Why do you think KPOP artists aren't being taken as seriously in America?

• Background:

I'm a college student currently working on a capstone/senior project. And since I'm into KPOP, I naturally wanted to make my project based on that. It focuses on the KPOP industry and marketing in hopes of building a bridge to uplift Asian-American artists.

Discussion:

KPOP has been a cultural phenomenon amongst Asian representation in American mainstream media for some time now. What confuses me though is that even the biggest act, BTS, is either still unknown or not taken seriously despite breaking many records. I've seen a lot of common discussions around xenophobia and cultural barriers/differences. I welcome more diverse perspectives as to why, but if you would like to touch on those reasons listed earlier, please go into depth. I'm hypothesizing that it's a lot of that "foreigner" or outsider kind of vibes. I wanted to get multiple perspectives from y'all in the community.

In addition to that, what do you think are or aren't successful marketing strategies from KPOP in America and why?

• Because BG and GG have always been frowned upon, they have always been seen as teenage music in the West.

When PSY's song went viral around the world, western media and people mostly appreciated the dance and the fact that the MV was funny. The music has never been perceived as very good.

It's rude to say this, but at the moment kpop hasn't reached its golden age at all yet. Generations and artist are gifted but this revolutionary artist is still missing who will shake up the codes and completely change the image of kpop for the GP in the West.

• As an American myself

I don't think what I will say will be factual but i will provide you in contrast to my own theory with Logical evidence to prove why this is the case.

also disclaimer im 17, i might sound smart, but im a dumbass lmao

So i'd like to start right off about the fact you made about Xenophobia, ( im in love with History and thank god i took American history this year or i wouldn't have as good of an answer rn lmao)

In Americas past, Immigrants coming was Problematic, mainly for Asian immigrants cause of WW2, from there it was never ending hate for them, death threats and Yellow Journalism ( fake news) didn't make it any better, making out Asians (Mainly Chinese and Japanese) people that they are not and i think that has folded into peoples mind.

I can confidently say that Americans have an image in their head based on who someone is based on their race and whatever race they are, they still "believe" the stereotypes from the Yellow journalism from all those years ago, to even further confirm this my dad says really mean shit about Mexicans saying they don't belong here ( for example during any music award show anyone how is Hispanic and or spanish will say mean shit saying they win something for not even singing in the English language and sometimes they give a speech in their native language and says go back to your own country) He also makes rude remarks based on Asians in which ik isn't true , my mom says that all Asians are the same, they are all mean and Rude ( also false)

So to all of that American's ( and i believe to contrary belief and unpopular opinion) America and Americans just wanna look like they are that one Superior Country compared to everyone else, saying we are the best and that's that, like in American history we are no better and it can break immigrants hearts and foreigners to learn what America is really like cause we are not perfect, but majority of Americans don't see it that way.

I think America's eyes Korea is just a country that exists and Nothing more, since we helped South Korea in the War, Americans don't view them as Threats nor send out as much hate per say as if someone was Chinese or Japanese ( that's just my view and can be very wrong since some people cant tell a single difference between the 3 races) But K-pop Idols/ Groups are only acknowledged When they make a Song or do something that pleases the American audience's and then boom all the sudden they love you (Like what BTS did with the English trilogy and all massive hits because it was in English) again adding into my theory that America see's themselves as Superior they will still won't treat you Right and make rude remarks ( Like being interview by an American News show, being on a show, performing at a music show you get the idea) there might be a small silver lining where they are praised for accomplishing something while explaining who they are before a live performance but that's it, remember recently when that Guy at the Whitehouse said something negatively to BTS while speaking against Asian hate? Or when AleXa won on the ASC but yet had no major appearance on the BBMA's? It's just Americas way of disregarding Korea/ the Korean people

In conclusion, American's just can't look past what the Past's influence has on them because they wanna remain the "Superior" Country that they think is perfect and stands above the rest like they are the only people that exists

I hope this helps you out and gets your Mind Jogging :lover3:

• One thing is the language barrier, some artist might become famous but just for their few songs, after their hype is gone it is over. Some might still listen to them but majority only just fandom that streaming, the GP will not give a damn. Second, it is Western thought that they always be no.1 in whatever they do, anything that any country artists outside from them starting a trend, they will claim it. LOL

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!