Is 4th Gen being overshadowed by 3rd Gen?

• 4th Gen started in 2018 and still 3rd Gen groups are shining e.g. BTS, BP, Twice, .....

I know 4th Gen has still time but what i am saying is that it has been 2 years and no groups popularity reached the rooftop.

e.g. if we take BP they had one of their biggest song in 2018.

It Girls/Boys --> 3rd Gen

No 4th Gen group is charting well

No 4th Gen idol is known in Sokor that much

What makes everything worse is that some 3rd Gen groups didn't reach their peak yet (e.g. BTS and BP) so they are still in the game making it hard for 4th Gen groups to shine out. So this makes me wonder if the popularity of 3rd Gen leaves no space for 4th Gen to strike out.

Is 4th Gen being overshadowed?

• 4th gen idol groups cant truly shine when BTS and BP is still dominating. All eyes are in those groups. All 4th gen groups can do for now is try to build their fandoms and wait it out.

You hate me? Well, remember it's mind over matter. I do not mind and you do not matter.

9469e72bd497f024e0531bc6136b58c078539597.gif

• 4th gen didn't start in 2018 and we're still not sure if it has started now. If Aespa, YGNGG and the next crop of BG's like Enhypen fail to take center stage the story will be the same, we will still be in 3rd gen.

In terms of groups that debuted in 2019 and onward only 1 sole group has had any real relevance with the GP so far, Itzy. The rest, even TXT, Enhypen, Aespa and Treasure have all failed so far to make a splash or have any form of notable success or impact with the Korean public and should that continue through 2021 and into 2022 it will be very difficult to make a case that we're indeed in their generation and not still the 3rd.

• I never understand why korean media started to calling post-2018 groups as 4th, seems rushed for me

It's like calling groups like Infinite and Sistar 3rd gen

Increase on western, southwestern asian and Chinese purchases are giving kpop 3rd gen groups a second life. In Korea 3rd gen already hit its peak well before and is already degrading, but the impact of international markets (who doesn't understand the concept of generations let alone understand what new and old groups are supposed to be) are making 3rd and 4th gen coexistence possible, something that never happened before

• Yes, but I don't think it's a bad thing. It's just like BB in 2015 with BBB kkkkk it's normal, they will shine!! I a looking forward to Aespa the most!!

• the 4gen started like 2019-2020, and ofc 3gen / 3.5 gen is gonna overshadow the new generation when they're still active. just like how 2gen overshadowed the new 3gen while they were still active

and 4gen/late 3gen groups are doing good. gidle is charting well, stray kids has huge album sales and a massive fandom already, itzy and everglow are huge internationally, the same goes for ateez

• 3rd gen started 2012-2013 but the groups only really started to peak around 2016 and so

You can see this by MAMA nominees for example. Shitty and rigged? yes. But it's kinda a good metric of which groups are at the top (ofc not all that made numbers but you get me)

Until 2015, it was dominated by 2nd gen groups

• Huuum, a little bit. For two reasons, in my opinions :

- the biggest groups from 3rd Gen are so high, no way 4th Gen can catch up so quickly. Give it at least a couple of years to be able to be on equal footing.

- Korea is tired of Kpop, especially BG. The market is over-saturated, so 4th Gen doesn't take off yet.

• Excuses seem to push 4gen start like 2 years each year

And since 2017 we've heard the same 4th gen talk with the same excuses as to why the 4th generation groups haven't taken over like previous generations have to indicate a new gen in K-pop.

The groups who debuted in 2017 we were told give it time and they would hit it big, that they were just staring and that still hasn't happened. The groups in 2018 said the same thing and again it has yet to happen, once again in 2019 those groups needed time to hit it big and now what we'll wait 1 or 2 more years for the 2020 groups to finally take over...

I mean how much longer will we pretend groups like Stray Kids, Loona, Dreamctacher, Idle, IzOne, etc are not the same gen as 3rd? I mean one of those groups is about to disband in 3 months and the others are like 3 years old....now we're still waiting on TxT and Itzy to blow up and take over and spearhead a new generation like we were told they would nearly 2 years ago to give them time....and well we're still waiting to see anything new to suggest a significant change has happened in the Kpop zeitgeist and so far...crickets.

• Lol, finally some fans realize that 2018 gave nothing to indicate the start of a new generation. It must start with a new group getting a national hit and we got that right away with H.O.T. in 1996, TVXQ/DBSK in 2004 and Exo (one year later) in 2013. The only thing coming close to that is Itzy in 2019 with Dalla Dalla... So the beginning is either 2019 or later.. but never 2018! ^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!