Awards base on numbers or awards base on quality

• There is only one award show that is solely base on Music critics opinion: Korean Music Awards. The rest of award shows either use their own data such as Melon and Genie or use Gaon/Hanteo data.

Personally I think a awards base on numbers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don’t really trust that much “critics picks”, so awards that we can actually check the data and say “well I don’t like the artist/song/album but they do have the numbers”

Honestly fandoms will be get mad anyways because everything It’s about my faves winning no if it is fair or no.

• If the ward is based on quality - fandoms: quality is subjective - award not valid.

If the award is based on numbers - fandoms: well X fandom is bigger than Y not fair - we need more quality based awards- award not valid.

So.....:pepepizza:

• 1st gen didn't have KMA so it's the best indicator for 2nd and 3rd gen. every era has different daesangs so I'm not sure which ones are quality or not.

1st generation awards were basically 100% numbers and impact.

• If the ward is based on quality - fandoms: quality is subjective - award not valid.

If the award is based on numbers - fandoms: well X fandom is bigger than Y not fair - we need more quality based awards- award not valid.

So.....:pepepizza:

That’s my point either way fandom will get mad cause we just want our faves to win.

• That’s my point either way fandom will get mad cause we just want our faves to win.

Yep so the narrative and choice will only fit what they feel their faves can succeed in.

So stalemate.

My opinion is quality - because we have leading professionals in the industries for a reason. The only problem is when they start to gatekeep and not become progressive in their recognition of new music and artists it negates the whole process. A shame really.

But numbers is a good indicator of popularity and how much your fans enjoy your music and are willing to spend and it can show you whether your fan base has increased or not.

Both accolades would be a dream for every artist. Numbers and quality recognition.

• Music isn't a competition.

But if it was,

Cumulative AOTY placings on publication EOY lists and/or RYM EOY placement imo.

Of course k-pop doesn't register on any of those because it is mostly bad.

• Both are important for an artist that’s for sure.

• Kpop don’t get register in those for the same reason many acts from different countries that aren’t western ones or English speaker don’t.

I really don’t think those list are relevant considering how they ignore completely non western acts, it is not just korean artist.

• Kpop don’t get register in those for the same reason many acts from different countries that aren’t western ones or English speaker don’t.

I really don’t think those list are relevant considering how they ignore completely non western acts, it is not just korean artist.

More and more k-pop artists are reviewed by those publications though.

Also, artists from other countries are frequent favourites. Japanese artists like Boredoms, Boris, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Ryoji Ikeda, Keiji Heino etc are critical darlings around the world for example. They're not pop artists, which is probably where the real prejudice lies, tho, granted, but pop itself has become more respectable in the past ten years than it was previously.

• More and more k-pop artists are reviewed by those publications though.

Also, artists from other countries are frequent favourites. Japanese artists like Boredoms, Boris, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Ryoji Ikeda, Keiji Heino etc are critical darlings around the world for example. They're not pop artists, which is probably where the real prejudice lies, tho, granted, but pop itself has become more respectable in the past ten years than it was previously.

As you critical darlings yet in plenty list you still don’t see those names at all.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!