Having no children in America is a financially sound choice

• And will never understand why women who follow this choice are shamed for it.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My thoughts exactly.

• It ain’t even always about the financial aspects lol, if a women doesn’t want kids, that’s that. They shame women for not having kids simply because they don’t want them

God why.

• why dont all these conservatives help women who wants kid to afford it?

My friend would love to have kids but she realistically cant afford them

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• watching handmaiden's tale this week, and seeing how politicians want to force women to have kids in real world too

• If someone doesn't think kids are for them it's better to not have them than for them to have kids and resent them. I don't think my grandma even wanted kids based on how she was as a mom and grandmother.

Sincerely, CranMelon

• Women can give birth but that doesn't mean every woman should have to.

I can't stand kids, which is something I openly admit to irl as well. And yet, there are still people who feel the need to tell me that my life isn't complete without one.

Honey, were you listening? I have zero maternal instinct. Zero. What have children done to you that you'd want one to be stuck with me as their mother?

• i'd rather the people obsessed with this stuff adopt at least one of the millions of unwanted children out there instead of making a bunch more of their own and using that as some sort of faux moral high ground to stand on . conversely, i think it's also kinda stupid to make fun of women who choose to have kids and stay home to take care of their family

• i have not seen the video or anything but if this about women choosing to have children or not

have people any idea what it takes for a woman to gestate and carry a pregnancy and raise a child? its a very serious thing, like u don't just force someone to do it

• why dont all these conservatives help women who wants kid to afford it?

My friend would love to have kids but she realistically cant afford them

Then maybe she should better herself and then be able to afford them, not rely on someone else to support her. Its not up to the public to help others with their kids.

• I've only got my daughter and didn't want any more children and that was my choice and shouldn't be shamed for that. There are many advantages and very few disadvantages of the one child and society need to get over its hang up about it.

I also understand that some women don't want kids at all and that is fine too. Do people honestly know how much it costs to raise a child from kindy to year 12? There is a financial crisis going on and people need to be saving every penny. It is certainly different times we are living in.

• I can perfectly understand why women, even in "wealthy" developed countries, don't want kids.

As a cishet guy that doesn't want kids and is open about it, I already get enough shit. I've lost a relationship over it. I'm viewed with suspicion. I must be gay obviously. I shouldn't be trusted around other peoples kids. I'm less of a man. It's because I'm obviously an incel. It's just a "phase" that I will get over when I "meet the right person". I'm selfish. I'm cruel. I have a "mental problem". A bank even mentioned in their refusal to give me a home loan that at my age, without kids, I'm too much of a "risk".

They have all been said to or about me in the past few years when I mention I don't care to have kids.

And yet it still pales in the face of all the shit women who choose to be childless get. It's disgusting some of the crap I've heard childless women have to endure. They get it all and worse.

Society expects men to eventually settle down and become the "man of the family".

Yet they DEMAND women do and pitch a fit when women wont.

• I don't know. I have thought about the prospect of having kids and I don't know if it's meant for me. But I also agree with the right winger types that a lot of us, without kids or a family might be alone and depressed as we get older. I think at the bare minimum I want to get married just to not have to come home to an empty house.

• But I also agree with the right winger types that a lot of us, without kids or a family might be alone and depressed as we get older.

But isn't that because so much of society has grown around the concept of families, raising kids and continuing your line as the "ultimate" in life fulfilment? A lot of our lives, we've been told, and led to believe, that a lot of happiness in your life (especially mid and late stage) is based around family, and in particular starting and raising your own family. Society has trained us to believe that people who dont follow that norm will be sad, unfulfilled, lonely and somehow "less valuable" members of society.

It's a hard mindset to break because literally everything around you, the media, peers, politicians, financial institutions, churches etc wants you to believe that you can't possibly be childless and still be happy, loved and fulfilled in life.

You can be though. Like you said, find a like minded long term partner that also doesn't want kids*. Adopt pets. Take up and revel in hobbies and passions that are much easier without kids. Surround yourself with an active social circle. Travel and see the world or your own country if you can (this is actually much easier to do without kids). Be a little selfish and realise that you have very much made a life choice that means you can be the number 1 person in your own world. The King or Queen of your own castle.

*But DEFINITELY make sure a partners wants on this and yours are definitely the same. If one of you do want kids and the other definitely doesn't, it will get very ugly and messy. Neither party should be expected to change their minds on this and all it will do is make one of you resentful for a very long time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!