Public recognition and popularity in Japan (BTS, SVT, EXO in the ranking)

• The Nikkei Talent Ranking is the most important ranking to measure the actual popularity of a group and the recognition of the general public.

This ranking has been published for decades, and is much more prestigious than LINE's ranking.

So, when someone mentions the most popular groups in Japan, they should not be guided by charts (oricon, billboard), sales, or tours, they should be guided by this ranking.

The 2021 ranking (Arashi is in hiatus, so it was not taken into account)

E2-CB-lXEAECHFb?format=png&name=large

E2-CGp2XIAAjGHw?format=png&name=900x900

• auspop

Changed the title of the thread from “Public recognition in Japan (BTS, SVT, EXO in the ranking)” to “Public recognition and popularity in Japan (BTS, SVT, EXO in the ranking)”.
  • Tokio is on top and surpassed V6? I'm shocked. Is that because Tomoya Nagase drama last season Ore no ie hanashi? But Tokio is Johnny's group who always popular among males.

Hihijets even haven't debut yet, but they're on the list :sweatr:

TOKIO is that group that even 50-year-old men like.

impressive HiHi, I was surprised not to see Traja or Naniwa

• It is curious because it is most probably that Traja will debut in 2022

I'm actually clueless about traja popularity, except Miyachika who might be the well known member.

If janizu planning to debut them next year, I hope their popularity rise. It will be sad if they only sell 200k-300k for debut album. While Sixtones and Snowman already have a well established fandoms for years.

• So, when someone mentions the most popular groups in Japan, they should not be guided by charts (oricon, billboard), sales, or tours, they should be guided by this ranking.

your opinion does not make it a fact. :pepe-peek:

• I'm actually clueless about traja popularity, except Miyachika who might be the well known member.

If janizu planning to debut them next year, I hope their popularity rise. It will be sad if they only sell 200k-300k for debut album. While Sixtones and Snowman already have a well established fandoms for years.

Toraja debut will probably sell 700k-800k :peperun:

• public interest in BTS must be higer then 20% otherwise theboy group wouldn't Rank #1 in japanese Charts.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://www.allkpop.com/articl…apans-oricon-weekly-chart

• stream is not the only parameter to measure popularity

(let's not even mention the manipulation of charts that kpop fandoms do, hello stream parties)

Also, people may know the song, but they don't know who the artist is.

For example maybe people know dynamite, but they have no idea who is BTS, you show the photo of V to a Japanese man, and he will have no idea who the guy in the image is, instead you show him a picture of a V6 member, and the Japanese will tell you "oh yeah, this guy is a V6 member"

Edited once, last by auspop ().

• your opinion does not make it a fact. :pepe-peek:

She's telling the truth. You can see Nikkei's list like the Gallup list in Korea. It shows real popularity.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• OMG my poor group KAT-TUN still in the TOP 5 :pepe-sad: Having Nakamaru on the popular morning show and Ueda on the game show really helped them. Plus, having Kamenashi Kazuya is a bonus in itself. :yesr:

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• stream is not the only parameter to measure popularity

neither is a survey and yet you're talking as if it's the only way to measure an artist popularity. even gallup which is considered as “the most reliable ranking in korea" has faced criticism for its inaccurate data.

and fans are people too, their streaming power is limited, not even the biggest fandom can compete against gp, specially in a market like japan where streaming is new and fans arent exactly kwown for it, that's why dynamite is still charting in the top #5 of jp biggest charts while lgo is around top #100 or out.

• neither is a survey and yet you're talking as if it's the only way to measure an artist popularity. even gallup which is considered as “the most reliable ranking in korea" has faced criticism for its inaccurate data.

and fans are people too, their streaming power is limited, not even the biggest fandom can compete against gp, specially in a market like japan where streaming is new and fans arent exactly kwown for it, that's why dynamite is still charting in the top #5 of jp biggest charts while lgo is around top #100 or out.

people maybe know dynamite, but they have no idea who is BTS (they still a niche act), that's the difference with the groups that top the ranking

• If I like the music of a kpop group it's not needed to know all group member in detail.

As I watched SNSD MV 'GEE' First time on YouTube (2011) I didn't know one member by Name.

Two years later I've been a SONE and knew each member (searched member Profile)

Itself 10 years later I don't know Name of all members of kpop groups which I Like.

• you're so funny trying to downplay bts success and even saying something as ridiculous as them being a “niche act” LMAO. no niche act can get a #1 in billboard japan with only digitals beating local acts with huge sales or being the second biggest artist in the first half of the year or break streaming records. btw they're also very present in japanese media obviously not as much as local artists but still.

• you're so funny trying to downplay bts success and even saying something as ridiculous as them being a “niche act” LMAO. no niche act can get a #1 in billboard japan with only digitals beating local acts with huge sales or being the second biggest artist in the first half of the year or break streaming records. btw they're also very present in japanese media obviously not as much as local artists but still.

God girl, the acts that surpass BTS are not only known for their music, they are acts that have a presence all over Japan.

And yes, BTS is a niche act, a 40-year-old Japanese man is not going to listen to BTS, that is the difference of BTS with groups like TOKIO or V6, those are acts that are known between men and women, either from 15 years olds or 50 years olds. Only Tomoya Nagase (TOKIO member) has more relevance in Japan than all Kpop

streaming is not everything ...

• This is really interesting..I would have expected Tohoshinki and maybe NCT on here given the success of their last Japanese tours (in 2019 and just into 2020, granted, but no one was really touring last year) and am impressed to still see EXO..

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• This survey isn't a good measure of what is currently popular.It's one thing if people were answering just who they recognize, but when you also ask them if they're interested in these groups right now and you see how the responses are all around 70% it clearly shows this doesn't measure the true popularity of groups right now.

All of these jpop groups are relying on their fandom to sustain themselves right now, without any hits on the charts since forever, so maybe people are just misunderstanding the second question, I don't know.

• This survey isn't a good measure of what is currently popular.It's one thing if people were answering just who they recognize, but when you also ask them if they're interested in these groups right now and you see how the responses are all around 70% it clearly shows this doesn't measure the true popularity of groups right now.

All of these jpop groups are relying on their fandom to sustain themselves right now, without any hits on the charts since forever, so maybe people are just misunderstanding the second question, I don't know.

remember that popularity in Japan is not just about hits in the charts. The best example is TOKIO, their last release was 4 years ago, and despite that they are still very relevant within the GP

• remember that popularity in Japan is not just about hits in the charts. The best example is TOKIO, their last release was 4 years ago, and despite that they are still very relevant within the GP

But that's what people are gonna take from this survey when they look at the numbers.

So I had to explain that people should not take these numbers at face value if we're talking about popularity as artists right now.

• But that's what people are gonna take from this survey when they look at the numbers.

So I had to explain that people should not take these numbers at face value if we're talking about popularity as artists right now.

remember this is about "GP", not fandom, the gp includes from 12 year old boys, to 50/60 year old men, and in Japan the average age is over 40 years. The list makes sense to me

• remember this is about "GP", not fandom, the gp includes from 12 year old boys, to 50/60 year old men, and in Japan the average age is over 40 years. The list makes sense to me

But that's my point, it is about GP.

and if someone reads through the survey they might get the misconception that these groups are CURRENTLY super popular with the GP of Japan with their music, since they are music groups. And I'm trying to point out that is not the case.

• But that's my point, it is about GP.

and if someone reads through the survey they might get the misconception that these groups are CURRENTLY super popular with the GP of Japan with their music, since they are music groups. And I'm trying to point out that is not the case.

but if they are super popular, remember that in Japan idols are not just musicians, they are also actors, news presenters, sports reporters, acrobats, etc etc, all that influences, being an idol in Japan is an entertainment package. It's different from kpop, where it's practically just about music

obviously there are still "niche" acts on the list, like Kpop groups, JO1 and even SixTONES. But at least I think there are no great discussions within the top 10

• This thread contains 25 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!