Do you think white adjacency is real?

• Do you think white adjacency is real? 3

1. No (3) 100%
    2. Yes (0) 0%

Before the shooting of the Asian massage parlors the narrative that has been spreading online was that Asians are "white adjacent", basically because they seem "closer" to wypipo they are considered as sharing their privileges. I'm Middle Eastern and I never had an ounce of fucking privilege in my life. I had to hustle for every fucking thing I could own. Society never treated me as "white adjacent". I was racially profiled and stopped at airports when travelling, Koreans told me my people use their left hand to wipe shit off their ass (Muslim stereotype, although I'm not Muslim). So because of my race I was considered dangerous, a pedophile and barbaric due to stereotypes of Middle Easterners/Muslims.

It took a fucking mass murder for people to push back against the "white adjacent" bullshit. That attempts to rank struggles in tiers based on how close to white people they are perceived, when in reality all struggles are the same.

White

Middle Eastern

Central Asian

North African

South Asian

Oceanian

East Asian

Native American

Black

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

v9VcXsJ.png

• im confused, can you summarize it for me in easy terms?

I'm not 100% myself so don't quote me. Without the technical language, the idea that has been circling on the internet is that Asians, because they seem "closer" to white people (either bc of their skin tone or something else), share the same privileges as white people. OP is saying this isn't true, citing their personal experiences as someone who is Middle Eastern.

The tweet that was shared is someone who initially projected the idea above but is now pretending to stand in solidarity with Asians after the Atlanta shootings.

• i honestly didn't get what you were trying to say. and i'm not the only one here. perhaps because i didn't understand the terms you used.

White adjacent

(n.) A person who is technically a minority, but has access to, utilizes and sometimes benefits from white privilege. This is usually accomplished by said person distancing themselves from the socio political problems their ethnic group commonly faces. Usually by considering considering themselves better than their minority counterparts sharing their same ethnic heritage. This can also be a person who thinks they are are better than other minorities possessing a darker complexion.

Example: Tina, who is Latina, believes that immigrants are a drain the economy because they take jobs away from real, honest Americans. Tina is also, not percieved to be Latina by mainstream America because of her blond hair, light skin and blue eyes. Lisa reaps the benefits of white privilege. Lisa makes not effort to correct her co-workers who refer to her as white. Lisa, is white adjacent.

• White adjacent

(n.) A person who is technically a minority, but has access to, utilizes and sometimes benefits from white privilege. This is usually accomplished by said person distancing themselves from the socio political problems their ethnic group commonly faces. Usually by considering considering themselves better than their minority counterparts sharing their same ethnic heritage. This can also be a person who thinks they are are better than other minorities possessing a darker complexion.

Example: Tina, who is Latina, believes that immigrants are a drain the economy because they take jobs away from real, honest Americans. Tina is also, not percieved to be Latina by mainstream America because of her blond hair, light skin and blue eyes. Lisa reaps the benefits of white privilege. Lisa makes not effort to correct her co-workers who refer to her as white. Lisa, is white adjacent.

Typical American BS where people are not people, but mere colors.

• oh okk tysm i understand now

how are asians closer to white ppl cuz of their skin tone??

and wdym we get white privelege?

im asian too and that is absolute bs

I agree with the op, theres no such thing as white adjacency

OP shared a definition and example, it will be a few responses above this comment. It will help clarify white adjacency and what I meant when I mentioned skin tone.

• it is real, there have been many example's in all minorities, not just asians.

It can only exist in the most narrowest of cases. Like in the example I posted, it literally involves a white person but who happens to be born in Hispanic culture.

The way most people are using "white adjacent" is as a label to everyone who isn't black or white.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!