Which artists other than BTS can sell out stadiums globally?

Taylor Swift, Coldplay and Ed Sheeran are the only ones I can think of. Even Justin finds it difficult to sell out stadiums lately in US.

I do not think Adele and Beyonce have the pull in Asia to sellout stadiums though they do in the west. Correct me if I am wrong with factual data.

Edited 3 times, last by paradis ().

• paradis

Changed the title of the thread from “Which artist other than BTS do you think can sell out stadiums globally?” to “Which artists other than BTS can sell out stadiums globally?”.
  • coldplay at a singapore stadium

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• coldplay at a singapore stadium

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yup, I have mentioned Coldplay in OP. They are touring monsters.

Taylor Swift, Coldplay and Ed Sheeran are the only ones I can think of. Even Justin finds it difficult to sell out stadiums lately in US.

I do not think Adele and Beyonce have the pull in Asia to sellout stadiums though they do in the west. Correct me if I am wrong with factual data.

Taylor ain’t selling out a stadium in Japan. Her presence on Japan’s charts are nonexistent. It’s the same for most of these western acts. They are very closed off from the Japanese market

• BTS can sell a stadium in Africa. We made UMG Africa have a backlog on proof preorders. Till now some of us are still receiving their albums they preordered in May

Also the customer care line promised to do better on the next BTS release because the demand was overwhelming. They were just planning on doing 100k orders but we proved them wrong so fast ^^

• i cant think of any...most are arena level in asia

someone from SEA region or japan would have a better idea but japan doesn't do stadiums afaik

i can see a beyonce performance in nagoya but it seems to be 10k attendance

Japan does stadiums. So far tvxq was the only group to sell out. BTS Mots7 tour I believed would have been BTS first Japan stadium date. But covid happened unfortunately

• Taylor ain’t selling out a stadium in Japan. Her presence on Japan’s charts are nonexistent. It’s the same for most of these western acts. They are very closed off from the Japanese market

She's a big name in Japan it's been more than 10 years. And she already sold out stadiums in Japan during 1989 tour, as said previously. Her presence in Asia in general is strong (China, SEA, Japan mostly).

She's bigger in Asia than she is in Europe, for example. By a considerable marge.

• Taylor ain’t selling out a stadium in Japan. Her presence on Japan’s charts are nonexistent. It’s the same for most of these western acts. They are very closed off from the Japanese market

Interesting.

ETA - read the replies above, so she can sell out in Japan

• I can think of rock bands, first of all, their touring numbers are always crazy.

Did BTS sold stadiums in continental europe?

other than that I can think of Harry Styles probably and Bruno Mars

Yes

External Content twitter.com

Harry and Bruno cannot do stadiums in US IIRC. Rock acts are popular in the west only. The only mainstream gp popular rock act in Asia is Coldplay

Edited 3 times, last by paradis ().

• Honestly I do not see Paul selling out a stadium in all of Asia either. Only see U2 and Guns and Roses selling out in let's say South Asia or SEA.

But why are you guys cherry-picking Asia? Should we also disqualify BTS for not selling out stadiums in all of Europe, South America and Oceania? Or maybe disqualify everyone for not selling out stadiums in Africa?

• But why are you guys cherry-picking Asia? Should we also disqualify BTS for not selling out stadiums in all of Europe, South America and Oceania? Or maybe disqualify everyone for not selling out stadiums in Africa?

BTS have sold out stadiums in Europe in their last tour. So how is it cherrypicking? Asia clearly is not just Japan or East Asia, it includes other heavily populated regions too like SEA and South Asia. I was just making a statement being a South Asian as to which artists seem gp relevant here to sell out.

• Globally does include Asia. BTS have sold out stadiums in Europe in their last tour. So how is it cherrypicking? Asia clearly is not just Japan, it includes other heavily populated regions too like SEA and South Asia.

And Europe isn't only UK and France. And South America isn't only São Paulo. And globally includes Oceania.

• A tour that never was, despite tickets being soldout. They had to cancel this due to covid

BTS’s 2020 North American Stadium Tour Produces Several Sellouts In First Weekend

Bryan RolliFormer Contributor

This article is more than 2 years old.

BTS Map of the Soul 2020 Tour dates sold out

South Korean boy band BTS performs onstage during the KIIS FM's iHeartRadio Jingle Ball at the Forum ... [+]AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES

BTS will embark on the Map of the Soul Tour in April, hitting stadiums across South Korea, North America, Europe and Japan. Fifteen of those dates include stadiums in the United States and Canada, marking their most ambitious North American trek to date. And lest anybody question the South Korean septet’s incredible concert draw in North America, half of those dates sold out during their first weekend on sale.

Tickets for the North American leg of the Map of the Soul Tour went on sale for the general public on Friday. As of Monday afternoon, seven of the 15 shows have sold out, including stops in Dallas, Atlanta, Toronto, Chicago; East Rutherford, New Jersey; Santa Clara, California; and Pasadena, California. (The Atlanta show has Verified Resale tickets available through Ticketmaster, but the other dates are completely sold out.) Several other dates—including Orlando, Florida and alternate nights in both Pasadena and Chicago—only have a few hundred tickets left in the nosebleed sections.

These sellouts and near-sellouts are hardly a surprise given BTS’s live track record. The pop superstars became the highest-grossing touring group of 2019, beating acts like the Rolling Stones, Metallica and KISS. They earned over $196 million and played to more than 1.6 million people across 42 shows on the Love Yourself World Tour and its Love Yourself: Speak Yourself Tour extension.

With every tour, BTS reaffirm their status as one of the top-drawing live acts in North America. Many Western pop stars struggle to pack stadiums, let alone sell them out almost immediately. BTS’s ability to do so repeatedly puts them in the same class of pop royalty as Beyoncé and Taylor Swift, as well as classic rock behemoths like Paul McCartney and Billy Joel.

BTS will release their new album, Map of the Soul: 7, on Feb. 21. With a reported 4 million global preorders and excitement growing every day, it seems like BTS are well on their way to another No. 1 album and more stadium sellouts.

I cover the music industry. New! Follow this author to stay notified about their latest stories. Got it! Follow Feb 10, 2020,07:31pm EST Listen to article2 minutes

• IMG_20220813_020523.jpg

This was supposed to be their last tour before solo era...

• I think BTS is the act that can easily do the most stops in asia in different countries, but asia does not the whole world make either so.

The unfortunate reality is that big touring acts will go where the money is, and the only country in asia that have been able to rival the west is Japan, even if its slowly changing, its still the case today.

Just looking at that planned tour list for BTS you can see even they clearly prioritize going where the money is. Theres only so many dates/stops you can do in a year after all.

• This thread contains 26 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!