I really don't understand NMIXX and these new group hype

• Some people like their songs, and some people don't i can get it, we've all different taste. But I'm still puzzled by all these threads I see lately, why this hype ? What is so special about this group? I don't understand and unfortunately I have the unpleasant impression that more and more fans trivialize anything and everything and call it talent when it affects a group from a big company. I've see the same about Aespa, le sserafim, New jeans. I could also take the older and very popular group examples but that's still a different case.

I very often see hyped vocal performances, while often they are performances that are not even Live ... This opinion is mine, but I think it's getting worse and worse and real talent is no longer rewarded as it should be, now everyone is called talented in BIG4 because I think it has become a trend because the fans of all these groups absolutely do not assume that in reality all your groups are only there or they are for their visual and their agency and salving their conscience.

Some 2nd gen fans have turned away from kpop and I think I know better and better why, now kpop has lost a lot of its charm with the BIG4 hegemony monopolizing the attention of fans too lazy to care about lesser known groups. If you're so interested in vocal talent and vocal performance why aren't all interested in Ailee or BTOB? Yet they have even more talent but you all would rather talk about talent on a thread with a performance of any BIG4 idol.

I know it won't come to anything, but if it can at least help some people to think about all this. Please let's give real recognition to real talent no matter the popularity or the visual and stop naming everything and anything as talent.

That was my useless hot take of the day :pepe-tea:

• NMIXX singing live in front of BoA to the point where she wants to reserve them to sing at her wedding:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(They also have a discussion on singing technique afterwards)

EDIT: Oh, and this is NMIXX singing their title track completely acapella:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

For what it's worth, I ilstened to Ailee since her debut and still think SoHyang is the best female singer in South Korea in terms of vocal technique. It's been frustrating to watch NMIXX title tracks be unsuitable to showing what the group is capable of. I think half the "hype" is actually frustration from fans who can see the mismatch between singer and songs.

• For what it's worth, I ilstened to Ailee since her debut and still think SoHyang is the best female singer in South Korea in terms of vocal technique.

Yes but i think you missed my point. ^^

It was mostly to say that it was hypocritical to say love talent or be there for the music but only be interested in popular idols in reality. If I do a poll for the best singer between Ailee, Rosé and Jihyo I'm almost sure that Ailee will come last.

NMIXX singing live in front of BoA to the point where she wants to reserve them to sing at her wedding:

Pls don't get me wrong i don't say they're trash, but for me they're decent/good nothing amazing we've seen better than them. I'm mainly trying to say that talent is everywhere, not just in the big company, and moreover talent is often more outside than in these company. I just try to encourage people to open their mind and discover new things.

• Yes but i think you missed my point. ^^

It was mostly to say that it was hypocritical to say love talent or be there for the music but only be interested in popular idols in reality. If I do a poll for the best singer between Ailee, Rosé and Jihyo I'm almost sure that Ailee will come last.

Pls don't get me wrong i don't say they're trash, but for me they're decent/good nothing amazing we've seen better than them. I'm mainly trying to say that talent is everywhere, not just in the big company, and moreover talent is often more outside than in these company. I just try to encourage people to open their mind and discover new things.

Fair enough. I think people can only make judgments on things like talent or skill relative to how much they have been exposed to. Obviously, if you have been exposed to more groups / singers, your judgment should become more refined as to spotting those artists that truly stand out from the crowd. (That's also why music critics exist as a profession - they have to review everyone, both good and bad artists, while fans can just focus on their favourites).

However, allkpop is a fansite, not a music criticism site, so I wouldn't expect too much out of the fans here. So whenever I read things like "this person is SOOO talented!" here, I always read it with the filter of "this person is talented amongst the artists that I have been exposed to so far". It also varies generation by generation - skill levels in general have become higher as training methods of the industry as a whole become more refined and methods are passed down to subsequent idol generations. So the new-generation fans are not entirely wrong to say that the artists of this idol generation are more skilled (different from inborn talent) than earlier generations.

Exposure, of course, is the number one reason why Big4 groups become more hyped than artists from smaller agencies / companies. More people are paying attention to them, because their company has already had a track record of producing successful artists in the past. Plus, large companies can afford to sink more resources into media coverage in general to promote their artists. Indie artists, or artists from smaller companies, often rely more on live promotions (concerts, festivals, busking, etc.), which would not be as visible here on an international website outside of Korea.

Perhaps the fans are genuinely looking for talent. And, having a lack of exposure, their impressions of the first K-pop groups they encountered are already so overwhelming compared to the artists in their home country that they are satisfied with that. That's okay. That's basically a talent comparison between K-pop artists (as represented by their favourites) against the artists of their home country. Even what would be considered a middling-talented K-pop group may already more than the artists the fan had been previously exposed to. (Not to mention, the most enthusiastic of these fans tend to be younger, so it's likely that they have been exposed to less artists just because of their age... and also teens are prone to dramatic hyperbole.)

It is a good idea to encourage people to seek out more artists, to expose themselves more good music. Just keep in mind that not everyone wants to have the refined experience of a music critic - some people just like to be enthusiastic fans. And that's okay too. :-)

• It is a good idea to encourage people to seek out more artists, to expose themselves more good music. Just keep in mind that not everyone wants to have the refined experience of a music critic - some people just like to be enthusiastic fans. And that's okay too. :-)

thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Don't worry i've this in mind, and i ask anyone to be a music critic i only ask people to open their mind and be curious. I think we also have to stop hiding everything behind enthusiasm and that many fans are mostly big lazy people who are satisfied with the bare minimum. If IU or group like BTS exist today it's thanks to curious people who gave them a chance and that ... many seem to forget it.

Curiosity is part of our nature as humans and it is what allows us to learn and discover let's encourage it :pepelove1:

• I generally agree with OP. But its like that for years. Thats why i stayed out of it. Just been a casual listener to the songs i liked without care about the artists.

It changed when i found Brave Girls. They are the first artists in did not had on my bingo card. Even if they arent the best vocalists or dancers, they are sincere in their singing and dancing, not boring or predictable. i can relate to their life and lyrics.

So i watched music Shows Life for the first time. discover new artists. Lighsum-vanilla and the pampampamboys-beautiful beautiful songs became aditional hits to me.

In general im happy with what Kpop give me.

of course i sometimes wish it would be more unpredictable like it was in 2nd Gen and finding one or two other groups i could follow would also be nice.

But i also dont want to tell others Fans what they should do or not. Its a different Generation and if they are happy with what they doing and use as entertainment its all good.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!