Kdramas that have deserved the hype?

• I will admit that I'm a bit of a popularist—I largely watch things to share and engage and discuss with other people, which I find difficult to do with smaller or more niche dramas. While I love to watch, dissect and pick apart popular pieces of media as a part of my own creative process, there is almost ALWAYS a reason a drama gets popular... which leads me to ask:

Are there any dramas that you have seen particularly hyped up and/or widely discussed that you, too, absolutely fell in love with—and for what reasons?

(I'll give my examples first... I have recently absolutely fallen for CLOY, IOTNBO and Healer; nearly everybody I've seen has at least liked these, and I personally think they're each beautifully shot, with incredible chemistry and very lovable main and side-characters. They have brilliantly executed character arcs paired with exceptional pacing, and I loved each of the themes these dramas explored. Each were never afraid or self-conscious to tell slightly whimsical, but still very rooted stories and I genuinely believe that all of them deserve any praise and hype that they might get.)

• Squid Game, imo. I got Netflix just to watch it, and it led me into keeping Netflix to watch more kdramas. The death game trope is one of my favorite tropes, and I think Squid Game used it to its best effect to make a social commentary.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Sassy Girl Chun Hyung (2005)

City Hunter (2010)

The Princess Man (2011)

My Princess (2011)

Heirs (2013)

I Can Hear Your Voice (2013)

Healer (2014)

Goblin (2016)

Mr. Sunshine (2018)

My list includes both critically acclaimed dramas that got popular hype as well as some that were popularly hyped yet critically divisive or panned.

I fell in love with kdrama originally because of its modest melodramatic and trope laden origins. I found these archetypes fascinating and emotionally moving even though those aspects are often the type that get harsh criticism from many.

I also like the occasional critical darling, though those are fewer and farther between.

To this day I still yearn for Kdramas of old that leaned into their more modest soap opera origins. And tend to be against the grain in that respect when it comes to many modern kdrama watchers, who welcome Kdramas ascent to international prestige and budget.

I wish for a simpler time. Which perhaps mirrors my perspective as it comes to kpop.

• this all my favorite deserve the hype😅
    Mr Sunshine
    Empress Ki 2013
    Bridal Mask 2012
    Arthdal Chronicles 2019
    Jumong 2006
    Jeong Do Jeong KBS 2014
    Moonshine 2022

Live Up to Your Name, Dr. Heo TVN 2017

All About Eve MBC 2000

Backstreet Rookie SBS 2020

Baker King KBS 2010 King of Baking Kim Tak Goo

High Kick! The Revenge of the Short Legged MBC 2011

The Innocent Man (Nice Guy) KBS 2012
    Witch Yoo Hee SBS 2007
    Terms of Endearment KBS 2003
    Loveholic KBS 2005

Liar Game TVN 2014
    Full House 2004
    A Man's Story (The Slingshot) KBS 2009

Briliant Legacy SBS 2009
    Miss Korea MBC 2016

Queen of the Game SBS 2007

Super Rookie MBC 2005

The Secret Lovers MBC 2005
    The Spies Who Loved Me MBC 2020

Oh! Pil Seung And Bong Soon Young KBS 2004
    My Fair Lady KBS 2009 (Take Care of My Young Lady)

Sea of Ambition (My Lady) MBC 2008

Three Brothers KBS 2009

Which Star Are You From MBC 2006

Autumn Shower MBC 2005

Curtain Call KBS 2022

Kiss Sixth Sense Disney+ 2022
    I'll Give You The Stars and The Moon KBS 2012
    Couple Breaking 2007
    Blue Fish 2007

• Hmmm my dilemma is that there are lesser known Kdrama that deserves more public hype because they were soooo great but the super good ones sometimes tackle sensitive issues and ppl aren’t in the mood. So I get why they may be not been on the must watch list.

For example, “Happiness” was incredible but it dealt with a virus that turned ppl into zombies. The plot and characters were stress inducing I get why many ppl didn’t want to watch it but as a long time Kdrama watcher, it was def one of the best dramas I saw in recent years. Great plot, acting, direction, cinematography etc. If you like ‘survival’ and thrillers, add this one to your list ….

Others that deserved more hype: Move to Heaven (after death cleaning services and a main character with a disability!) and Taxi Driver (action! Revenge! Teamwork!)

Among the super popular Kdrama that lives up to the mega-hype for me after all these years: Kingdom, Reply 1988, Dae Jang Geum (Jewel of the Palace).

• I'm a bit of the opposite, I enjoy watching things that are not hyped or series that "flies under the radar". Thats why I have stayed away from show like The Heirs, SKY Castle and Descendants of the Sun. All three was popular shows, but non of them sounds like a fun watch when reading about them. But I like Park Shin-hye so a bit hard to not watch The Heirs.

But I also watch "hyped" dramas if they sounds intresting or I get curious about them, like Squid Game and Extraordinary Attorney Woo, both really good dramas.

CLOY, good drama, but sometimes I wonder if it was really that good? maybe it was.

Same with My Love from the Stars. A couple of years since I saw it and I know I like it. But today I wonder if it really was that good?

Goblin was good, but maybe a bit overrated.

All of the "Reply" dramas are great (1994,1997 and 1988), totally deserves the hype.

But at the end of the day for me it's more important that the drama sounds to have an intresting story or have an actor/actress I like than if the drama is popular or not, even if I checked out ratings to get a clue if a show is good or not.

• let me be your knight - the acting, the soundtrack, the story i love it

True beauty - despite the boring repetitive school theme i found the story and music to be really good the acting was great!

Semantic error - who doesnt live seoham? His chemistry with jarchan was on par and the acting wasnt as cringy as other bls i watched

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!