If SNSD and 2NE1 were in 3rd gen, what do you think their numbers would be?

• I don't think that visuals would be problem for 2ne1 even today. Their looks actually never were problem and they maybe even had more popularity exactly bc of those visuals. Only haters of them or YG were bringing it, noone else. The most of West like their visuals more than typical kpop visuals. And they didn't have problem even in the Asia. As I said, their visuals were talk of haters, noone else.

• 2NE1 might be higher than SNSD since their songs are more suited for Western listeners.

On Korean charts like digital points (this was new before their era) maybe around the same?

Sometimes I wonder if Sistar who were known as digital queens back then, like how will they do if they are in this streaming era since their digitals were so huge back then

No chance. 2ne1 had better performance than SNSD during their prime. 2ne1 was the only GG to have all songs from album charting on top10

I presume you're both talking local digitals here, as in only Korean charts.

Charting well on Korean charts and streaming services is no guarantee for the same level of success or popularity internationally.

There are lots of artists that had a huge hit on Korean charts, but who didn't do as well at all outside of SK.

Sistar is 1 of those examples.

As for 2NE1, people tend to forget that 2NE1 did well, but SNSD did as well and better on a worldwide scale: SNSD's MV's performed better, and their recognition was better too.

To illustrate maybe, this is for example what google trends (collective/public interest) showed for those 2nd gen groups:

2009-2020-Top-5-2nd-gen-grps.jpg

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Dara alone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• of course snsd was more popular back then i wont deny it. During the old days, kpop isnt as big in the west. Hardly any kpop groups make some impact there.

We sre talking about hypothetically. 2ne1 does have more western appeal as compared to snsd. But snsd will still do well on Asian countries just like Twice, while 2ne1 probably will be like BP having a further reach to the west which give them edge over streaming and youtube (not so much on album)

But i do think SNSD will have more advantage over twice because they sre more versatile + they have native english speakers which are very important to crash the US market

• I think 2ne1 will fare better in the current climate. As if it's your last was originally a 2ne1 song and it did quite well. Cute gg debuts are far and inbetween these days and the number of members have reduced drastically. The female idol image has shifted from girlfriend to role model these days with girl crush concepts so I think 2ne1 would be a hit. Whereas something like oh!gg's lil touch concept would work better than snsd as a whole.

Desbundar

• Firstly, girls generations on average have around 100M views on their youtube videos, with several having more than double. This in a time that 1 billion views was a rarity. As in only 1 video succeeded (gangnam style) and this was 5 years after their debut. Around 2011-2012, youtube had 790 million active users according to their own numbers. Compare this to the 2.3 billion users reported last year. That's a 191% increase in user base. Meaning they would have a much bigger possible audience.

Additionally, spotify indicated a 1800% increase in interest towards kpop since 2014, so let's say a 2000% increase since 2012.

Now, what this indicates is that 2ne1 and snsd debuted and most actively promoted in a very different digital environment. Now if we do some calculations and apply the "inflation" rates mentioned above to Gee by snsd, we would get anywhere between 511 million and 5.3 billion streams. 2ne1 would pull even slightly higher streams. Based on this, they would be in the same league as black pink.

That's about the only comparison you can make, as you cannot be certain the concepts and songs would work today, nor what they would sound like if they debuted today.

• of course snsd was more popular back then i wont deny it. During the old days, kpop isnt as big in the west. Hardly any kpop groups make some impact there.

We sre talking about hypothetically. 2ne1 does have more western appeal as compared to snsd. But snsd will still do well on Asian countries just like Twice, while 2ne1 probably will be like BP having a further reach to the west which give them edge over streaming and youtube (not so much on album)

But i do think SNSD will have more advantage over twice because they sre more versatile + they have native english speakers which are very important to crash the US market

I agree with you, we're talking hypotheticals here, so it's basically just a mind exercise :P

When you're talking the cute/girl-next-door concept, then I agree: its success would be more centered around Asia, just like TWICE's. But in contrast with TWICE, SNSD wasn't limited to just cute/bright concepts and styles: they had other non-cute songs on a regular basis like Run Devil Run, The Boys, You Think, Hoot, Catch Me If You can and so on.

Also, let's not forget that SNSD beat all those Western artists and won the Youtube Music Awards with I Got A Boy, a song and MV that's foremostly bright (cute) and experimental.

Additionally, on a last note, both 2NE1 and SNSD haven't been active or released anything for years now, while Spotify has been growing and become more dominant as a digital music streaming medium. Yet when I check Spotify, SNSD has more monthly listeners than 2NE1 on it.

It just goes to show, since their debut, SNSD has consistently been underestimated every step of their career - and I guess even after their career as a group :D

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!