Should Korean TV point out lip syncing?

• In Chinese TV its banned to lip sync without informing your viewer because government views it as a sort of "lie told to the audience".

This doesn't means they can't lip sync but they have to inform the viewer that its not a live performance.

This new rule also changed the dynamics in lots of idol survival shows too because idols true vocals are exposed to everyone.

Do you think a such rule should be present in KPop too? Like in Korean TV?

Edited once, last by Ves: Title change: "ban" -> "point out" for clarity. ().

• No, they should just tell everyone that they do it. But I think they don't care to tell the audience because the majority of KPOP fans already know lip sync is a norm in the industry. If they ban it, I'm pretty sure fewer groups/idols can sing while dancing heavily.

• I agree with others that there should be a disclaimer of some sort. Dancing, especially the crazy choreographies lots of groups have, will affect their singing abilities significantly. It's important to me to know they sound good live while they're standing or sitting, that's it. Music shows aren't that important to me personally, but singing live in concerts is imo. Also, I wish music shows would let bands play their instruments live. Apparently it takes too much of their sweet time to let them set up the instruments :rolleyes:

• do most groups lip sync? don’t they usually sing over a loud backing track?

but honestly i don’t really mind the lip sync when they’re performing. they’re working hard to show fans a good performance and they obviously want their vocals to sound great and as close to the original. but that’s hard to achieve with the intense choreo and strict practice regime they have to follow. their vocals barely have time to rest. a slight voice crack, and your videos will be circulated on social media and you’ll be a laughing stock

but if it’s a performance with no choreo, i think i would want them to sing live

• I know it is hard to sing and dance at the same time while they go through dieting and not much sleep, but I'd appreciate a live performance more even if it doesn't sound as nice.

Now enforcing a ban completely seems a bit too extreme. I think it is fine to the free market to decide on this. Each company should be able to make a call here. Of course if they advertise live performance and not delivery on that (like concert), yeah it's not cool and some financial consequence should occur. Survival shows should be mostly live as well as the competitors are there to be judged on. Otherwise, it's not the end of the world if a performance is lip sinc or not on a TV music show.

EDIT: oh didn't read initial comment. Well. I agree with the identification if it's live or lip sinc. It would make easier for us viewers.

• Yes there definitely should be a disclaimer.

They train all this time to sing and dance at the same time. Ppl will understand it's not perfect.

What's the point of lip-syncing the majority of your life as a performer ?

Changed the title of the thread from “Should Korean TV ban lip syncing?” to “Should Korean TV point out lip syncing?”.
  • For most singers energetic dancing will have a horrible effect on vocals though. I don't think "as live" vocals are about vanity, but about giving the fans the best possible viewing (and listening) experience. It frees them up to dance without having to worry about conserving their breath.

If it comes to it I prefer a seemingly live lip synced performance over what we hear on some encore stages. There's a reason most groups have taken to the casual/comical encore stage concept instead of seizing the chance to belt out the song again. We all know most of our faves are not the vocal sons and daughters of Celine Dion. We don't need the proof.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!