It's so funny how we see European or South American artists as standart but freak out when the artist is Asian

• You get what I mean, when an person like Louis Fonsi from Puerto Rico or someone like Zed from Germany drop a song or when someone like Shakira from Colombia drop songs we all take it as normal to listen stuff like that and don't even shame people for listening to such music, but as soon the person is a NCT from Korea or a Fujii Kaze from Japan people get rude and mok you for it. It's so strange to me to realise that people take music from Europe and South America for granted most of the time and than on the other hand bully someone when it's music from Asia.

Why can't people just normalise it? I mean sure if you live in the country people will most likly take it as a normal music taste when you for example live in Thailand and listen to Thai pop but as soon you live in France and say you like KPop everyone gives you a weird look, but are totally ok with it when someone else says they like a Spanish singer.

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• I think it’s more of a stigma and stereotype around the types of people who listen to those genres. Like another user mentioned in this thread, Kpop stans can have a reputation for being a bit obsessed and toxic (even though that usually does not apply for the majority) while people who are fans of anything Japanese are immediately labeled weebs. But now I think people are able to express their like and love for kpop and jpop groups without being thought of as weird, so long as they do not act according to the stereotype lol

• People who dislike music from Asia w/o even listening to it - it’s due to their ignorance and narrow worldview based on stereotypes and bias.

It is their loss - so many great musicians and artists from across Asia.

I’m Asian and even when I listened to Asian music back in the 90’s in the US, ppl made comments, including other Asians that looked down on Asian music lol too. It’s more about them than the music.

• i think Fuji Kaze is much better received than kpop, simply because he's style of music and styling fits within the western standers, where else kpop concept is very much different than what the west is used to, but i feel like now days kpop is less and less scrutinized and listening to kpop is more accepted.

the industry in the west is allready changing. in the long term they cant resist the money.

the other music: rock, rap, metal all needed years to get accepted by the established branches.

• the industry in the west is allready changing. in the long term they cant resist the money.

the other music: rock, rap, metal all needed years to get accepted by the established branches.

Yes believe me, as a KA living in the US for several decades, i can tell you for sure that things are changing. The only times i saw Asian people in any entertainment were in movie roles like Mr Miyagi in Karate Kid, nerds in teen comedies like Revenge of the Nerds and Sixteen Candles, and Bruce Lee ;( . There were no Asians in music.

Now, Asian actors are everywhere, Asian films are winning Oscars, even some Asian athletes are making waves in Western sports like golf, soccer, baseball and basketball. Asian acts are actually a legitimate niche in music as well.

• great to hear. as a non asian i got the same impression.

europe having a smaller asian minoriy is a little behind. but besides aditional local artists consuming the same englishspeaking movies and music. there is definetly a development. 3 of 10 nonenglishspeaking series on netflix are korean dont look like a onetimer.

in europe some western regions may also be more progressive and tolerant then some eastern reagions. i guess that also apply to certain US regions?

• You get what I mean, when an person like Louis Fonsi from Puerto Rico or someone like Zed from Germany drop a song or when someone like Shakira from Colombia drop songs we all take it as normal to listen stuff like that and don't even shame people for listening to such music, but as soon the person is a NCT from Korea or a Fujii Kaze from Japan people get rude and mok you for it. It's so strange to me to realise that people take music from Europe and South America for granted most of the time and than on the other hand bully someone when it's music from Asia.

Why can't people just normalise it? I mean sure if you live in the country people will most likly take it as a normal music taste when you for example live in Thailand and listen to Thai pop but as soon you live in France and say you like KPop everyone gives you a weird look, but are totally ok with it when someone else says they like a Spanish singer.

Shakira took a lot of shit when she started singing in English.

Global Music culture is dominated by 1, English and 2 American culture.

Is harder for artists outside those 2 to become global stars.

Is not impossible and it happens for sure, but is a bit more difficult.

That is why is not "weird" for some one in say India to listen to 1. local language music or some band from the UK/America, but it would be a bit "weird" if they listened to Russian music for example. Is not wrong, perhaps the person studied in Russia, or just likes how it sounds, but in the context of India, it would be seen as out of the normal.

Latin music has grown in popularity and has almost a global audience, still not anywhere close to English language music.

Kpop does have a few advantages over other non-English music.

1. is very westernized/Americanized

2. Has some English lyrics.

A disadvantage is that the title 'idol' has bad connotations in the west.

• Most of the music industry and critics in the West view K-Pop as manufactured with bots as fans.

That’s why they look down on K-Pop accomplishments so easily

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!