Is it just me or are idols whiter /paler these days?

• Skin whitening and having a pale skin has been a thing in kpop for a long time but I noticed that the 4th gen idols and a lot of active 3rd gen idol seem very pale (almost unnaturally pale) compared to before. It seems like the skin is almost white as a sheet of paper. I am not hating on it but it was never this extreme and I realized this especially with female idols.

What do you think :?:

• omegateatimer

Changed the title of the thread from “Is it just me or are idols /paler these days?” to “Is it just me or are idols whiter /paler these days?”.
  • Maybe they aren't going out much because of the pandemic ?

I admit I didn't really notice anything specific about Gen 4, but I could be wrong.

• Maybe they aren't going out much because of the pandemic ?

I admit I didn't really notice anything specific about Gen 4, but I could be wrong.

Yeah but it also was a thing in 2019 so not only pandemic. I have also seen some idols in RL and they were very very very pale and keep in mind that the videos do not give them justice

• Skin whitening and filters. Even on regular ass behind the scenes video the company put whitening and smoothening filters lmao. Also a lot of them are naturally pale, but companies are seeking out specifically pale people that fit the current idol standards.

• they're not paler, it's just that whitening filters and lighting are being more used than before by kpop companies and tv shows.

loonapop only

Pin by ʀɪɴᴀ on LOOΠΔ | We heart it, Image, Find image

• Bro even my brown skin looks so pale rn maybe it’s because we’ve all been indoors for so long.

I am also black btw but as I have said before I also witnessed it before the whole scandal

It might be because of the pandemic and lock down so they aren't going out so much and getting sun. Also lighting on stage can make them appear much whiter than they really are. Plus foundation.

But it is more the opposite. The stage light is making idols not as pale as they are under normal light.

But it true that they have used more lighter foundations than before.

• Maybe just a combination of better access of skin treatment, less sun exposition, more heavy handed make up, filter, and photo edits (fans and official ones). Also, although not many are naturally pale, I believe those who are naturally paler are just selected more often as well.

• The beauty industry is always evolving and SK is at the forefront of plastic surgery and medical, high-tech skin procedures. It's not impossible that there is a new, more effective treatment available now. Probably in combination with the lack of exposure to the sun due to Corona-restrictions and it being winter.

They'd love Stockholm, we barely had three hours of sun for more than a month :/

• They do something to skin for sure! And it looks so weird and unnatural too!

I saw Korean girls few summers ago in my country with friend. We had such a wtf moment, I will never forget it. They were white as the wall, WHITE white! They looked basically in live like those white edited idol photos (idk even anymore are they so heavily edited at all after I saw this with my eyes). I never in my life saw something like that before. I am white and very pale and from country in most people are white, but still... Like you have some undertone even if you are fair white, you arent WHITE white like white wall.

• Literally!!

what really drives me off the walls are photos and videos where the FILTER is beyond forgivable... like it's actually scary!! I almost can't recognize some idols because the whitewashing drowns so much of their features.

I know it's too much to ask, but hopefully we can go back to the 2nd gen/more natural aesthetics

;(;(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!