Blackpink and Hite Jinro

• That's why I am saying separate the context,

If the context is K, then sure Girl Group, else just Musical Act.

• You are actually making the argument for me. Thanks.

Which is that, from the global perspective " Girl group" is a redundant usage,

So calling them "Globally popular top musical act" is more accurate of their achievements.

For the music industry it is only "group" that matters. But for everyone else, we can see that their target audiences are very different and how they impact their listeners of their music. One doesn't even need glasses to see that.

• For the music industry it is only "group" that matters. But for everyone else, we can see that their target audiences are very different and how they impact their listeners of their music. One doesn't even need glasses to see that.

Which music industry?

Which target audience?

Even with Hite Jinro being the most consumed beverage in the world, Beer is the most recognised alcoholic name and not Soju, which is a Korean thing.

Like that Girl Group, even if the words are in English, the concept is hardly understood by the world at large, hence..

• Is IU the biggest female soloist in SK because of lack of competition? SK acts in reversal of the world and ggs are more competitive than female soloists, outside of IU and a couple ones that hit it big during the past decade, in SK there is no competition, even Taeyeon who is 2nd place isn't a competition to IU.

You lost me.

This thread is about terminology in the global context.

I don't follow how IU/Soloists are relevant to the thread.

Unlike groups - bands, soloists are found across the world.

• ok before I read OP

alexS Jinro is releasing a limited edition cocktail called Kibumju, do you know if i can buy soju globally and get it shipped?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• there are a few sites that sell it. But I usually buy Soju from my local K-mart in London.

Or Amazon.

Lemme google it

only site I could find outside of SK that is official:

Online Stores | HiteJinro, World's #1 Best Selling Spirit
    Looking for online stores that carry our products? Now, you can! Browse through our site to find the right store for you. Jinro responsibly!
    hitejinroamerica.com

• As a general discussion, people are often put into boxes by using modifiers

In kpop, its often a problem for women

fans of ggs, such blinks are sorta forced to play with the gender modifier. Its a general problem not just with kpop fans.

Now lets see how this plays in the bigger picture in the world scene outside of kpop. Media will add bunch of modifiers to them, they are girls, they are a group, they are korean.

Now it never makes an exciting title to call them "one of sth", so they will add modifiers till they are the only of sth.

In this case they dropped the modifier Korean or Kpop bc it was no longer needed.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yeah its about global context but your main argument is based on not having a competition. If BP isn't the top gg because there is no competition, then we can apply the same comparison with IU since SK doesn't have powerhouses names in female soloist aside of her and Taeyeon, at least in this decade.

And If I am not wrong, there aren't either prominent female soloist names in kpop during the past decades either, Lee Hyori and BOA are likely the biggest examples, so the competition is legit not that big for IU, but IU have stats to back up her being the top female soloist, same with BP in the global context.

Also even if we can count with the fingers the ggs around the world and not with soloists, then still doesn't change that there IS a difference between being a top act and a middle act, and with that on the table the number of top female acts does decrease roughly to a similar number of ggs in the game.

Taylor, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Adele. Those are the only women who has been able to show consistency with hits during the last 2 decades, and it does support that the competition decrease, since even with new names hitting it big during these years their stats still may not be able to compete with the 4 aboves careers data.

• Soju= Shochu in Japanese (although they are slightly different).

I don't know which is the biggest shochu maker in Japan, but shochu is not the mainstream there so the biggest shochu maker in Japan would be smaller than the biggest soju maker in Korea.

But the most popular brand of soju is not even promoted by BlackPink; it is promoted by the person on the left and bottom of this post.

No one has a correct definition of a 'global girl group'. Any girl group which does a world tour, encompassing at least 3 continents, is a 'global girl group' and there are not too many to choose from now.

• Sure but IU is nowhere near the most popular artist in the world, like how Jinro is the most consumed beverage in the world.

Yet in their land of origins, both reign supreme.

There are very few 'Definitions' in the world of Kpop or even music. It is all perception.

And "Girl/Boy groups" is perceived as a Korean thing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!