for me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!