The twitter rate limit, instagram moves, and will this affects kpop?

• Twitter Rate Limit

Yea.. Twitter is now limiting the rate tweets that could be read by a user (July 1st, 2023)

At first it was set as 6000 tweets for verified account, 600 for the non verified, and 300 for the new unverified acc. So the ratio are 10:1:0.5. (Although right now the limit had been uplifted into 10k, 1k and 500 tweets)

Screenshot_20230702-063235.jpg

But why?

It was said that the limitation came as a solution to fend off web scrapping. In this days of AI like chatGPT and it's colleagues, their training needs a ton amounts of data and hence they literally scrapped off the internet. Everything that are open to the public will be scrapped. And twitter is one of them.

Although there is no clear reason (or it might just me that missed that) why did they limit it, on many occasions before, Elon concerned about bots that tweeted like a real human. Maybe there is also another reason, since they are also closing a tweet's content on outside of twitter and it seems like some other website also do close their content, either paywalling their api or just paywalling their regular content.

And seeing that nowadays, AI-based company are thriving (need a confirmation, I remembered that there is a akp user that works on silicon valley, but i forget their username), it seems like other old big companies feels like their "assets" are being stolen/taken for free.

Instagram thread

Funnily enough, after the recent twitter rate limit, Instagram announced their new feature called thread, which function the same as tweet. Well, it's another day in social media apps where every app will copy other's features to seize the market.

Screenshot_20230702-063309.jpg

Then, will this affects kpop?

For official account, I doubt it will. Since the main thing that they do is just... tweeting, to write tweets, and this limitation is for reading the tweets.

I also doubt that this will affects their engagement unless their fans also follow 59 other group account that are posting 10 tweets a day.

Although if it do harm their engagement, I think they will just focusing on tiktok, instagram, fancafe or their own platform like weverse and such.

But maybe this will affects kpop communities. I don't know what type of tweets that are counted for the limit. Is it just the initial tweet? Or do the replies count? Do the retweet counts? If they count all type of tweet then this may affects the community behavior...

Kpop stans are known for their infamous fanwar. And in a fanwar, it's easy to load a hundred tweets that are coming from replies and mainly the qrts. Heck even a tweet's qrts could reach up to 1k and beyond.

Actually this might be a good thing you know? Since this will force kpop stans to choose participating in a fanwar in exchange to be hit with the limit and being unusable for the rest of the day.

Next is trending an hashtag. While this kinda more focused on posting, you will inadvertently loads a bunch of tweets that trying to trend that hashtag. Yes, spamming will affects the limit.

Of course there is some workaround. For the fanwars, you could have a main account for the information, and a second account for fanwar. For the hashtag things, you could spamming the hashtag by tweeting on your own, and not by replying an account.

All in all, I think this rate limit is still on public testing. They may uplift the limit again. But it won't affects kpop so much.

• Some KPOP accounts I follow have already announced opening an Instagram as a back up.

So, if Twitter becomes unusable, I think those communities will just migrate to IG.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• It is hard to say, I like some smaller groups who use twitter and I am aware some I don't follow haven't completed setting up social media accounts yet.

But social media changes all the time, compared to when I first got twitter for art in 2017 and 2018 it is so different now compared to what it was. I deleted it this week as soon as I created the account lol.

However in general, I'm sure it will change some bit but groups with just migrate to new platforms and adapt to the situation

• And seeing that nowadays, AI-based company are thriving (need a confirmation, I remembered that there is a akp user that works on silicon valley, but i forget their username), it seems like other old big companies feels like their "assets" are being stolen/taken for free.

ISaidISaid

I applaud your formatting! Not just paragraph separation, but also subtitles to assist readability. And no I'm not being sarcastic, good job!

• Some KPOP accounts I follow have already announced opening an Instagram as a back up.

So, if Twitter becomes unusable, I think those communities will just migrate to IG.

Yep I think they will just moving out to Instagram or TikTok. Idek why kpop companies still using twitter, since if we talk about visibility and reach to the world, instagram is bigger (and now tiktok is the biggest)

Maybe it's just for legacy, idk

But social media changes all the time, compared to when I first got twitter for art in 2017 and 2018 it is so different now compared to what it was. I deleted it this week as soon as I created the account lol.

Same, I stayed on that platform mostly because of the artist that I followed. They trying out Instagram but then coming back to twitter since Instagram's algo kinda pushed them to post everyday and it's too tiring ^^

• Yep I think they will just moving out to Instagram or TikTok. Idek why kpop companies still using twitter, since if we talk about visibility and reach to the world, instagram is bigger (and now tiktok is the biggest)

Maybe it's just for legacy, idk

Same, I stayed on that platform mostly because of the artist that I followed. They trying out Instagram but then coming back to twitter since Instagram's algo kinda pushed them to post everyday and it's too tiring ^^

I got back on Instagram recently but truthfully I don't use it enough, I have bookmarked the artist's page's I liked and just check in with them.

I totally agree!

• ISaidISaid

I applaud your formatting! Not just paragraph separation, but also subtitles to assist readability. And no I'm not being sarcastic, good job!

you’re absolutely right.

A lot of sites that host content are being scrapped by AI and companies are scrambling to close off. Social media is going to become more and more closed off to third party developers.

Or. It’s gonna just become a helluva lot more expensive.

• twitter is going to die from this, he either reverses this or everyone's migrating to IG or maybe their new twitter-like. Why would any companies pay for ads on twitter when no one can see them?

Yea this is a questionable moves.

The thing is, do blue subscription actually works for them? I remembered that even Elon giving out a free blue checks to some accounts.

Since if Elon gonna make this move, that means he gonna have some additional way to let the money in.

Or maybe this limitation is actually not just for the scrapping problem, but also works in tandem with blue subscription, since one of it's benefit (beside the bigger limit on read) is a bigger limit on character limit.

Like instead having a 2 tweets with 280, char each, you can just have it in one tweet, making your audience/follower to load less tweet. (Since your limit is 25k char)

But idk, we don't know how things are actually going on their end.

Social media is going to become more and more closed off to third party developers.

Or. It’s gonna just become a helluva lot more expensive.

yep, this "chatgpt' waves turns out to be disruptive to some business.

Tho actually I kinda disappointed by Twitter since their solution is just bluntly limits all users. I've seen some people even replying under Elon's tweet about how to mitigate the scrapping.

But well can't be helped ig, since Elon cutting off like half of their tech engineers back in the February or something ^^

• i wish everyone would just move to tumblr cause its better than twitter and we could just have pretty gifsets of everything and stil have fanwars

like the visuals of tumblr are much superior to the visuals of twitter

• i wish everyone would just move to tumblr cause its better than twitter and we could just have pretty gifsets of everything and stil have fanwars

like the visuals of tumblr are much superior to the visuals of twitter

Seems like it won't be a mass exodus but rather a distributed one.

Beside tumblr, I've seen people going to mastodon, and a new app called bluesky (which are intended to be the better twitter in terms of the user). There is also hive and for some artist, they are considering to move unto Instagram or tiktok

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!