Do young kids REALLY need to be exposed to drag queens?

• I think it’s good for kids to learn about diversity but at the same time I don’t think it’s necessary for adults to get personal with them regarding their lifestyle that involve elements of sexualization and suggestive themes. And especially NOT inviting kids to perform drag shows in front of men as was done with Desmond, who was 10 years old at the time. I’m not sure if kpop fans still care about children after they decided it’s not a problem for big companies to debut minors, but it’s not uncommon for adults to exploit “acceptance” to get access to children in ways that are not in their best interest.

• The real question is why not ?

Drag queens are normal people trying to separate them from kids just push the idea that they are abnormal and that's how you have kids becoming homophobic when they grow up

Also the fact that you consider that every drag show involve sexualization etc... Just make me see that you don't know a lot about drag show because you would know that family friendly drag show exist

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• The real question is why not ?

Drag queens are normal people trying to separate them from kids just push the idea that they are abnormal and that's how you have kids becoming homophobic when they grow up

Also the fact that you consider that every drag show involve sexualization etc... Just make me see that you don't know a lot about drag show because you would know that family friendly drag show exist

But they shouldn’t involve sexualization, which some are pushing the limits on that the more it becomes common. If it’s only general education on drag queen culture that’s not a problem.

• Not all drag queens are super sexual, it’s an art form. Saying that, I don’t really know why we need drag queens in schools. Why do we need to explain sexuality’s to 7 year olds. Save that for middle school. I don’t get it. As long as a drag show is age mature I don’t see a problem with a child being there. I just don’t care for the whole drag queens in schools teaching stuff to children. Please just let kids be kids.

• IMO, drag is just another form of cosplay. As long as there's not too much sexuality involved, I don't have a problem with it. And when they have Drag Queen Story Hour, it's usually either a Dame Edna type or someone in fairy godmother drag.

• If it's a non-sexualized drag show/drag queen, then why not? Kids get exposed to all sorts of performances; you could argue that drag shows aren't quite as traditional as opera/ballet/whatnot, but they're still a type of performance!!

As long as the show isn't 18+/is family friendly, should be fine; for younger kids it'd be easier to explain it as cosplay, initially at least!!

• It probably depends.

Where I'm from, drag shows are adult entertainment and the theatres are usually found in red light districts. The shows themselves are quite witty with a fair bit of social commentary mixed in, but they're also full of innuendo. So at least the ones I've seen were definitely not for kids.

I also have to admit that I don't see why kids need to constantly be exposed to questions about sex and sexuality. It's not their responsibility to solve your identity issues. Let them be kids. They're going to start asking questions of their own soon enough.

• Well... I saw this thing as a child and I turned out fine.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• if it's non-sexualised why not

you don't need to tell kids anything about sexuality to watch a drag show, they don't usually question that stuff. It's no different to them than actors wearing wigs and other costumes. For centuries only men were allowed to be actors anyway and so all female roles were played by men, did it turn everyone in Europe into homosexuals? no? well then.

people acting like there's drag queens on every corner preying on their kids are just creating a non-existent issue to pander to super conservative voters.

• We really don’t. Kids should be kids doing kids stuff. Better not expose them to stuff that teens do like it’s a norm where parents don’t allow kids to wear makeup until they reach the right age.

• Desmond was around a literal convicted murderer and that's his mom exploiting him and introducing him to some shady people. His situation isn't the only side of drag though. Drag queens really are just dressing up. It's not a sexual thing by itself. I don't think it's harmful as long as it's a wholesome drag queen. Should kids be in adult clubs? No. But I don't see a problem with them being aware of drag queens and learning and interacting with them.

Sincerely, CranMelon

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!