Is the over-praising of visuals harmful to kpop fans with dysmorphia?

• Is the over-praising of visuals harmful to kpop fans with dysmorphia? 9

1. Yes. (0) 0%
    2. No. (9) 100%

Some user sent me a mention to a thread that had other users discussing their negative reactions to positive visual responses to idols they didn't care about. It caused them to lash out and attack those idols. Then someone mentioned that this might be due to something the users were suffering, such as body dysmorphia or gender dysphoria.

Obviously when we praise our biases, calling them "perfect", "gods/goddesses", "flawless queensTM", we never think that these positive words would actually harm others who get hurt by the difference in reactions idols receive compared to them in real life. Especially at the age of most kpop fans, the rate of body dysmorphia explodes. Do you personally consider over-praising of visuals harmful to you? What ways did you try to cope with it in a positive way?

BDD_onset.gif

Comparison-of-selected-foci-of-concern-among-male-and-female-students.png

• I think the difference lies in that kpop as a hobby/interest is their "refuge". A lot of fans get into kpop because it helps them cope or get distracted from whatever life problems they may be having. I think that's why stans don't pay attention to random attractive people. But when it comes to their "turf" (kpop) they get really passionate and triggered when their worldview gets challenged.

• I mean yes. Calling perfect people who are under-fed so much that they often faint on stage, completely overworked, with full make-up and usually plastic surgery cannot be healthy for teenagers, and people who are self-conscious about their bodies.

I'd say it's pretty much the same everywhere - modeling, acting, even singing. At least in kpop you know how crazy their lifestyle is, and I don't think that many fantasises about it.

Not sure why you're bringing gender dysphoria there though.

• I think the difference lies in that kpop as a hobby/interest is their "refuge". A lot of fans get into kpop because it helps them cope or get distracted from whatever life problems they may be having. I think that's why stans don't pay attention to random attractive people. But when it comes to their "turf" (kpop) they get really passionate and triggered when their worldview gets challenged.

but whatever that we overpraise idol or not

it'll not change the image that they have of themselves

and they are the only one who can do this work, other people can't do it for them

and that they see or heard overpraise in kpop

they'll still end up going out and comparing themselves to other people

WTF ? it's not because you're a kpop fans that you don't notice when other people are attractive, i think you should change your way of thinking if you think that kpop stans are like this.

it's not because they stans groups and like kpop that they live in a bubble where oppa is the only handsome men to their eyes

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• Harmful? No. A problem? Yes. A problem within one’s self. I don’t struggle with body dysmorphia, nor have I ever struggled with an eating disorder, but I can understand how people struggling with said things can compare themselves to others and feel a type of way. As much as I completely empathize and get it, I think it is something that one has to solve themselves. Praising of people is going to happen, but I think it’s up to the person who is upset by this to find the strength to fix the problem that lies within. That’s my take on this situation. If you’re currently struggling with this, I just want want you to know it will get better :borahae:

• The problem of kpop is that sometimes people think visuals = only value. They compare themselves to people that get paid to look good and where visuals are one the most important factor. I think people should praise visuals but not reduce people to only visuals which I have witnessed a lot of times in kpop. Also pretty privilege is a huge problem in korea. Even as a foreigner you experience the discrepancy in behavior when someone looks more to their ideal type than not.

• The world can't really stop turning just because some people feel bad about this or that.

Doesn't mean there aren't too many shallow threads and discussions about visuals, and visuals only. It's ok to find idols pretty and to acknowledge it from time to time but there's a point when okay, everyone got it, this girl (or this dude) is good looking, it's been said a million times over already.

• Official Post

The fact that I was the one who mentioned him nnnn

if you have issues with the way you look to the point where praise of others make you develop disorders then its YOU who has issues. Speaking as someone who had suffered with anorexia, even if no one got praised around me I'd still find a way to compare myself and call myself ugly. It takes strength to realize that the only person who can save you at that point is yourself. Reach out for help, instead of telling people not to praise idols because it makes you feel bad. We don't need to stop praising idols just because some people might feel personally hurt, that falls back on them and the people they love to get them help. The overarching issue is mental health, not over-praising visuals.

Oh wow, dummi always speaking facts :yesr:

• I mean yes. Calling perfect people who are under-fed so much that they often faint on stage, completely overworked, with full make-up and usually plastic surgery cannot be healthy for teenagers, and people who are self-conscious about their bodies.

I'd say it's pretty much the same everywhere - modeling, acting, even singing. At least in kpop you know how crazy their lifestyle is, and I don't think that many fantasises about it.

Not sure why you're bringing gender dysphoria there though.

This. Celebrities only show the bright sides and know how to market themselves. I wish people would be honest about their lifestyles and the dark sides.

• I mean isn't it obvious, if someone posts a random model there won't be many people hating on their visuals. But if its another kpop idols they might be a lot of criticisms of their looks. For ex, reaction to Karina and reaction to Liu Yifei. Obviously you'd see different type of comments.

• Idk why he's speaking for ED patients we never asked him to be the pillar of mental health awareness

My personal opinion is that people should deal with their problems in their private life or seek help from people they trust. But I only made this topic because someone mentioned me to pay attention to it, and I wanted to see other opinions on it.

• Personally the over praising of some of the idols just makes me laugh.

"Idol x raises his pinky on Instagram, THE EARTH SUFFERS MASSIVE QUAKE IN FEAR OF IDOL X's PINKY BEING RAISED." -or- KING/QUEEN OF PINKY SELFIES I'm like what and just start laughing.

• Tbh teshub I feel like you don't give a shit about this topic, otherwise you wouldn't have made the visual comparison threads before making this one :wellr:

Actually on the OP I said most of us never had any idea. Whether its a visual comparison or visual appreciation. We always notice people who have an adverse reaction when someone gets praised but we always figured they are just "haters", but in certain cases it seems there's something deeper going on with them.

• Personally the over praising of some of the idols just makes me laugh.

"Idol x raises his pinky on Instagram, THE EARTH SUFFERS MASSIVE QUAKE IN FEAR OF IDOL X's PINKY BEING RAISED." -or- KING/QUEEN OF PINKY SELFIES I'm like what and just start laughing.

When I see people over-praising idols I often assume they are exaggerating for promotional purposes. Like the "OMG I CANT BREATH, WIG SNATCHED" type of reactions seems kind of disingenuous, but they are free to do as they wish with it

• Actually on the OP I said most of us never had any idea. Whether its a visual comparison or visual appreciation. We always notice people who have an adverse reaction when someone gets praised but we always figured they are just "haters", but in certain cases it seems there's something deeper going on with them.

Yes, they're obsessed with the idols they claim to be standing up for.

Being on an anonymous forum and obsessively defending people we don't even know is a bigger problem to me.

• Idk who "us" is but YOU make the visual threads for the sole reason of making fandoms fight and you know it. There is no "us" or "we". Most of us do have an idea of why its such a bad thing to compare visuals to one another.

That's a different topic entirely. Those kind of people just hate on visuals because they see their bias as their "home team" and their non-bias as their "rival". It's like those sports fans who riot and flip over cars when their team loses (or even wins). That has more to do with sociopathy than dysmorphia

• I think praising 1 idol in another part of the world is gonna have less destructive effect than being bombarded daily or hourly with tons of Photoshop on fashion shoots, influencers editing their photos on sns, society worshipping people like Kardashians, and so on

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!