In grand scheme of things charts don't mean anything next to ticket sales

• In Kpop, a successful tour needs success on streaming first.

This is not heavy metal that is consumed in an entirely different way.

Kpop groups get buzz when they do well on streaming. Even on just this forum: people creating threads about streaming numbers, create buzz around a group. Big accounts on other social medias, tend to post when a Kpop group does something chart wise, which means the group's name gets out there beyond the fans they already have, each time they do something streaming wise.

It doesn't always have to be 'they got a billion streams'. There are accounts dedicated to posting about streaming numbers even when groups get a lot fewer streams.

People are more inclined to consume a brand (any kind of brand) when they have heard the name before, which is why adverstisers spend so much money globally on getting brand names out.

It's the same for Kpop. If people/big accounts would start posting as much about Craxy as they do about the top groups, people will be more inclined to check them out.

One group that helps a lot with this is multis. They are often looked down on by hardcore fans of groups, but they do a lot for popularizing many groups and getting group names out there, as they are open to listening to new groups. A lot of the midtier and even upper nugu tier groups get some buzz and streams because of them.

Only when a name is out there, songs will be played and touring can even be considered.

• I just wonder, with these types, where and how this brainrot sets in?

I strongly doubt anyone enters kpop fandoms with the intent of being obsessed with chart outcomes and who is "beating" who under which metric. Almost everyone enters kpop because they like the music of whatever group(s) that interest them, then generally get drawn into other aspects like reality content and the like. But for the "sociopaths"... something breaks in their brain and they become obsessed with not just the groups successes, but the minutiae of that successes. Numbers and charts become more important than the music. They get obsessed with groups they supposedly hate, and obsessed with the statistics of THOSE groups. Like... imagine getting so obsessed with a group or artist you DON'T like or care for?

I'm just really curious what sets these people, of which many exist here, down these paths?

I had a look at a recent Bop vs Flop thread for a groups comeback. I went through the thread trying to find comments about some of these peoples thoughts on the song. People that are all over other threads going feral about numbers and charts and sales as it pertains to this same group. A group they are supposedly big fans off.

The surprising thing? These people, the ones obsessed with being in constant fan wars, arguments and other nonsense about numbers, belittling other groups and their fans? They couldn't even be bothered commenting what they thought of their "favorite" groups comeback song. The most basic, pure element of being a stan of a kpop group, the music itself and what they thing of it? Obviously, in their broken, rotted minds... it's not important. They need to argue about sales numbers!

• I think a big part of the hate-thing is that they first see hate from other people. If there are two groups whose fandoms constantly clash, it's usually because they are close achievement-wise*. So the hate sets in and they become obsessed with wanting to beat 'the evil'.

And no, this is no excuse. A smarter thing would be to block haters and not give them attention. The hate they start putting out, creates more hate from the rival fandom as well.

* Not always. Exception is when one group or group member is perceived to have attacked another group, like the IVE vs Stray Kids thing

• You make a good point, and I especially like the last sentence.

I think the most hated group of multis is the ones who claim to also be part of fandoms.

If you say: "I like lots of Kpop groups, can you recommend me some songs of your fave?" you usually get well received.

If you say: "I am a <fandom name>, <fandom name>, <fandom name>, <fandom name>", each of these fandoms look at you with suspicion and often claim you throw their faves under the bus for the other ones.

Still, that shouldn't stop people from doing this. If you want to call yourself a fan of 10 artists, that's totally fine. If you want to stream every Kpop group in existence, that is also fine.

• Isn't the most important thing these days what playlist you label pays spotify to put your songs in?

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That's gotta be exhausting to gatekeep and bully so much. Seems a lot like gang affiliation even though gang members have a better moral compass than these specific K-pop stans do. It should never be that serious. It's just K-pop.

Officially, you're part of the fandom the moment you consider yourself a fan of the group. It's as simple as that. The idols look at it this way.

Agreed.

If someone who streams a song once a month and has watches an MV 6 times a year wants to consider themselves part of a fandom, I'm fine with that.

The context of what I wrote is mostly when there's a fanwar and they side with one of their fandoms over another. And sometimes when they don't post 'enough' about streaming or other support.

• maybe maybe not

streaming and charting and getting your song out there for people to enjoy and know and recognize helps the group get more recognition and brand awareness

it can be useful to grow one's fandom leading to more ticket sales as well as more opportunities like cfs and brand deals and so forth

• charts are important in a way that it introduces the artists to new and potential fans. That's why those songs that go viral and rise up charts are important to artists, especially those outside the big 4. Viral songs are a stepping stone to more opportunities, like TV guestings, media coverage, etc. That's why BTS's I need You was a vital point in their career which launched them from mid to top-tier group.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!