Official Digital Thread

• whew the bar is so low nowadays.... 430k uls for a #1 on melon daily... if it was april 2019 you wouldnt even enter the top 10 with that amount of uls lmao

Yeah, the ULs seems to be on a downhill esp after that chart reform (realtime -> 24Hits) last year. How many acts manage to surpass 700k ULs after that reform, I think only 4? IU, BTS, variety show acts. Even 500k ULs is a tough mark to reach. 500k is the new 1M ULs for me now.

• Yeah, the ULs seems to be on a downhill esp after that chart reform (realtime -> 24Hits) last year. How many acts manage to surpass 700k ULs after that reform, I think only 4? IU, BTS, variety show acts. Even 500k ULs is a tough mark to reach. 500k is the new 1M ULs for me now.

a sign for melon to bring back the realtime system... and better start counting from 1am-7am kst again like they did pre-july 2018 lol

• a sign for melon to bring back the realtime system... and better start counting from 1am-7am kst again like they did pre-july 2018 lol

Lol maybe they will in the future, if they keep losing subscription/streams. They changed the 24Hits to Top100 pretty fast after all, not even a year after 24Hits got implemented. That 24Hits system really took a toll on their users activity I think.

• Lol maybe they will in the future, if they keep losing subscription/streams. They changed the 24Hits to Top100 pretty fast after all, not even a year after 24Hits got implemented. That 24Hits system really took a toll on their users activity I think.

definitely... idol group fans moved from melon to easier charts to chart on like bugs and genie. melon thought making top100 will win them back, but things just dont look right for them anymore. youtube music also coming for their spot

i hope gaon eventually realizes the significance of youtube music in korea, next level couldve gone #1 if they counted streams from yt music... also i hope they weigh down downloads a bit and weigh streams more

• definitely... idol group fans moved from melon to easier charts to chart on like bugs and genie. melon thought making top100 will win them back, but things just dont look right for them anymore. youtube music also coming for their spot

i hope gaon eventually realizes the significance of youtube music in korea, next level couldve gone #1 if they counted streams from yt music... also i hope they weigh down downloads a bit and weigh streams more

I'm not sure abt weighing down downloads, afaik Gaon Digi Point basically shows you how much money a song generated. So, ofc downloads will weigh a lot more than streams.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Didn’t TTN pass 2m already?

Edit: it’s at

1,997,500,259 points tho

• It's become quite hard to chart high on genie these day lol

ღ(¯`◕‿◕´¯) ♫ ♪ ♫ ʀօֆɛ ♫ ♪ ♫ (¯`◕‿◕´¯)ღ

7f9eee2656e838706ac90eac4079b6769f3c89b3.gifv fae84f51726793451a4df2eef61fd17a5162886c.gifv daafb8895819753cec2500fb0703ef2c89a49e7b.gifv

• Isn’t YTM the 2nd most popular streaming service (even over Genie)? Why do you guys think GAON hasn’t tracked YTM streams yet when it had the biggest growth among other services? And would that make a huge impact index points wise?

• Isn’t YTM the 2nd most popular streaming service (even over Genie)? Why do you guys think GAON hasn’t tracked YTM streams yet when it had the biggest growth among other services? And would that make a huge impact index points wise?

I feel GAON digital chart is more like revenue chart so probably they want to take revenue generated only by Korean based companies into consideration that's why they are not using YouTube Music. This way I can see how much these Korean artists are earning from these Korean digital platforms.

It is very clear that YTM is being used by Koreans (especially teens) more than other Korean streaming services except Melon.

Impact of adding YTM as another streaming platform will be probably kpop groups charting more and better while other artists who are not as much fandom based will not benefit that much from it.

• I feel GAON digital chart is more like revenue chart so probably they want to take revenue generated only by Korean based companies into consideration that's why they are not using YouTube Music. This way I can see how much these Korean artists are earning from these Korean digital platforms.

It is very clear that YTM is being used by Koreans (especially teens) more than other Korean streaming services except Melon.

Impact of adding YTM as another streaming platform will be probably kpop groups charting more and better while other artists who are not as much fandom based will not benefit that much from it.

Do you think part of it’s rapid growth came from users switching over from other services? I think if that was the case then most likely it’ll have a huge effect on the index points in the future as the teens (the future) prefer to listen there. Just a scenario, what if one day the usage percentage was 50% YTM, 50% everyone else. Should they start tracking now or are they just gonna watch it surpass the oldest hag Melon?

• congrats bts and itzy! did so well! both in top 40. :-)

• External Content twitter.com

• Do you think part of it’s rapid growth came from users switching over from other services? I think if that was the case then most likely it’ll have a huge effect on the index points in the future as the teens (the future) prefer to listen there. Just a scenario, what if one day the usage percentage was 50% YTM, 50% everyone else. Should they start tracking now or are they just gonna watch it surpass the oldest hag Melon?

I think everyone benefitted from Melon losing listeners not only YTM. Idk the raw numbers others can tell us better but I have seen Genie and Flo only grow since last year. Melon is the only one losing listeners I feel.

I don't think digital points are something for GAON to worry about. Because they are just compiling data given to them by these digital platforms and showing them to the people.

Now it is upto GAON what they want to show to the people and their followers about what they want to see.

If they want how much Korean artists are earning through Korean digitals only then they will never add YTM. (Current situation)

If they wany how much Korean artists are earning overall through digital platforms from Korea then they will have to add YTM and other platforms as well like Spotify Korea, Apple Music Korea, etc.

• I feel GAON digital chart is more like revenue chart so probably they want to take revenue generated only by Korean based companies into consideration that's why they are not using YouTube Music. This way I can see how much these Korean artists are earning from these Korean digital platforms.

I'm not sure abt weighing down downloads, afaik Gaon Digi Point basically shows you how much money a song generated. So, ofc downloads will weigh a lot more than streams.

Huh, gaon digital chart is not a revenue chart, its the chart furthest from it, as they only do daily ULs. If it was a revenue chart they would track every stream unfiltered. Its a lousy chart for showing what songs make the most money, especially now with downloads being a smaller factor than ever.

The song that have made the most money by far this year is barely able to enter gaon top 50, yet it beats almost every song week after week in unfiltered streams (=revenue)

This is also the hinderance for gaon to add ytm, youtube doesnt do its filtering on unique listeners like all the other data gaon pulls in is. They cant mix one kind of dataset with a filtering that youtube won't disclose how its done, with all their existing datasets that are based on uls. The other problem is ofc that the youtube chart is much much easier to manipulate and also way easier for overseas fan to affect, which is a problem when gaon digital is all about the domestic market.

Like this got me thinking what if one day, their biggest platform is not the biggest platform anymore? Are people here still gonna take gaon seriously knowing it doesn’t reflect what MOST are listening to anymore? I can see the users double by next year it’s gonna happen.

The problem with these numbers is that they are estimates done on app installation %, i have ytm app installed on my phone since forever, i never use it..

Melon is still by far the biggest service.

Youtube is growing yes, but the problem with youtube is that its top chart never really lines up well with the other big domestic charts, so usersbase and listening/viewing habits or their filtering does not really make it representive of what the gp as whole is tuning into in many cases.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!