Why did Blackpink never speak out on Asian Hate?

• Why did Blackpink never speak out on Asian Hate?

They are the biggest girl group in the world, the biggest Asian girl group in the world but they never spoke out on the Asian Hate that's going on in America. When Lisa is a big victim of racism herself.

BTS got hate for posting a message late but they still did it and it was admirable.

I've noticed that Blackpink tip toe around which world issue they want to advocate for.

They are promoting sustainability (which is a very easy way for them to act woke) but aren't speaking up for people of colour and their own community??

• That's not an excuse. When you're at that level of fame, you have to use your platform for good.

No they don´t have to use their platform. That´s purely american thinking to think that when you are a celebrity you have to speak out on political issues. They are idols, they entertain people. That´s all. Don´t force your expectations on idols.

KIMKAI48

059e37d0b9c38b277aec681de8161eeb7e65a633.gifv

Edited once, last by acchan48 ().

• No you don´t have to use their platform. That´s purely american thinking to think that when you are a celebrity you have to speak out on political issues. They are idols, they entertain people. That´s all. Don´t force your expectations on idols.

They promote in America so no, they aren't just idols anymore.

It just looks ignorant of them to reap the benefits of America without speaking out on the negative issues.

• Comparison with BTS is not required.

BP can do whatever they want and they don't have an obligation to talk about this.

Stop using racism for fanwars.

It is required in this topic because they are BTS' counterpart in the American industry.

I'm a person of colour so I'm just upset that the girls didn't say anything when so many of their fans are black and Asian, of course.

• They promote in America so no, they aren't just idols anymore.

It just looks ignorant of them to reap the benefits of America without speaking out on the negative issues.

"Reap the benefits of America" is a bit too much. Like I said they are entertainers, people buy their albums because they like their music. BP are not political figures, they don´t have obligation to speak on political issues of any country. It´s not like BP is profiting of some political campaign in the US. Just because they promote in America does not mean they rae not idols anymore.

KIMKAI48

059e37d0b9c38b277aec681de8161eeb7e65a633.gifv

• No you don´t have to use their platform. That´s purely american thinking to think that when you are a celebrity you have to speak out on political issues. They are idols, they entertain people. That´s all. Don´t force your expectations on idols.

Right? Why do people expect idols to speak up. They can choose to if they want to.

I rather BlackPink release more music since it is their job as idols to do so

• It is required in this topic because they are BTS' counterpart in the American industry.

I'm a person of colour so I'm just upset that the girls didn't say anything when so many of their fans are black and Asian, of course.

You can be disappointed in them all you want but it still doesn't create an obligation on their part to speak about it. As a POC you should also understand how difficult it is to talk about personal experiences regarding racism and that no one should be forced to do that.

• Maybe ask jennie from blackpink. She has contacts with yg staff. Or directly ask yg entertainment through your korean friends/relatives. Yg is only using blackpink to get more money. They rarely speak out, let's just see.

• might as well

why did blackpink never try to find a cure for covid when alot of people suffered from covid

or prolly

why did blackpink never try to find a new planet for human to live when earth itself is dying

• You can be disappointed in them all you want but it still doesn't create an obligation on their part to speak about it. As a POC you should also understand how difficult it is to talk about personal experiences regarding racism and that no one should be forced to do that.

I never asked for them to say their own experiences?? Plenty of idols just shared the hashtag and donated money. Asked their fans to donate money.

Yes, BTS went that extra step to connect with the victims but that's not what I'm asking for everyone to do.

I just thought it was weird that they said nothing at all because Lisa's racism is public knowledge and obviously, the rest of members wouldn't be happy about it.

I can understand if Lisa (or Jisoo) didn't want to say anything but Rosé and Jennie could have.

• They are extremely apolitical. I remember Lisa got some flak from her own countrymen for not speaking up during a national issue where every other Thai idol was speaking up (BamBam, Sorn, Nickhun etc.)

Personally I think the optics are bad. They are not obliged to be activists but we live in a world where celebrities are expected to take stances on political and social events globally and domestically. Asian hate is not a political issue btw and is something that directly affects them. I wonder if taking such stances go against the image their company wants to portray for them. But I would say we are past the age where those type of celebrities were lauded.

• They are promoting sustainability (which is a very easy way for them to act woke) but aren't speaking up for people of colour and their own community??

Also, the fact you said this already showed you don't actually care.

You literally said that BlackPink promoting sustainability is an "easy way for them to act woke"

I'm guessing you probably don't even care about this, you just want to drag the girls for every single thing they didn't do. If they did speak up about it you probably be like "they are just using racism against Asians as another easy way for them to act woke" like what you said in your OP. Your true colors just spilled all over.

Come up with something new and original in future and maybe we will take your "member since 22 Apr 2021" seriously

• They don’t have to. Stop making it an issue and don’t compare with BTS. Many of us are POC and some prefer being loud and some prefer being silent (but do things like donating to support) when dealing with racism issue. The same is for idol groups IMO. Just don’t judge, we don’t know the real story

I have to compare to BTS because like I said before, they are their female counterparts.

Of course, BTS is more use to talking about issues but I wish Blackpink did the same thing since so many young fans look up to them. They are the most followed idols on Instagram.

I'm not trying to make it an issue.

• They don’t have to. Stop making it an issue and don’t compare with BTS. Many of us are POC and some prefer being loud and some prefer being silent (but do things like donating to support) when dealing with racism issue. The same is for idol groups IMO. Just don’t judge, we don’t know the real story

I think when you are a public figure people are bound to talk. Not everyone thinks like a fan.

• They could've really helped people so, I hope they learn to eventually use their voice.

There’s always two sides to the story. We never know what could be going on behind the scenes tbh. As a person of color, I’m not upset they didn’t speak out. It’s not really their job to, nor are they obligated to. They are musicians for a reason. They aren’t required to speak on issues. That’s just how I see it.

• I have to compare to BTS because like I said before, they are their female counterparts.

Of course, BTS is more use to talking about issues but I wish Blackpink did the same thing since so many young fans look up to them. They are the most followed idols on Instagram.

I'm not trying to make it an issue.

Blackpink are not obliged to speak because all those followers and fans love them for their music, performance and fashion. Not philanthropy.

Bts on the other hand have dipped their toes in philanthropy work early on with unicef etc. They also have a big following in America. Them speaking out makes sense. And like a user said bp gets hated on for the smallest of things, if they speak out on this then everyone will jump on them calling them clout chasers.

• Global Warming is an easy way for them to be woke because Korea cannot get mad at them for that.

But, they definitely could get backlash for speaking out on stuff like BLM so I do think that's why they don't touch on it. Why YG doesn't let them.

I do care. Like I said, I'm a person of colour and I just wish BP would use their platform for good.

They have so many followers and young people watching them but they only promote designer products. Which is fine but I think BP is very intelligent and could start some good conversation.

• i prefer this

Idols are here to make people happy and make them forget about the fucked up things of life

so they don't have to talk about politics, and in contrary i prefer when they don't do it

I am opposite. I despise how escapist, conservative and rigid kpop is and how fans see it as a sort of removed entity. Something that makes them feel special. I want celebrities to be responsible and in touch with reality and not larger than life.

• Even if you're famous celebrity it doesn't mean it will help them. Even a famous figure like a prime minister in a country couldn't help to prevent this racism thing. It's not a celebrity job/obligation to speak for it. Different people have different kinds of things they fight for.

• Like everyone told bp girls have never taken part in such issues. And they don't need to either.

Why do u all want celebs to always speak out about political issues? Its not an obligation.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• Blackpink are not obliged to speak because all those followers and fans love them for their music, performance and fashion. Not philanthropy.

Bts on the other hand have dipped their toes in philanthropy work early on with unicef etc. They also have a big following in America. Them speaking out makes sense. And like a user said bp gets hated on for the smallest of things, if they speak out on this then everyone will jump on them calling them clout chasers.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I completely get that and I'm sure YG stops them from speaking out on stuff that doesn't relate to their image or make them money.

Blackpink also has a big following but obviously not in the same way as BTS, who spoke at the UN and sstuff. They are still one of the few, popular Asian artists in America, though.

I just think YG is holding them back and that they could be doing so much more with their fame but maybe they aren't comfortable speaking out on insanely controversial issues.

I didn't want to start an argument, once again. I just thought it was upsetting.

• This thread contains 91 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!