[BTS CONTENT] If BTS were to leave BigHit, would they also easily get their copyrights to their brand?

• There are two points of contention that I feel will make BTS stay with BigHit; Their loyalty and the difficulties I presumed it would be to get their masters/trademark in the Bangtan Universe.

But another group who had hit songs also got their trademark without the fanfare.

So I am starting to think that SK is making it easier for idols to keep their trademark or in GFriend's case, rejecting big companies from using it. Does this bode well for BTS if they ever wanted to leave, AKP ARMY?

• I don't think HYBE would be that generous to the group that they're milking endlessly. :(

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• I am actually one of those people who think BH or Hybe will not be able to do much if BTS decide to leave cause all of Korea will turn against the company if they dare to do any underhanded tactics, not to mention they will have Armys, in Korea and internationally, furious at them.

It would be an entire PR and goodwill disaster and will cause major damage to their stocks too. Plus Korean laws are artist friendly so there is only so much Hybe can do within the bounds of the law.

So if BTS want to leave, they will IMO.

• I am actually one of those people who think BH or Hybe will not be able to do much if BTS decide to leave cause all of Korea will turn against the company if they dare to do any underhanded tactics, not to mention they will have Armys, in Korea and internationally, furious at them.

It would be an entire PR and goodwill disaster and will cause major damage to their stocks too. Plus Korean laws are artist friendly so there is only so much Hybe can do within the bounds of the law.

Agree with this. I actually don't think BTS will leave, but if they ever decided they wanted to, it'd be a disaster on Hybe's part if they tried to stop them. Most of Hybe's goodwill in SK stems from BTS, and that'd evaporate quickly if they tried to screw them out of their name or IP.

• No way.

All the groups getting these copyrights are the ones whose IPs aren't really worth saving for the company. We have Got7, Ikon and Infinite so far who got them. I am not saying they are flops, but they can only make money through a new content, they don't get a lot of back catalog streams or sales, so logically it makes no sense for company to hold the IP without the members. BTS tho is another story. Hybe still probably gets millions per year from Spotify, previous album sales, merch, DVDs, licensing and etc.

Best answer

Hybe has no choice if the most influential Korean artist ever wants to leave

• The question is not whether they can leave the company or not. The problem is whether they can take their masters/trademarks with them. We're talking about a company that has tried applied treadmark for Gfriend more than 20 times, trying to trademarked a slogan that even belongs to Tae.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

• Honestly speaking even if HYBE won't let them keep the name BTS, the seven of them can just start over and rebrand their name. I honestly think that if any of the members truly wanted to leave, they're the ones that hold the power. ARMYs will follow BTS, not the company. In terms of their music ownership, I think BTS would have to buy them from HYBE so whether BTS does that or not is not something I can predict. But they could re-record like Taylor is doing.

They would definitely put a fight but honestly, in order for their stocks to not fall too much I think they would try to reach an agreement with BTS. At the end of the day, if they publicly fought with BTS, the public would also turn away from them.

If I say anything incorrect please correct me and I will edit my comment accordingly. I'm also very sarcastic so please don't take anything I say to heart.

• No way.

All the groups getting these copyrights are the ones whose IPs aren't really worth saving for the company. We have Got7, Ikon and Infinite so far who got them. I am not saying they are flops, but they can only make money through a new content, they don't get a lot of back catalog streams or sales, so logically it makes no sense for company to hold the IP without the members. BTS tho is another story. Hybe still probably gets millions per year from Spotify, previous album sales, merch, DVDs, licensing and etc.

As per the latest report, BTS contributes more than 60% to Hybe's 750mn USD revenue, even in hiatus.

• The question is not whether they can leave the company or not. The problem is whether they can take their masters/trademarks with them. We're talking about a company that has tried applied treadmark for Gfriend more than 20 times, trying to trademarked a slogan that even belongs to Tae.

Artists can survive without their masters, very few even own their masters in the first place. If recent Korean judgements are anything to go by, artists are winning all the cases against their companies, so even if push comes to shove, BTS are winning the lawsuit.

Totally this.

• I hope the guys all have amazing third party advisors and lawyers helping them understand exactly what they need to demand should they choose to stay. I believe they trusted whatever BangPD did back in 2018, a lot has changed since then.

I think that if they don't want to renew, HYBE has to choose their public moves very, very carefully because BTS parting with their label will make international headlines and the entire public image of K-pop will rest in the balance of how that is handled.

• Of course can i mean we are talking about "The BTS". The group that bigger than the company. Like BangPD said himself they wouldnt even be there in that position without BTS. They built it themselves with their own hardwork.

The real question though is if the members wanted to leave?

• Artists can survive without their masters, very few even own their masters in the first place. If recent Korean judgements are anything to go by, artists are winning all the cases against their companies, so even if push comes to shove, BTS are winning the lawsuit.

:pepe-pray::pepe-pray::pepe-pray:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!