RE: Is Kpop more popular than Anime and Manga?

• I guess not.
    Like the one mentioned in the post already, Anime and Manga are more popular in the search engine.

Also it is because anime and manga is easily translated into any form starting from game to a themed-cafe and even a themed-park.
    And anime/manga could be easily transformed because some of them had their character becoming the mascot (like doraemon, pokemon stuff, etc) where as in kpop, the character was a real human being, unless the idols had their own mascot too (in this case, like BTS which is really good at that).

I think by having that flexibility to be on any kind of media or platform really make it more popular or even a stronger culture because it would make it more relevant (also by having a presence on many places).

OP
  • No. Anime is way bigger than kpop by just looking at only the industries

Anime industry is worth $24B in 2019

Also unlike kpop which has just a few groups breaking mainstream, majorly being BTS, anime has several franchises that have hit mainstream. The popularity of anime in the west is not carried solely by one anime franchise, like how it is for kpop.

• No. Anime is way bigger than kpop by just looking at only the industries

Anime industry is worth $24B in 2019

Also unlike kpop which has just a few groups breaking mainstream, majorly being BTS, anime has several franchises that have hit mainstream. The popularity of anime in the west is not carried solely by one anime franchise, like how it is for kpop.

Yep, anime/manga is already becoming a strong culture. Meanwhile kpop feels like still a niche compared in music in general.

• This always gets asked and the answer is always the same. Anime >>>>> kpop. It's not even a worthwhile comparison.

Individual animes get huge streaming success, popularity across social media, integrate through memes and references outside anime like Fortnite and is pretty mainstream (Netflix has its own section, movies are influenced by them, characters like Goku, JoJo, Naruto etc are surprisingly well known outside weebs).

Kpop meanwhile has 1 or 2 groups that are getting more popular outside the niche/genre while the rest are mostly contained within their fandoms/kpop fans.

• I wonder if this is a generational thing?

I couldn't name three current anime thingies.

Probably not even one.

And neither could most people I know I think?

But I expect everyone to know who BTS are regardless of age.

• You don’t know naruto, dragon ball z or one piece at least ? You don’t need to be a manga fan to know at least one of them.

• You don’t know naruto, dragon ball z or one piece at least ? You don’t need to be a manga fan to know at least one of them.

Those aren't current :eyes: tbh that person would need to be living under a rock not to know any of the 3. I also used to watch anime sometimes and can't name a single recent one other than shingeki no kyojin

To answer thread, yeah anime is still miles ahead of kpop

Hmm.

Yes, actually.

Sort of, in that I wouldn't have been able to name them, but I recognise them.

I've heard of Naruto and One Piece (but I heard "One Piece" through this forum so...), though I have no idea what they are. I think I know what Dragon Ball Z kind of is (spiky hair dude? & There was a bad Hollywood movie based on it).

I guess you're right.

I mean, if Dragon Ball is "current" (I know it's been around since the 90s right?).

I think on a broader level, it seems to me that people on here talk about anime like it is ubiquitous, and that is not my experience at all. So is that generational? Like videogames in the late 80s/early 90s, where the reach among young people was damn near 100%, but adults would struggle to name anything outside of Mario or Sonic.

• what are we even comparing?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• You dont know Pokemon or Pikachu? These are almost impossible to not know about

Well of course I know Pokemon and Pikachu!

But Pokemon is primarily a videogame series. The anime came after. Here in the UK, Pokemon was already a minor sensation as a game before the anime even got braodcast. In fact, I think that's why they broadcast the anime, because no other anime TV show had ever been broadcast on TV before it IIRC (exception: Fist of the North Star, very late at night on a cult programming block).

I think that might be the root of it:

Anime, in the west, in the 90s, was something you would have to seek out for yourself for the most part. A few companies would localise it, and those videos would go to rental stores, and that was the only way to watch (outside of crossover films that gained a reputation outside of anime, like Studio Ghibli productions, Akira, Ghost in the Shell).

Pokemon was the big shift in that. And I think the shift might not have happened if the games hadn't been such a runaway hit.

• Well of course I know Pokemon and Pikachu!

But Pokemon is primarily a videogame series. The anime came after. Here in the UK, Pokemon was already a minor sensation as a game before the anime even got braodcast. In fact, I think that's why they broadcast the anime, because no other anime TV show had ever been broadcast on TV before it IIRC (exception: Fist of the North Star, very late at night on a cult programming block).

I think that might be the root of it:

Anime, in the west, in the 90s, was something you would have to seek out for yourself for the most part. A few companies would localise it, and those videos would go to rental stores, and that was the only way to watch (outside of crossover films that gained a reputation outside of anime, like Studio Ghibli productions, Akira, Ghost in the Shell).

Pokemon was the big shift in that. And I think the shift might not have happened if the games hadn't been such a runaway hit.

Interesting, I always assumed the anime came first because there was a lot of merch based on the anime where I live. I remember being obsessed with this as a kid

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbRJMPgG3Sx83alIRKwMmN5kKUOSQmZjpcgQ&usqp=CAU

The videogame was more of trivia knowledge, more like "oh by the way did you know there's a game of pokemon?!" but everyone here already knew about the anime. But to be fair, anime in general was always a fever here in Brazil. Many kids grew up watching Shurato, Saint Seiya, Sakura Card Captor, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Tenchi Muyo, Shaman King, Zatchbell, Beyblade, Yugioh, Digimon, Sailor Moon, etc.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Interesting, I always assumed the anime came first because there was a lot of merch based on the anime where I live. I remember being obsessed with this as a kid

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbRJMPgG3Sx83alIRKwMmN5kKUOSQmZjpcgQ&usqp=CAU

The videogame was more of trivia knowledge, more like "oh by the way did you know there's a game of pokemon?!" but everyone here already knew about the anime. But to be fair, anime in general was always a fever here in Brazil. Many kids grew up watching Shurato, Saint Seiya, Sakura Card Captor, Inuyasha, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Tenchi Muyo, Shaman King, Zatchbell, Beyblade, Yugioh, Digimon, Sailor Moon, etc.

My first exporsure to pokemon was also because of their anime series.

But to answer tenfour initial question, about is it more a generational thing or not:
    We needs more data about that, like a survey on that specific topic. Because if we are only basing it off from assumption, we can't find the exact answer.

Like, yeah it may be a generational thing, but also it could be just a simple matter of each person's preferences of media consumption.
    An Kpop idol may appear on news for those who paying attention with news,
    Several anime is going viral on tiktok or social media,
    those whose liking meme might getting more exposure on anime/manga,
    or for those who likes going to movie theaters, might see an anime movies that is on airing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!