(Prediction) HYBE/ Big Hit's Next Big Move....

• They are going to sign a major Western artist or artists.

Take a look at YouTube for example. Some Western artists are already starting to emulate certain moves and promotional tactics that K Pop groups use.

In this case, BTS is the biggest K Pop group out there, and arguably one of the biggest groups period right now.

So by association, a lot of these tactics are associated with BTS, and if some of these artists outside of Korea, and even in Korea,

want a slice of the BTS pie :eyes: , you have to go through HYBE/ Big Hit and why dilly dally with all the red tape when you can just sign with the label itself?

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• I dont like it.

If BH becomes a threat to a company like UMG, it's over for BH and maybe even BTS. Every skeleton in the closet is gonna come out and with the way Knetz love to go on witch hunts against their own idols (see these dumb "bullying" scandals), it doesnt look all that hard to sink BTS or any Kpop group. I've already read rumors that would result in a huge scandal for BTS.

Although with how insanely nationalistic Koreans are, maybe they will be more forgiving of a scandal involving their precious national treasure. Maybe BTS truly is bulletproof?

• I dont like it.

If BH becomes a threat to a company like UMG, it's over for BH and maybe even BTS. Every skeleton in the closet is gonna come out and with the way Knetz love to go on witch hunts against their own idols (see these dumb "bullying" scandals), it doesnt look all that hard to sink BTS or any Kpop group. I've already read rumors that would result in a huge scandal for BTS.

Although with how insanely nationalistic Koreans are, maybe they will be more forgiving of a scandal involving their precious national treasure. Maybe BTS truly is bulletproof?

If there was any skeleton to find against BTS, there is no way it wouldn't have been used by now. If anti-BTS supporting neo-nazis in Japan in the hope of killing their career there didn't succeed, I doubt anything else will.

• I dont like it.

Love the faux concern ;-)

Don't worry, the Korean government and Bang PD are not going to let anything hurt the boys.

• I dont like it.

Thankfully BTS is not dependent on knetz for their success.

• I dont like it.

I think this is your wishful thinking.

BTW, V is actually a bully victim so I cannot fathom to see posts like this.

• I dont like it.

Love the fake concern. :clown:

• I dont like it.

Stick to the bp prediction accounts gramps.

• I dont like it.

Naw, there's too much money on the table. The only thing that can stop Big Hit at this point is Big Hit or if, Heaven forbid, one or some of the BTS members get a big ego.

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• I dont like it.

UMG is valued at $50 Billion in 2019.

If Hybe has a distribution with them, they’d still make money.

• I dont like it.

huh, crazy how even the Chinese Government didn't succeed in cancelling BTS. Neo Nazis didn't succeed either with a fucking t-shirt scandal. The Western Music Industry tried to bury them but now their company bought the label for ALOT of the biggest American Artists. K-media tried to blow out multiple scandals the last year yet here they are, still the Nation's Treasure. The Bulletproof Boy Scouts are really living up to their names ;-)

• Well, they now have a country label, right? They can sign country artists, but I don't know if it's suitable for artists in other genres.

But they could sign them as managers.

They'll sign everyone! My faves will rule the world :mad:

• huh, crazy how even the Chinese Government didn't succeed in cancelling BTS. Neo Nazis didn't succeed either with a fucking t-shirt scandal. The Western Music Industry tried to bury them but now their company bought the label for ALOT of the biggest American Artists. K-media tried to blow out multiple scandals the last year yet here they are, still the Nation's Treasure. The Bulletproof Boy Scouts are really living up to their names ;-)

:shake-it:

• huh, crazy how even the Chinese Government didn't succeed in cancelling BTS. Neo Nazis didn't succeed either with a fucking t-shirt scandal. The Western Music Industry tried to bury them but now their company bought the label for ALOT of the biggest American Artists. K-media tried to blow out multiple scandals the last year yet here they are, still the Nation's Treasure. The Bulletproof Boy Scouts are really living up to their names ;-)

I'm not knowledgeable in American artists. Does Big Machine Records have the biggest American country artists?

• I'm not knowledgeable in American artists. Does Big Machine Records have the biggest American country artists?

Well I was talking about SB management Artists like Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber but Big machine records also has Tim Mcgraw and Rascal Flatts. They formerly managed Garth Brooks who was one of the biggest country singer of all time but I honestly don't know the other artists. My country music knowledge is dated

• UMG is music distribution, BH has a managing company. Its 2 different things, its not like KPOP where its all the same company.

It's actually deeper than that. These days, anyone and their mother can get distribution.

These actual distribution companies operate more like psuedo PR companies. BH has all but mastered the distribution game without having to have played the game.

And that is going to be very attractive to artists who have grown wary of the way certain aspects of the music business are done.

• Well, they now have a country label, right? They can sign country artists, but I don't know if it's suitable for artists in other genres.

But they could sign them as managers.

I'm kind of impressed because they've guaranteed themselves a mega income stream when BTS enlists. Country music is huge and they now have some of the biggest names in the business with Big Machine. Country fans buy music like ARMY does.

• Weverse post explaining this deal and all entities under Hybe now

BTS and Bieber under the same roof
    HYBE is in the business of—what, exactly?
    The past few years saw Korean management companies trying their hand at international business, and as K-pop became a global sensation, they’re now quite used to it. As they grow bigger and take on more work, their accomplishments are spiraling upward. The news that HYBE subsidiary Big Hit America acquired Ithaca Holdings is a different story altogether. Before the news broke, not too many people would have expected a K-pop label to expand its business by buying out a US company. While it might be tempting to read this as BTS and other HYBE artists hanging out with Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande, it’s best to look at the announcement more closely. Which companies have become a part of HYBE?

As the name suggests, Ithaca Holdings is a company that holds, or owns, other companies. More simply, it’s all of Scooter Braun’s businesses rolled into one. Braun’s name also carries weight in Korea as a manager within the K-pop sphere, as he represents PSY and CL in their American endeavors. The most notable item on his resumé is discovering Justin Bieber on YouTube, whom he still manages today, along with other famous artists including Ariana Grande, J Balvin, Demi Lovato and others. In the US, management companies represent artists’ business interests, handing contracts related to recording, distribution, publishing, performances and anything else on the business side. This is part and parcel of the extremely complex contractual relationship surrounding copyright and profit-sharing in the American music industry.

In Korea, management and label are typically indistinguishable from one another. In the big picture, Bieber and Grande are attached to Universal Music Group, but that’s divided by label into Def Jam, Republic and more, so it’s fair to ask whether those artists are with different companies. But they’re not: They both have recording contracts with Universal, just under different labels. And Scooter Braun’s management company, SB Projects, manages the contracts. Not surprisingly, SB Projects is Ithaca Holdings’ most important company. There’s Braun’s own recording company, Schoolboy Records, as well. Schoolboy Records, in collaboration with Usher and Def Jam, created RBMG Records specifically for Bieber’s debut. Schoolboy and RBMG, along with Def Jam, collectively constitute Bieber’s labels; real-world contracts are immensely complicated. There is another facet to Ithaca Holdings, too: Big Machine Label Group. Focusing on country music, it maintains contract with artists such as Sheryl Crow and Tim McGraw. While Braun’s business is centered around music management, it isn’t limited to it. It includes investment companies spread across such varied fields as film, TV show production, and even IT and games.

So then, what exactly are we looking at now? On the Korean side of things, HYBE has a number of K-pop labels, including the agency responsible for managing the world’s most popular boy band as well as various businesses and a platform that carries out various endeavors based on music. Now it’s acquired the company charged with the management of the two artists with the widest fanbases in the US, Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande. Put all together, we’re witnessing the birth of the brand with the largest, most loyal fanbases in the world. Now’s not the time to make hasty predictions about what to expect or what might happen, though. It’s just good to understand what’s happened so far.

• Naw, there's too much money on the table. The only thing that can stop Big Hit at this point is Big Hit or if, Heaven forbid, one or some of the BTS members get a big ego.

I wanted your insight since you actually worked at a label before.

If Hybe starts becoming a real threat to sign away bigtime US artists, do you think UMG/Sony/Warner would let them encroach on "their" turf so to speak?

To me, these giant conglomerates (UMG is owned by Vivendi which is so huge it makes Hybe and all of Kpop look like nugus) would do anything to protect their multi billion dollar industry. I remember reading bits and pieces about how indie labels struggle since the big labels control marketing and promotion. Or do you think these giant labels would be content to just get a share of the $$$ that Hybe is making?

Imma cynic so i always assume the worst, especially the behavior of giant multinational conglomerates fighting for the biggest music market in the world.

• The day these companies see BigHit to be a threat to them then BigHit has become successful. Already these companies are in contracts with them one way or the other. I’m sure they have some terms they all agreed on and until that contract goes poof, they will all protect each other’s interests (I’m not into business)

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!