Why are sales from asian artists so much higher than the ones from western artists ?

• This is honestly such a weird cultural divide ?

I think it's no secret to anyone that western artists, even the ones with big fandom, don't sell albums anymore. And, if they do, that's because they have a big fandom in China or Japan.

Do we know why that is ? Sure, streaming replaced physical sales, but when you're fan of an artist you should want to support them, right ? Like, I do have Billie's album, I do have Taylor's album.

So what's the deal ?

• Korean: because of fandom culture and fan signs/Chinese bars bulk buying (except BTS not as much, proven by BE).

Japanese: because its still leaving the physical era and not fully in digital era like the rest of the world + fandom culture

• Because Westerners no longer buy in physical format

And in the case of idols they are inflated sales due to bulk sales, it looks good that your idol sells 1, 2, 3, 4, 1000 million, even if each fan buys 30 copies

• Because Westerners no longer buy in physical format

And in the case of idols they are inflated sales due to bulk sales, it looks good that your idol sells 1, 2, 3, 4, 1000 million, even if each fan buys 30 copies

Do you think idol culture might happen in the western world ?

Also does that mean that beside idol groups, albums sales in Asia aren't that good ? :whatb: ( I honestly don't know, lol )

• Because Western artists don't inflate or promote the fandom culture the same as Asian/Kpop artists. They have more casual fans than "stans". Also you get a lot of nice things when you buy a physical album from Kpop artists (photocards, photobooks, etc).

Seeing how much money it brings, I'm surprised western artists aren't doing the same thing tho :dancer:

• Because physical sales are dead in the west and doesn’t encourage the same crazy fandom culture as Asian idol culture does. It’s not like Korean non-idol solo artists have great sales... Personally I think the focus and pressure to “support” your idols that exists in kpop is a bad thing and not something to encourage.

• Most of famous western artists are usually supported mostly by general public and fandoms are a bonus, while in Asia fandom usually comes first, some Asian artists have developed the so-called cult of personality even, so their fans will buy anything and everything that they put out

KIMKAI48

059e37d0b9c38b277aec681de8161eeb7e65a633.gifv

• Fandom for sure

But in the end of the day, these are just numbers. Western acts are probably not too worried about it especially the big streaming acts. The :peperich: is what truly matters.

• Do you think idol culture might happen in the western world ?

Also does that mean that beside idol groups, albums sales in Asia aren't that good ? :whatb: ( I honestly don't know, lol )

0 chance, young western people grew up with digital formats (streaming, youtube and mp3 piracy)

• Lol because no one is more obsessed with buying physical albums than kpop stans.

In Japan for example there is still a CD culture but for the rest of kpop fans it’s just merchandise no different than bundling by buying more than one album to increase sales.

Not that western artists stans don’t do it but it’s just much more of a prevalent culture among kpop stans.

BTW it’s not that western artists don’t have fans, they do have many but people have collectively moved on from buying CDs even if you’re a fan.

• Idol culture is build on visuals and entertaining personalities hence all the fanmeets, high touch and hugs events. Idol fans are interested to know who the loudest snorer in the group and what each member fav food so naturally any form of support a company demand for the group will be fulfilled by the fans. Western artists sell music first and most don’t have stans that care for anything about them other than that.however, I do think future western groups who’ll debut in a similar way to kpop idols will get medium to high physical sales so more than it being Asian/ western it’s just the idol culture.

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• I think the album buying culture is mostly prevalent in East Asia now. Its now the era of streaming.

・゚ 🎀 𝐵𝓁𝒶𝒸𝓀𝓅𝒾𝓃𝓀 𝐹❤𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 🎀 ゚・

42880fa4ac96298e4b26e69acc7466df9c020cfb.gifv61d9d03079dcca08018fddc7e065366fd5b1cb33.gifvc36d4dbbfdddf670228a3e8d52e5040a4ad6850a.gifvb84a5edbd39d08ccaad6db639e0740f4562821c6.gifv

• I find it funny how people here are assuming that only Asians have fandom culture. Fandom culture is also pretty strong in the West. We have acts like Taylor, the Beatles and Harry Styles having lots of pure album sales in the streaming era too due to their big fandoms.

Western acts just can’t build that same loyalty Asian fandoms seem to have now. It is dominated by casual fans rather than stans. That’s why currently apart from Taylor, western acts can’t seem to sell out stadiums and only perform in arenas because casual fans rarely will spend money for your concert if they don’t even spend for your albums.

And unlike Asians where an act’s success depends on their fans like how it used to be in the past, for the west it all depends on label support. And they do this because western acts lack fandoms to stream for them unless it’s pushed down the gp’s throat.

• I find it funny how people here are assuming that only Asians have fandom culture. Fandom culture is also pretty strong in the West. We have acts like Taylor, the Beatles and Harry Styles having lots of pure album sales in the streaming era too due to their big fandoms.

Western acts just can’t build that same loyalty Asian fandoms seem to have now. It is dominated by casual fans rather than stans. That’s why currently apart from Taylor, western acts can’t seem to sell out stadiums and only perform in arenas because casual fans rarely will spend money for your concert if they don’t even spend for your albums.

And unlike Asians where an act’s success depends on their fans like how it used to be in the past, for the west it all depends on label support. And they do this because western acts lack fandoms to stream for them unless it’s pushed down the gp’s throat.

Right.

Like look at what happened to Katy Perry.

"The GP" supporting an artist is a myth. Outside of few real hits and very very few really big artists with cross-generational appeal like Adele, majority of western pop stars depend almost entirely on their labels and industry push. Most of "the GP" listens to whatever radio and playlists pushes on them, since theyre not very invested in music and use it mostly for background tapestry.

• Right.

Like look at what happened to Katy Perry.

"The GP" supporting an artist is a myth. Outside of few real hits and very very few really big artists with cross-generational appeal like Adele, majority of western pop stars depend almost entirely on their labels and industry push. Most of "the GP" listens to whatever radio and playlists pushes on them, since theyre not very invested in music and use it mostly for background tapestry.

What happened to Katy Perry is terrifying. Made me think about Taylor in her documentary : 'I want to make music while society still allows me to be successful'

• What happened to Katy Perry is terrifying. Made me think about Taylor in her documentary : 'I want to make music while society still allows me to be successful'

It seems to be a pattern of the industry to only push female artists until theyre marketable in their terms, which seems to be related to age. Once the best before is over, the plug is pulled. This applies mostly to industry pushed pop stars, ones with more subtance generally dont have such a steep fall since they didnt have the artificial peak to fall from.

Im half convinced that Grammys robbed Fiona Apple of her deserved main category noms because shes a woman over 40.

Its very different to they way industry treats male artists.

• Overall, K-pop fans are on average far more hardcore and invested into their bias groups and bias idols than other music fans are.

Idol culture is far stronger with K-pop and J-pop than in American/Western pop music scene as it is now.

Western pop music industry as a whole moving away from groups and idol culture in general was 1 of the stupidest mistakes being made by them.

Additionally, Japanese law is such that it protects and encourages physical music media more so than digital music.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• More simps lol

I think it's probably that Asian fans are more obsessive and dedicated so their more willing to buy albums in an era where digitals are the standard way of selling music

• This thread contains 23 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!