Year 3rd generation groups started to take over

• Just some of the groups I actually know, for others it’s harder to tell but these are the most obvious ones I guess.

EXO: 2013

1. Growl massive success.

2. Winning daesang for Song of the year at MMA and Album of the year at MAMA.

3. Best selling album of the year on Gaon.

BTS: 2016

-Best selling album of the year on Gaon.

- Album of the year at MMA and Artist of the year at MAMA.

-Starting US take over.

TWICE: 2016

- Biggest song of the year: CHEER UP

- Song of the year at MAMA, MMA and GDA.

- TT massive success in Japan.

SEVENTEEN: 2017

-Don’t wanna cry catching attention internationally

-Massive growth on sales.

RED VELVET: 2017

-Red flavor becoming a summer hit

-Getting bonsangs at big award shows

-BLACKPINK: 2016

-Despite not having album release their singles were massive achieving Perfect All Kills with their debut song.

-Massive YouTube views and smashing streaming records.

Do you agree with my list? Which other groups do you know the year they took over?

(With taking over I mean topping charts, breaking massive records, winning awards, hit songs, big sales etc...)

• I think for Blackpink it was 2018. DDU DU DDU DU was their breakthrough song.

D4 catapulted them even further especially internationally, but OP is right, Blackpink was a top act from debut. AIIYL broke the youtube record at the time, remember? by quite a bit too. Plus PAKs upon debut etc. BBY broke YT records too and that was literally their first ever MV.

• I think for Blackpink it was 2018. DDU DU DDU DU was their breakthrough song.

That song is so boring. Never understand what people can see in that song and I'm a BP fan....

I would say BP pretty much breaktrough right from the start. I mean the got a nr 1 Gaon Digital Chart their first year. Sure, you you arguee abotu korean and world breakthrough, but they was pretty hyped from the start

• BTS has multpile breaks and you can argue 2015 and 2017 too. 2015 they broke up with Run and INU, reaching way more fans than ever before and truly establisching themselves as a Top 3 group. 2016 was the top 2 year and in 2017 they took the crown.

Seventeen 2019 can also be argued seeing their massive sales increase.

• GFriend : 2016

Dreamcatcher : 2020

OMG : 2020

Lovelyz : 2019

WJSN : 2019

IOI : lasted one year lol

Wanna One : 2017 (as soon as they debuted)

Izone : 2020 (were quite big before but truly shined in 2020)

Ikon : 2015 (very massive debut, could be argue 2018 like BTS' 2017)

Winner : 2015 (massive debut)

GOT7 : probably their debut ? They grew very consistently so its hard to choose a specific year

NCT : 127 : 2018 and regular

U : 2020 with resonance and the multiple single releases

Dream : 2018 or 19

• BTS has multpile breaks and you can argue 2015 and 2017 too. 2015 they broke up with Run and INU, reaching way more fans than ever before and truly establisching themselves as a Top 3 group. 2016 was the top 2 year and in 2017 they took the crown.

Seventeen 2019 can also be argued seeing their massive sales increase.

I think you are right with BTS about Seventeen with the massive international reception of Don’t wanna cry I think they stated their take off.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!