Why there are few good rappers for gg and few good vocals for bg?

• tf ?

i dont know what groups you are into but BGs have way higher number of skilled and consistent vocalists

and im not even a big fan of BGs

they just have extremely high peaks in rapping dancing and singing and are very consistent too

i will agree though, there are exceptions to this rule

• Because most people are biased against female rappers since their ear is used to hearing male rapping, in a tradition that reaches back to the early 90s (with a few exceptions like Lizzo). And because many men don't get vocal training as a priority and don't learn to control their soft palate or arytenoid muscles to be able to sing properly. It's unusual to hear a male vocalist who can voluntarily raise his soft palate (BTS's Jimin is one, and the whole band is a good example of men who actually seem to have vocal training), but the ability is common with women, especially sopranos, because they get taught this stuff. Training men on technical singing points for some reason tends to be a lower priority for companies (I guess they focus on dancing instead?).

• Because most people are biased against female rappers since their ear is used to hearing male rapping, in a tradition that reaches back to the early 90s (with a few exceptions like Lizzo). And because many men don't get vocal training as a priority and don't learn to control their soft palate or arytenoid muscles to be able to sing properly. It's unusual to hear a male vocalist who can voluntarily raise his soft palate (BTS's Jimin is one, and the whole band is a good example of men who actually seem to have vocal training), but the ability is common with women, especially sopranos, because they get taught this stuff. Training men on technical singing points for some reason tends to be a lower priority for companies (I guess they focus on dancing instead?).

Lizoo is not a rapper...

• i am so sorry but I cant understand what you are saying except for a few words.... can you summarize what you said?

So, your soft palate is at the very back of your mouth. If you yawn, then stop in the middle of the yawn, you can feel how the back of your mouth sort of raises or arches. That's your soft palate, and you can learn to control its motion. Arching or raising your soft palate lets you produce higher sounds and makes your tones more pure, because it lets the air that's coming out of your throat sort of glide along that arch and come out more easily. Most female sopranos can do it (and many altoes can too), because it's tough to hit the really high notes without being able to voluntarily arch your soft palate. So it's a small but important muscle for vocal control and many men never learn that if they don't get a lot of training. Listen to BTS's Jin in "Fix You", that's a good example of being able to arch your soft palate to raise your voice and keep your tone pure. I can do it even when I'm not singing, because this is a skill I've practiced a LOT, but many men never practice and so never learn this technical aspect of singing well.

The arytenoid muscles are some of the muscles that control your vocal folds inside your throat. They affect how your vocal folds come together (vocal folds come together kinda like clapping very rapidly and rhythmically, and arytenoid muscles affect how fast they clap and in what directions, so they control the sound you make). You can train them, and good training can let you raise or lower your vocal tone. It can help you make it darker or lighter. Again, see Jin in "Fix You", where he hits notes that would have been impossible for him a year or two ago. That's training his arytenoid muscles to control his vocal folds well enough to produce those noises naturally. Taehyung can brighten up his tone when he wants to, or darken it, which is again, good training. A+ to their vocal coaches. Training these muscles also lets you move more easily between falsetto and a mixed chest-head voice.

I hope this explains a little more of what I meant. Ask questions if there's anything that's unclear, I'll try to clarify.

• In general, I don't think most groups, male or female, are trained to be competent rappers..let alone if the designated rapper has a real passion for it. I think most guys who listen to Rap have a bias for male rappers.

I don't know why it isn't a bigger priority for most agencies considering global trends. If not because of cutting corners, maybe it is due to the nature of Pop music not getting too deep into any genre.

• I think i understand. also are u a vocal trainer?

I'm not a vocal coach, but I directed several choirs for years, so I had to train people to sing, and I got used to explaining concepts like this so that others could better understand what was going on and how to improve their singing for the choir's sake.

• Lizoo is not a rapper...

Lizzo didn't become famous rapping, but she started out as a very unconventional one (Alt. Hip-Hop). I found out after digging through her discog back from all the songs most people know her for today. Her major debut is called "Lizzobangerz". It is listed as Hip-Hop.

• ohhh ok cuz you sounded professional lmao

also can i ask you a question about vocal training?

I was wondering about how many octaves you can add on to your range with vocal training. Does that make sense? im not sure so...

It really depends on the person and how much (and/or how) they train. I'm a natural mid-range soprano but usually sing alto in the choirs I direct because people who can sight read usually sing the harmony parts to make it easier on others. But when I'm singing and practicing every day, I can get up into coloratura soprano ranges. As an example, I can confidently do the high notes in the "Phantom of the Opera" theme, and if I'm REALLY in practice I can do "Queen of the Night" with good pitch. As soon as I stop practicing regularly (thanks, corona), my range decreases though. So I can't really give you an answer here, it depends greatly on your natural range, how much work you're willing to put into getting higher or lower, and a variety of factors including even up to what you eat/drink (lemon tea, man. I swear by my lemon/chamomile).

• I don’t really listen to boy group but in comparison bgs have more rappers than vocalists just like how ggs have more vocalists than rappers

Actually most bgs have more vocalists than rappers. Usually just two rappers, and a lead vocalist might be thrown in the fire and be asked to rap in case of an emergency.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!