Musi​c shows wi​ll be much more i​nteresti​ng i​f the nomi​nati​ons for wi​nner could only be the performi​ng groups

• Why give awards to the songs when these groups don't even show up to perform? There is already gaon charts which show which songs are popular in korea. Music shows are watched by kpop fans who want to see the performance of their group. So many will try their best to vote but the song which is highest in korean charts will win anyway even if the artist don't perform at the show. At the end; there is no celebration; no sense of winning and losing. Only THE SHOW has this option where you have to perform to be nominated and smaller groups fans only hope is this show.

• attendance based music shows do exist like mcountdown and the show which you already mentioned

i think it’s good the way it is. and the only reason why you’re saying this is because you’re mad about bts snatching up wins, i know.

• Official Post

People only want the rules to br changed so it suits their faves. Honestly the only rule it needs is ineligible after X number of wins or X number of weeks.

Also there's a reason most people dump on The Show for being the easiest music show to win and that's part of it.

• Why do ARMY have to turn this into hate for BTS instead of just on principle? It makes no sense for groups to win who don’t attend. It’s a music show, not a chart.

• Why give awards to the songs when these groups don't even show up to perform? There is already gaon charts which show which songs are popular in korea. Music shows are watched by kpop fans who want to see the performance of their group. So many will try their best to vote but the song which is highest in korean charts will win anyway even if the artist don't perform at the show. At the end; there is no celebration; no sense of winning and losing. Only THE SHOW has this option where you have to perform to be nominated and smaller groups fans only hope is this show.

MCountdown requires promotion to even be nominated there too, but you don't want to hear that.

Music Core even lowered the max amount of wins a song can get, it's 5 now.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Dynamite traumatized the K-pop community and it shows.

tbf kpop fans (especially smaller groups stan and multi stans) talk about it since 2013 and exo. Idk about before but you cna find people talking about it as soon as 2013.

If anything, its probably exo and Snsd that traumatized, though in the last few years its clear that bts was the main winner (though they only really broke the system in 2020)

• Why do ARMY have to turn this into hate for BTS instead of just on principle? It makes no sense for groups to win who don’t attend. It’s a music show, not a chart.

Because BTS is the only top group that hasn't gone on a music show in over a year.

Music Core literally changed their rule for max number of wins after Dynamite kept winning.

And people already know Butter will be winning on several shows because of its insanely high digital and voting scores.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• tbf kpop fans (especially smaller groups stan and multi stans) talk about it since 2013 and exo. Idk about before but you cna find people talking about it as soon as 2013.

If anything, its probably exo and Snsd that traumatized, though in the last few years its clear that bts was the main winner (though they only really broke the system in 2020)

Fans want their groups to get rewarded by having valid competition disqualified. That's just plain pity.

If you really want them to win: vote, stream, and buy more than other groups or soloists promoting at the same time.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• for me it should be this way

You want to win 727261 times in our program? Then at least perform 1 time for our audience. Then after this one performance they can even end promotions of song yet if it charts/sells well and fans are voting for it then let it be, let it win.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I personally think it is fair that you win when you perform and you don't win if you don't perform, but then again not all groups have a free schedule to go on music shows because they have other promotions for example.

I think a good compromise is allowing groups who don't attend to win max 1 time, and subsequent wins if they don't perform/attend, then the next artist will win instead. I'm not sure if this has already been implemented though maybe?

• What I don't understand is why do we bend the rules for OSTs (OSTs are not allowed to be nominated period. No exceptions) but groups who don't promote can still get nominated.

To me, there would be no music show if it weren't for the performers. So the least they could do is reward the people showing up and incentivize the top tier groups to actually promote.

• though in the last few years its clear that bts was the main winner (though they only really broke the system in 2020)

Nope, Boy with Luv broke Gangnam Style's 7 year record in 2019. People were pissed at BTS winning weeks after release, even though they had actually promoted the song...

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Fans want their groups to get rewarded by having valid competition disqualified. That's just plain pity.

If you really want them to win: vote, stream, and buy more than other groups or soloists promoting at the same time.

Key word here is "promoting"

How can you win few times in a music show that you didn't even attend at least 1 time?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Key word here is "promoting"

How can you win few times in a music show that you didn't even attend at least 1 time?

Because 4 out of the 6 music shows don't have rules saying you can't nominated if you don't perform.

I keep telling people to petition to the networks so they can see that there's a demand for the rules to be changed. Complaining on social media does NOTHING to change the system.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Official Post

MCountdown requires promotion to even be nominated there too, but you don't want to hear that.

Music Core even lowered the max amount of wins a song can get, it's 5 now.

I'm okay for limiting the number of wins if only because the show is supposed to be about promoting new stuff. I remember even back on TRL that after X amount of weeks a song would be put into the Hall of Fame and retired because their ratings would drop in the last 15 mins because everyone knew who number 1 would be.

• I'm okay for limiting the number of wins if only because the show is supposed to be about promoting new stuff. I remember even back on TRL that after X amount of weeks a song would be put into the Hall of Fame and retired because their ratings would drop in the last 15 mins because everyone knew who number 1 would be.

3/6 shows have a triple crown system, MuCore has a 5-win limit now. Only Music Bank and The Show have unlimited wins systems, but you have to attend The Show.

Music Bank is the only show where one can win indefinitely with no attendance.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• You all need to realise that the main 3 music shows don't have shows but the charts and they promote their charts outside their music shows. So it isn't limited to the time of the show. That's why they are more relevant as they are used even after the show has aired for the week unlike the other 3 who have no relevance after they go off air.

• to be fair, it's a music show.

it's about the song (music) that performed according to criteria set by the networks? not a "performance/promotion" show.

we can't do much about it. maybe fans can e-mail networks to make suggestions.

ngl. i miss bts in music shows. can't believe it's been 1+ years.

• Fans want their groups to get rewarded by having valid competition disqualified. That's just plain pity.

I mean we have a valid point, whats the point of giving an award to someone that doesn't attend when we have groups performing ?

Of course the rule allow it but at which point you become irrelevant cz you're basically a well presented charts awards ? People come to the show to perform in front of their fans, which gives more content for their fan and overall gives way nicier view counts for the show as fans of performing groups are way more engaged. When groups like BTS, Psy, Exo win a lot in a row without performing, they only have some peak views when they present the winner and nothing before. Fans of groups performing become way less engaged as they know there is nothing to win there, and overall the show is stuck in a weird position.

I strongly believe they will all incorporate some type of triple crown, smaller groups are way larger now and it will become way more profitable to have consistent viewership from them than high peaks from big groups collecting trophies

Nope, Boy with Luv broke Gangnam Style's 7 year record in 2019. People were pissed at BTS winning weeks after release, even though they had actually promoted the song...

yea but it was like 1 song, its not like they dominated the whole year so the backlash wasn't too much, in 2020 they were everywhere every time, no time off for haters.

• Groups attend and perform on Music Shows for Exposure. Because they need to promote themselves. The top tier groups and digimons don't need the exposure. Why perform for exposure when you're already so well-known? Just give the slot to other artists who needs it. Remember, BTS only got to perform on their debut era because someone cancelled. How many groups got their own slots because big groups(or their companies) chose to step back?

As for the music show win, it's an award for the song, not for the performance. You perform because you want the public to see and hear you. These music shows are giving awards to the top song of the week based on their criteria. 2 music shows already require promotion. 3 music shows already have win limits. What are you still whining about when there's already music shows catering to your wishes?

• You all need to realise that the main 3 music shows don't have shows but the charts and they promote their charts outside their music shows. So it isn't limited to the time of the show. That's why they are more relevant as they are used even after the show has aired for the week unlike the other 3 who have no relevance after they go off air.

Where do they promote their charts outside their music shows? i see that music bank MCs years ago used to announce the top 20 songs chart (based on music bank calculations) but these days they don't do so. And for inkigayo and music core ive never seen their charts.

• I mean we have a valid point, whats the point of giving an award to someone that doesn't attend when we have groups performing ?

Of course the rule allow it but at which point you become irrelevant cz you're basically a well presented charts awards ? People come to the show to perform in front of their fans, which gives more content for their fan and overall gives way nicier view counts for the show as fans of performing groups are way more engaged. When groups like BTS, Psy, Exo win a lot in a row without performing, they only have some peak views when they present the winner and nothing before. Fans of groups performing become way less engaged as they know there is nothing to win there, and overall the show is stuck in a weird position.

I strongly believe they will all incorporate some type of triple crown, smaller groups are way larger now and it will become way more profitable to have consistent viewership from them than high peaks from big groups collecting trophies

As chaesooo said, it's a music show, not performance show. And as I explained earlier, Music Bank is the only show that has no win limit or attendance requirement.

The Show - indefinite win potential, but have to attend

MCountdown - triple crown limit, must promote at least once

Music Core - 5 win limit

Show Champion - triple crown limit

Inkigayo - triple crown limit

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Yeah you are so right. These days there are no live audience watching the shows. But when they were allowed; a huge motivation for audience was to see their favorite group live. And they would have more reasons to attend if their fave has a chance to win. i don't even bother to download any music shows apps and vote for my faves on anything except starplay for the show because unless you're a top group it's useless to try. Some fans may be happy even if their fave get a nomination.

• Yea it even music bank will do it probably.

Of course it's a performance show, but there is a winner at the end, so whats the point of the performance before ?

What would incentivise the groups to come performing if they don't even have at least a little more chance to win the award at the end ?

At the end those groups (especially middle high tier groups that already have a good bunch of fan but still can't win) will end up withdrawing from those programs as doing other promotions more focused on their own fan is preferable.

As a product, this is a mediocre as you separate the viewers from those who are here to support their groups and those who are here to watch their groups win (they tune in just at the end for 5 min).

Imo thats a very bad strategy, and thats why music shows are way less talked, except for the twitter accounts who farms karma reposting the same results over and over.

I think they could enhance the product by giving real meaning to the performances, and creating more competition which imo will inevitably create more viewership

PS : Incentivise is spelled like that no ? The corrector keeps trying to write incentivize lol

• Yeah you are so right. These days there are no live audience watching the shows. But when they were allowed; a huge motivation for audience was to see their favorite group live. And they would have more reasons to attend if their fave has a chance to win. i don't even bother to download any music shows apps and vote for my faves on anything except starplay for the show because unless you're a top group it's useless to try. Some fans may be happy even if their fave get a nomination.

music shows are melon charts top of the week + some random perf nowadays

• it's a systemic problem which cannot be solved by writing a thinkpiece on a forum.

Go write to the companies, translate it into Korean, comment on the performances uploaded to YouTube. But here is not the place to complain.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• People only want the rules to br changed so it suits their faves. Honestly the only rule it needs is ineligible after X number of wins or X number of weeks.

Also there's a reason most people dump on The Show for being the easiest music show to win and that's part of it.

I dump on the show for the whole Everglow and Dreamcatcher vote manipulation thing :sweatr: neither group deserved that bs

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

mERCf4S.png

It's a music show who show the most popular song of the week.

• it's a systemic problem which cannot be solved by writing a thinkpiece on a forum.

Go write to the companies, translate it into Korean, comment on the performances uploaded to YouTube. But here is not the place to complain.

not trying to complain, just trying to make you understand my position and what music show would look like. I actually think music shows are more and more trying to look like that anyway

• not trying to complain, just trying to make you understand my position and what music show would look like. I actually think music shows are more and more trying to look like that anyway

Yeah i think music shows are aware too and trying to cater to the fans who actually watch the shows. Like the show is under SBS and music champion is mbc's show which has music core too. They give a little hope to fans by allowing 10% of total score based on fan votes which makes them money but most of the criteria is still based on the music charts.

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!