As an ifan, what’s your main social concern with kpop

• None cause all these things aren’t exclusive to Kpop, but you see it everywhere in the world.

Just because it isn't exclusive to Kpop doesn't mean it's not concerning.

If the question was "What's your main social concern with America" and "Racism" was on that list, would you say "None cause all these things aren't exclusive to America"...

Any kind of discrimination is concerning.

✧ "Got no time for haters 모두 다 집어치워 버려" ✧

• Just because it isn't exclusive to Kpop doesn't mean it's not concerning.

If the question was "What's your main social concern with America" and "Racism" was on that list, would you say "None cause all these things aren't exclusive to America"...

Any kind of discrimination is concerning.

I think you are misunderstanding me here.

I mean these things are concerning. But I don’t see it solely as a concern within Kpop.

These are general concerns to me, no matter if it happens in Kpop or anywhere else.

• None because maybe ifans shouldn't attempt to force their americanized views even more into something that while influenced by american pop music is nevertheless not american.

This. This SO MUCH. The social issues that South Korea is concerned with are DIFFERENT than the ones which international fans (especially Americans) seem to think are prevalent around the world.

Here are some things which are not on the list provided by OP, but which are pretty serious issues in South Korea:

• Class warfare, expressed through the phenomenon of school bullying (rather than, say, racism or colourism. Bullying not because of your race or skin colour or your sexual identity, but because of your economic and social background.)
    • Inappropriate behaviours by idols as moral exemplars (according to Confucian social standards). Drugs, promiscuity, drinking that causes harm to others, educational cheating, financial cheating, etc.
    • Regional geopolitics vis-a-vis Japan and China, as well as South East Asia. Here's a fun one: China literally lost territory (including Hong Kong) because of drugs imported from Western countries infecting their society. (See the Opium Wars). They absolutely HATE celebrities who are drug users and are currently considering banning them for life. All of China's neighbours (like South Korea) learned that if your citizens get addicted to drugs, it could lead to wars which directly impact your national power. And if you have territory that falls under Western influence too long (like Hong Kong's rule by the British drug smugglers for 100 years), it can create many societal problems later, even after re-integration.
  • I think you are misunderstanding me here.

I mean these things are concerning. But I don’t see it solely as a concern within Kpop.

These are general concerns to me, no matter if it happens in Kpop or anywhere else.

so you are telling me you see nothing socially wrong with Kpop? 🤔

• lol I get you! kpop idols have long training hours and work to create fun content. It is not their responsibility to fight social issues. Look for people who are responsible.

Am I the only one not understanding the question?

"As an ifan, what’s your main social concern with kpop"

I don't think the question asked whether or

not Kpop idols should fix social issues.

The OP is asking "Do you see social issues in Kpop that are concerning as an international fan"

There are so many social issues in Kpop, from the trainee system to discrimination... I just don't see how some of you say None...

I mean I guess it's an opinion?

But in my opinion, being oblivious to the social problems is kinda quite concerning.

• Agree :thumbup:

• Ah I get OPs question now. Yes, of course there are many social issues from colorism to sexism

• People got into Kpop for the entertainment and joy that it brings. No one can force them to represent something or act as a voice for them regarding all these issues because we can do it ourselves. Because they also have a choice.

• When idols make hurtful comments or make fun of their darker skin members' skin tones (drawing them much darker, saying that they need to scrub harder), especially when you can see the member look visibly uncomfortable. These idols have fans that are much darker than the member they are teasing so imagine how that would make fans feel. It's just not right.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!