If SNSD and 2NE1 were in 3rd gen, what do you think their numbers would be?

• what kind of comparison is this ?

comparing a hypothetical situation with a hypothetical setting?

you'd probably have more luck guessing the lottery

• i think its a weird comparison since the style of 2ne1 and snsd is very different from this generation so i dont know if the case is to assume their concept in gen3 is exactly how they start, or are they going to have newer concepts that fit in the gen3, in which having more gen3-relevant concepts wouldnt gurantee them the popularity they had back in gen2 because it's the concept and style back then in gen2 that fundamentally gave them the recognition.... this is a pretty bad hypothetical dilemma.

𝙮𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙤𝙣

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlashyPleasantAmericancicada-size_restricted.gif

:pepe-toast::pepeflushed::pepe-toast:

• I think 2ne1 music will do really well since it has the teddy touch and teddy’s music is loved till this day, the members tho won’t stand a chance kpop today is more visually demanding. It’s hard to tell with Snsd their music is similar to twice in concept and then concept change but I think they’d be more popular than twice today idk.. members like Taeyeon-Tiffany - Jessica will bring in fans and interest..

So guessing just for fun it would be something like:

1. BLACKPINK: 19.7M

2. Fifth Harmony: 12.2M

3. Little Mix: 8.7M

4. Snsd: 8.6M

5. Twice: 8.2M

6. 2ne1: 5M

Your average ggs enthusiast...

• That question can be answered in several different ways, because it all depends on how it's meant.

But if the assumption would be, what if both SNSD and 2NE1 would have the same level of (international) popularity as they did in 2nd gen era, but then extrapolated to 3rd gen figures and K-pop popularity worldwide:

They'd be somewhere between 10-20M followers and monthly listeners.

After all, both groups did have the most youtube views by far of all the K-pop groups in 2nd gen era, and SNSD outpaced every other K-pop group in google trends for many years.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• i think its a weird comparison since the style of 2ne1 and snsd is very different from this generation so i dont know if the case is to assume their concept in gen3 is exactly how they start, or are they going to have newer concepts that fit in the gen3, in which having more gen3-relevant concepts wouldnt gurantee them the popularity they had back in gen2 because it's the concept and style back then in gen2 that fundamentally gave them the recognition.... this is a pretty bad hypothetical dilemma.

Hypotheticals are always dependent on multiple variables and how concrete you define its limits and explored paths.

I'm not so sure their concepts would do that worse than 2nd gen era though: 2NE1's style was swag/girl crush/badass, and that's a concept still very much loved and used in current gen K-pop and by American/Western audiences.

SNSD's style was flexible and versatile right from the start, and ranged from cute/girl-next-door (Gee) to girl crush (Run Devil Run, The Boys) to retro (Hoot) and so on. Which wouldn't be misplaced in currently used styles and concepts by K-pop groups either.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• 2NE1 might be higher than SNSD since their songs are more suited for Western listeners.

On Korean charts like digital points (this was new before their era) maybe around the same?

Sometimes I wonder if Sistar who were known as digital queens back then, like how will they do if they are in this streaming era since their digitals were so huge back then

• 2NE1 might be higher than SNSD since their songs are more suited for Western listeners.

On Korean charts like digital points (this was new before their era) maybe around the same?

Sometimes I wonder if Sistar who were known as digital queens back then, like how will they do if they are in this streaming era since their digitals were so huge back then

No chance. 2ne1 had better performance than SNSD during their prime. 2ne1 was the only GG to have all songs from album charting on top10

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!