This was the closest kpop got to nu/industrial metal, and maybe the only time

• It's a fact

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• That's industrial edm, not rock.

Kpop hasn't really dabbled much in either nu metal (which isn't very common in Asia) or industrial rock, but there's been a little here and there.

First: the father of kpop himself, Seo Taiji, has done a lot of genre hopping in his career, and he quite possibly has the most extensive nu metal discography of any well known Korean artist. Including one song that was infamously covered by SHINee's Jonghyun and Taemin

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As for other kpop artists, here are some tracks off the top of my head that either have nu metal or industrial rock influence, or they're sort of genre adjacent if you squint.

If you want to get into k-rock, TRAX had some nu metal influence early on.

• LOL, I didn't see this before I posted, but THIS. Check the spoiler list.

• Is Dreamcatcher just not a thing ?

Dreamcatcher is other type of sound which is totally not my type, when I say industrial I mean music like this

I already had listened to most of these and I have a strong problem with it because these sound generic as hell to me. I like stuff that sound a bit more genuine. These sound like they just add guitar sound and scream so it can be considered something other than pop.

I feel you've never listened to TXT

I did. They're the closest to a nu metal kpop group, but it's too emo for my taste. Music wise, I still think Shoot Out is peak.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• First: the father of kpop himself, Seo Taiji, has done a lot of genre hopping in his career, and he quite possibly has the most extensive nu metal discography of any well known Korean artist. Including one song that was infamously covered by SHINee's Jonghyun and Taemin

External Content www.youtube.com

Amazing performance. I wish kpop groups would actually do this kind of concept and sound. Jonghyun's charisma is just crazy.

I wonder why Shinee decided to do this performance, it's far from what I know of their sound

Also I didn't know it was a Seo Taiji song. I'm quite surprised that the creator of Kpop also did these kind of songs. I need to look more into him as I like the song and the lyrics seem good too. Were his rock songs popular ?

• Also I didn't know it was a Seo Taiji song. I'm quite surprised that the creator of Kpop also did these kind of songs. I need to look more into him as I like the song and the lyrics seem good too. Were his rock songs popular ?

They sold pretty well, but I don't know if it's because the music was popular or if it's because he was popular. Possibly the latter, since it wasn't widely emulated. He had some really good rock songs though.

I wonder why Shinee decided to do this performance, it's far from what I know of their sound

I can't recall if they ever actually said why they performed it, but Jonghyun was quite outspoken in general, so it was pretty in line with his personality to give a performance giving commentary on toxic internet and fandom culture. Taemin is also not shy about shirking what's expected and going against the grain. Plus they're from SM, and SM kept trying to make harder genres of rock happen for a long time... but Koreans mostly just like the softer stuff :holding-back-tears:

• Is this a stab at nu metal or a stab at pop rock? :pepe-narrow-eyes:

It's shade for any kinda rock or metal made after 1991, with certain exceptions for songs and bands after that time that i've personally certified as legit :yesr: like Taylor Swift's early country rock crossovers, The Killers, a few rando grunge songs, a few alt rock songs, etc.

In Kpop, this means some pop rock songs, yes, like Yena Smartphone or Hate Rodrigo or Yuri's Love Shh, or Ugly by 2NE1 (maybe the best Kpop song ever made).

Never Nu Metal though, i havent heard a single decent song in this genre omg.

• It's shade for any kinda rock or metal made after 1991, with certain exceptions for songs and bands after that time that i've personally certified as legit :yesr: like Taylor Swift's early country rock crossovers, The Killers, a few rando grunge songs, a few alt rock songs, etc.

In Kpop, this means some pop rock songs, yes, like Yena Smartphone or Hate Rodrigo or Yuri's Love Shh, or Ugly by 2NE1 (maybe the best Kpop song ever made).

Never Nu Metal though, i havent heard a single decent song in this genre omg.

not nu metal being one of my favorite genres :emotionalpepe:

• I understand how nu metal is the laughing stock of the metal genre, but I did like their use of the bass. It's iconic.

The lyrics though, they're forgettable :sweat:

Cant forget how sexy Deftones' Change sounds :pepe-devil:

• Oops in my rant against Nu Metal, i forgot to upload something more relevant to OP's video. Shootout will always have a sentimental place in my heart. One of the best games of Kpop idol musical charades of alltime.

• I can't recall if they ever actually said why they performed it, but Jonghyun was quite outspoken in general, so it was pretty in line with his personality to give a performance giving commentary on toxic internet and fandom culture. Taemin is also not shy about shirking what's expected and going against the grain. Plus they're from SM, and SM kept trying to make harder genres of rock happen for a long time... but Koreans mostly just like the softer stuff :holding-back-tears:

Shinee are such a cool group imo even tho I'm not the biggest fan of their music (for title tracks atleast, never looked in the bsides)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!