When did "Let's not assume idols' sexualities" equate to assuming they were straight?

• i'm sure that people who say to not assume anyone's sexuality include straight too. they are into respecting their privacy. on twitter, those who assume or fantasize about idols being gay, because there's no proof they aren't (there's no proof they are either but who cares i guess), block everyone who tells them to not assume their sexuality. disagreeing with assuming they are gay makes you a homophobe so #block.

when i search yoongi on twitter, 50% of times suggested search is "yoongi gay". people really want him to be gay lol

• Some LGBT fans do the most, it’s best to assume everyone is straight (if you’re gonna assume) unless they saw otherwise.

This is like when RM is spotted with his male friend and *some Armys were saying they were in a date and that’s his BF, and it’s like it’s ok to joke but then people started getting serious, like 1. RM uses social media and so do his friends as they send him stuff often and y’all just assigned that man a whole sexuality and you don’t even know him. But they don’t wanna talk about THAT!

It’s alot of projection!

• here, like i said above some really wants yoongi (and bts) to be gay

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• How about not assuming their sexuality? It’s none of our business and why is it important?

But „don’t assume their sexuality“ very often just means „don’t assume they are queer“.

If people write about how happy their future wife/husband will be or discuss nonsense like ideal height or things like that, no one has a problem that they all assume their idols are straight. But as soon as someone writes about them maybe being queer, than people start with: don’t assume because that hurt them blablabla...

• No one is bashing LGBT people its just idols are from Korea a very conservative place more than likely they are indeed straight some LGBT people make it seem as if every group has at least 2 or 1 LGBT people when in reality that's not the case, also there are OPENLY LGBT idols y'all pay DUST to but praise idols who could be straight as gay and lesbian kings and queens its so weird to me like I'm sure RM Jungkook Irene Rosé Sana are all straight even when they do say they're straight y'all make them out to be homophobic like sehun, I'm over the LGBT fetish kpop stans have it's weird

• Well assuming someone is straight isn’t even really an assumption, cause over 90% of the human population are heterosexual or are mostly attracted to people from the opposite sex. So being straight is actually the norm if you look at numbers.(not saying being LGBT isn’t normal, it’s just not the norm)

Being part of the LGBT is being part of a very small minority when it comes to sexuality which is below 10%. So assuming someone might be part of it is kinda weird cause what are you basing this on ? Cause almost every time people speculate about someone’s sexuality it’s based on pretty stereotypical aspects. Like how they talk, the way they dress ( e.g. men who like fashion and have a more androgynous look are often accused of being gay) and their overall demeanor. Or in Kpop Bromance situations.

Also there have been many cases were Idols were speculated to be gay, even though they once revealed to have been in a heterosexual or have been caught in a heterosexual relationship or described their ideal type which was someone from the opposite sex… so why assume their sexuality when it’s almost confirmed? So people saying they are more likely straight and we should stop speculating have valid reasons tho.

Context matters. Cause I have never seen someone making a Thread debating if someone is straight, so I guess people brought it up when celebrities sexuality was discussed again.

I know LGBT+ wants representation. But that’s not it.

• No one is bashing LGBT people its just idols are from Korea a very conservative place more than likely they are indeed straight some LGBT people make it seem as if every group has at least 2 or 1 LGBT people when in reality that's not the case, also there are OPENLY LGBT idols y'all pay DUST to but praise idols who could be straight as gay and lesbian kings and queens its so weird to me like I'm sure RM Jungkook Irene Rosé Sana are all straight even when they do say they're straight y'all make them out to be homophobic like sehun, I'm over the LGBT fetish kpop stans have it's weird

I don't think we should be assuming people's sexuality either but a country being conservative has 0 to do with people being LGBT (just being openly LGBT, which is a different matter). It actually is a bit offensive as you make it sound like it's a choice. One's surroundings have 0 effect on that person's sexual orientation. Korea is no different than the rest of the world as far as sexuality, it's just different how open they are about it. Statistically, larger groups more than likely have at least one LGBT member. We won't even know unless they say, and we shouldn't guess who that is, but your statement about "in reality that's not the case" is far from truthful, especially if you're talking about larger groups.

• numerically speaking, most people identify as heterosexual and most idols actively present themselves as heterosexuals, so fans don't have to go out of their way to prove that a certain idol is heterosexual. It's always the other way around and when people say "don't assume idols' sexuality" it is usual toward fans who use conjectures and obscure evidence to prove a certain idol is LGBT often even when the idol themselves revealed to be heterosexual before.

• Do you think a straight idol said to be LGBT would feel the same as an LGBT idol said to be straight? No, the second one has nothing to lose unlike the first one because Its something that is still not normalised or well seen specially in countries like Korea, so if they haven't spoken openly about their sexuality is because they are straight or simply they don't want people to find out they are LGBT.

and yes makes sense someone "assume" they are straight since that is a majority

• The way y’all acting like bisexuality ain’t a thing I-

:pepewhat:

But on a real note, my thing is the fact that even if an idol was LGBT, there’s no way in hell anyone from an even somewhat relevant group is going to admit that. So I wouldn’t expect anyone to be open tbh, since they’d have to deal with tons of backlash from the public and their company so, they’d quite literally have everything to lose unfortunately. But personally I don’t assume either way, just how like in real life I don’t look at a person and immediately start speculating on their sexuality based off nonsense.

• What if we stop digging into idols' sexual life in a first place :pepepizza:

I DO agree though that there is a double standard.

Why are you so bothered when someone say 'X is gay' as if it was a terrible insult, but seems to think that saying 'X is straight' is the norm so is totally fine. No one should be bothered if someone ( mistakenly or not ) assume they are gay.

Do you think I get offended when people think I'm straight ? No. I just make sure to get the point accross in the next five minutes but that's another story.

• I don’t think anyone would care if someone mistakenly thought someone is LGBT… but that’s not what’s happening. People create whole Threads, videos and whatsoever to prove that their faves are part of the LGBT, it goes further than just mistakenly assuming, it’s almost like they are trying manifest it or are convinced they are. People don’t do that to prove a celebrity is straight or not. It’s simply not discussed.

It has went so far that several celebrities felt the need to address it and state that they are not LGBT because it has already reached the level of harassment. (e.g Shawn Mendes case). And than if they say they want people to stop assuming, they get accused of being homophobic, because why are you bothered that some random people constantly assume your sexuality.

Technically it shouldn’t be an insult to assume someone is gay whatsoever. But it somehow still indirectly is, cause what are you basing your assumptions on. What makes you think someone is Gay, Lesbian or Bi if they have never talked about it ? It goes back to what I said earlier, people assume these things based on stereotypes. Someone who appears gender confirming will less likely be accused of being LGBT than someone who appears gender- nonconfirming. And even if you do that with no bad intentions, homophobes are assuming someone’s sexuality based on how gender-nonconfirming someone is as well and they are doing it to insult.

We are also not living in this utopian world where your sexuality doesn’t matter. Being straight is seen as the norm, numbers wise it also is. Being LGBT is still met with ignorance and lack of understanding, especially in a still very conservative country like Korea, where being “different” isn’t met with that open arms.

If you had your coming out and don’t care about what others think, that’s good for you, but others aren’t that bold yet. Assuming someone is straight is still the better option for a celebrity than assuming that they are LGBT cause this often follows with troubles for them.

The best thing is to not assume at all.

• I don’t think anyone would care if someone mistakenly thought someone is LGBT… but that’s not what’s happening. People create whole Threads, videos and whatsoever to prove that their faves are part of the LGBT, it goes further than just mistakenly assuming, it’s almost like they are trying manifest it or are convinced they are. People don’t do that to prove a celebrity is straight or not. It’s simply not discussed.

It has went so far that several celebrities felt the need to address it and state that they are not LGBT because it has already reached the level of harassment. (e.g Shawn Mendes case). And than if they say they want people to stop assuming, they get accused of being homophobic, because why are you bothered that some random people constantly assume your sexuality.

To be honest I agree with you.

I found myself pretty uncomfortable with these 'videos' that are supposed to 'prove' that someone is LGBT. Because if you actually think that, then that really seems like an attempt to out these people without their consent. I honestly think a lot of these videos and threads are from straight people who romanticizes LGBT struggles. Or from LGBT people who were lucky enough to have a positive experience with their coming out and such I guess.

Generally treating someone's sexuality as some kind of conspiracy is super uncomfy. If you want to think that one idol is gay, then it's okay. But trying to 'prove' it makes no sense. This is not something that will become 'more real' the more people believe in it.

About Shawn Mendes, or recently Billie Eilish, this is pretty weird that fans are feeling so betrayed by their sexuality. Like, if you want to stan someone specifically from the LGBT community, then please do so ? Not in kpop, but in the us pop industry there are plenty of people who are out. Don't just assume that someone is, and then start crying betrayal when it turns out you're wrong.

• I feel really strongly about this subject. I am bisexual but have been called homophobic because I object to people being called gay or bisexual with no proof. Of course not all idols will be straight, and I would never for one moment assume they all are. But the difference is you don’t see people making twitter threads or YouTube videos trying to prove someone is straight, whereas there is a whole culture of doing that to prove someone is LGBT.

The entitlement is what gets me. No one is obligated to fit your fantasy version of them. It would be the same if Holland fans insisted he was straight. It’s not our place to decide what their sexuality is, and frankly it shouldn’t matter. Chaeyoung from Twice is a perfect example, when she was revealed to be dating, there were people saying they refuse to accept she isn’t a lesbian. That shows zero respect for her if their love for her is dependent on her sexuality. Sehun has to straight up deny it as he kept getting asked, and people responded by saying he is lying.

Plus, for idols who are in the community, and we have no way of knowing who unless they say, it must be very daunting to see people endlessly speculate. Korea is not that accepting. I also don’t think it is healthy for people to spend their time doing that. I understand wanting representation, but spending your time online trying to convince yourself your favourite idol is like you will not end well. The who is gay and lesbian threads on onehallyu are the most ridiculous things I’ve seen, the logic is absurd. It’s mostly shipping nonsense or calling someone gay because they like a song or film etc. Then you get people saying all members of BTS are LGBT... as someone who struggled before accepting my own sexuality, I don’t think it is a healthy outlet for people to come to terms with their own sexuality at all.

• I feel really strongly about this subject. I am bisexual but have been called homophobic because I object to people being called gay or bisexual with no proof. Of course not all idols will be straight, and I would never for one moment assume they all are. But the difference is you don’t see people making twitter threads or YouTube videos trying to prove someone is straight, whereas there is a whole culture of doing that to prove someone is LGBT.

The entitlement is what gets me. No one is obligated to fit your fantasy version of them. It would be the same if Holland fans insisted he was straight. It’s not our place to decide what their sexuality is, and frankly it shouldn’t matter. Chaeyoung from Twice is a perfect example, when she was revealed to be dating, there were people saying they they refuse to accept she isn’t a lesbian. That shows zero respect for her if their love for her is dependent on her sexuality. Sehun has to straight up deny it as he kept getting asked, and people responded by saying he is lying.

Plus, for idols who are in the community, and we have no way of knowing who unless they say, it must be very daunting to see people endlessly speculate. Korea is not that accepting. I also don’t think it is healthy for people to spend their time doing that. I understand wanting representation, but spending your time online trying to convince yourself your favourite idol is like you will not end well. The who is gay and lesbian threads on onehallyu are the most ridiculous things I’ve seen, the logic is absurd. It’s mostly shipping nonsense or calling someone gay because they like a song or film etc. Then you get people saying all members of BTS are LGBT... as someone who struggled before accepting my own sexuality, I don’t think it is a healthy outlet for people to come to terms with their own sexuality at all.

You said everything I wanted to say

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!