Blackpink and Hite Jinro

• TL:DR

Is it better to call "Hite Jinro the most popular Alcoholic Brand in the world" or "The most popular Soju in the world"?

Both are technically correct. But since there are hardly any or few, Soju producers who aren't Koreans - it is but facile to use "The most popular Soju in the world"

Like that Girl Groups (even Boy Groups) are predominantly a Korean thing, barely a few outside K-pop,

Then rather than call BP as the "Most Popular Girl Group in the world", it is more correct to call them "Highly popular musical act in the world"

~~~~~

Someone was asserting Blackpink is the "Greatest Global Girl Group"

That title is seemingly correct, but has some complexities to it.

Like the fact, that outside of Korea, other cultures are not really into 'Girl Groups'.

Even from the largest market West, does anyone know of any major Girl Groups since Destiny's Child maybe?

Edit: Couple names are provide in the thread below, yet if you count them with the fingers of one hand.. meh

The 'Group' concept is mostly perfected by S.Korea, others have mostly bands and if they have groups, they have been of little impact.

So it is kind of like Soju - which by volume is truly the most consumed alcoholic beverage in the world.

But that title, well there is very little production of Soju by non-Koreans. Millions of people won't even know of the name 'Soju', compared to the renown of 'Beer' or 'Wine'

So when it comes to global standards, it is best not to fixate on Girl Groups, Boy Groups, Soloists etc., but just assess K-pop groups as a 'music performers' against other 'music performers'

Even so BP, BTS will definitely be in the top ranks.

So the better description for BP would be "Most popular K-pop Girl Group in the world", than a generic "Greatest Girl Group"

I might be being finicky about the description.

Like saying "Hite Jinro is the world's greatest Soju", instead of saying "Jinro is a top selling alcoholic beverage"

Another thing I think is an incorrect conflation, is to mix up non-Korean statistics when talking Korean charts.

It is very much possible to be the most famous in the world and not the most famous at home, when much of the fame comes from outside Korea.

So I wish discussions keep these categories well separated.

Korea Stats OR All States

GG against GG, BG against BG or ALL against ALL.

But often to inflate their own faves, people mix it up. Using international Stats to compensate for lack in Korea etc.,

Edited 5 times, last by bbgc ().

• Pussycat dolls, fifth harmony and little mix beg to differ.

Groups in general aren’t as dominant as before, but it’s not like BP aren’t worldwide stars. The album is one of the best selling female albums this decade, Money has over 600M streams... They have streams, sales, hits internationally and in Korea and even western media agree so your statement doesn’t apply for BP.

• Pussycat dolls, fifth harmony and little mix beg to differ.

Groups in general aren’t as dominant as before, but it’s not like BP aren’t worldwide stars. The album is one of the best selling female albums this decade, Money has over 600M streams... They have streams, sales, hits internationally and in Korea and even western media agree so your statement doesn’t apply for BP.

I forgot Pussycat Dolls, haven't they been around forever?

And as I said, the 'girl group' thing is redundant, even without it, BP will be among the topmost acts in the world.. I am not shading them at all.. just the the description can be more accurate.

Even so BP, BTS will definitely be in the top ranks.

• U have been repeating urself a couple of times now about bp in this forum but now that u made a thread specifically about it, i will have to correct u and say bp's ascent was not easy. It's not like Blackpink had a free ride globally. There were popular girl groups like Fifth harmony and Little Mix who sing in english which is much more advantageous in the past 5 years. Twice challenging them in their first four years by dominating korea and Japan. So this fixation of urs on blackpink being the only gg globally and having no competition does not look good on u.

I will say this even now blackpink would have been much bigger if yg knew how to promote them but looks like that ship has now sailed and bp is nearing the end of their first contract.

What bp has achieved is amazing and they don't have to be top group and above bts to prove their status anymore. Korea has been basically success stanning bp for the last few years after burning sun scandal. They are doing great and will definetely be appreciated much more once they finally call it quits.

• U have been repeating urself a couple of times now about bp in this forum but now that u made a thread specifically about it, i will have to correct u and say bp's ascent was not easy. It's not like Blackpink had a free ride globally. There were popular girl groups like Fifth harmony and Little Mix who sing in english which is much more advantageous in the past 5 years. Twice challenging them in their first four years by dominating korea and Japan. So this fixation of urs on blackpink being the only gg globally and having no competition does not look good on u.

I will say this even now blackpink would have been much bigger if yg knew how to promote them but looks like that ship has now sailed and bp is nearing the end of their first contract.

What bp has achieved is amazing and they don't have to be top group and above bts to prove their status anymore. Korea has been basically success stanning bp for the last few years after burning sun scandal. They are doing great and will definetely be appreciated much more once they finally call it quits.

I did it in one thread and thought it deserved to be a separate thread of its own.

Whoever said that they had a free ride or that their accomplishment are not praiseworthy.

I am just saying that 'group' as concept.. outside of Korea can be counted on fingers of one hand. So what is the point of emphasizing 'Girl Group' ?

Like saying "Jinro is the world's greatest Soju", instead of saying "Jinro is a top selling alcoholic beverage"

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• well that's just achievements made by fans lol. Like we have this, most streamed female artists.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

U can see that in award shows, there is no such thing like this when awarding daesangs so it's just nothing to fixate upon.

I think it's mostly because their target audience is not the same as boygroup. Simple as that

whatever applies in korea is the same for rest of world too. Female artists target audience is different from male artists.

And as female artists around the world, bp are one of the most streamed and it will only increase once they add 1 more album to their small discography.

Bp are Most subscribed artist on youtube.

Lisa, being in top 50 most followed instagram accounts.

Do I have to continue? They are popular and up there with other artists and celebrities and not just as a group.

I know the achievements that are made by fans always focus on girl group or group but blackpink is popular maybe even popular than western heavyweights in some parts of the world.

• bbgc

Changed the title of the thread from “Blackpink is like Soju” to “Blackpink and Hite Jinro”.
  • Is IU the biggest female soloist in SK because of lack of competition? SK acts in reversal of the world and ggs are more competitive than female soloists, outside of IU and a couple ones that hit it big during the past decade, in SK there is no competition, even Taeyeon who is 2nd place isn't a competition to IU.

• Do I have to continue? They are popular and up there with other artists and celebrities and not just as a group.

I know the achievements that are made by fans always focus on girl group or group but blackpink is popular maybe even popular than western heavyweights in some parts of the world.

You are actually making the argument for me. Thanks.

Which is that, from the global perspective " Girl group" is a redundant usage,

So calling them "Globally popular top musical act" is more accurate of their achievements.

• You are actually making the argument for me. Thanks.

Which is that, from the global perspective " Girl group" is a redundant usage,

So calling them "Globally popular top musical act" is more accurate of their achievements.

mate, whilst your argument is solid, and all the results and deductions from it are sane.

Your foundation is wrong.

This is K-pop, emphasis on the K.

In SK, they are called girl group. Yes exactly those two words. In English, not Korean.

Even when talking about a single member of a girl group.

It's a title. Not a fact.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!