They have such diverse lyrics spanning out to various themes. Often times I see “they have no deep meaning behind their songs” or “all they sing about is partying” or “their lyrics are so shallow” well homies let me tell you
No pls let me tell you bc I spent a long time on this thank you
1) who said they have to have deep meanings behind every song? If they want to sing about their looks they should be they are beautiful. If they want to sing about dancing they should be it’s fun and everyone needs to let loose sometimes. Especially in a pandemic.
2) this is not to say they don’t have any meaningful lines, by they do. I think non fans just listen to their title tracks and call it a day. Blackpink’s bsides explore common themes such as lost love, the dangerous thrill of loving someone, having fun with your gal pals, being the best b in town, etc etc.
3) my favorite is when they sing about deep things but in a subtle way. You have to really look at the content. Blackpink makes you think, we love promoting education.
Let me present you with facts.
Exhibit a: In Love To Hate Me they sing about the misconception people have of them because they are rich and pretty and how people hate on them for those reasons alone. Very sad. Tragic even.
- Kinda sad that you always been like that. See me making waves and you don't like that. (Sorry they are more successful than you)
- I'ma let you fade into the background, Baby all my shows are gettin' too loud (You do not matter to me and I do not need you, I am doing great for myself)
- I'm takin back what you've taken from me, You're mistaken honey, this something that. Remind me why I be alone, on my own. If I needed you, I'd have you that I know. I could do bad by myself, don't need help. One of a kind, the hand that I was dealt, like oh well (here Lisa talks about betrayal and how she still came out on the top bc she doesn’t need a man who can’t see her succeed
In Stay they explore the pain of a heartbreak but still not being able to let someone go (beautiful right?)
- You leave scars in my heart so easily with harsh words. Without even saying sorry, I comfort myself again (tragic)
- In your expressionless face that's getting more dull, oh-oh. I whisper to the mirror, let's slowly let this go, whoa-oh. You take me for granted, but that's you. (Here they are talking about how love starts to fade and they try to tell themselves to let that mango)
- When darkness comes sometimes, I'll be your fire. In a world of lies, the only truth is you (this is poetry ok)
Let’s have a whiplash to something completely different bc RANGE
Here is Ice Cream, a fun, subtle, sexy song meant to be nothin more than just that. Relax everyone
- Even in the sun, you know I keep it icy. You could take a lick but it's too cold to bite me (miss Jennie is too cool for you)
- Snow cone chilly, get it free like Willy. In the jeans like Billie, you be poppin like a wheelie. (For all you uncultured folks, Bemba Boom references lots of hip hop artists and movies here, like Free Willy and King MJ’s Billie Jean.)
- I know that my heart can be so cold, but I’m sweet for you (again poetry wow rupi kaur who)
- Get it flip it scoop it. Do it like that, ah yeah ah yeah.. like it love it lick. Do it like la la la oh yeah. (Here queen Jennie is saying how she likes it bc she is a strong independent woman who isn’t living in the 1600’s thank you)
Back to srs business. Hope Not is about regrets and accepting things you can’t change.
- Helplessly foolish no matter how hard I try. Cause even the seasons change so why can’t I? (They are calling themselves fools for not being able to accept that things have changed but also feeling trapped)
- They say that there’s no point in the regrets, but I know I’ll still think of you (here they begin to regret their actions in the relationship but realize there’s no point in regrets)
- For you, I’m okay with the pain. Because when I was with you, I only gave you scars. But you, the love that you deserve.. I want you to meet somebody better than me, but honestly I hope not to the point where you will forget me (let me go wipe my tears bc I don’t understand Korean but I still got emotional)
let’s do a 180 again and talk about HAVING FUN WITH YOUR GIRLS AND JUST LIVING aka forever young aka the first bside to surpass 2mil unique listeners awwww
- Let’s have no regrets when the day is gone, so that time can’t tear us apart, so that this moment can be eternal. (live life to the fullest so you have no regrets)
- We need nothing, we are the protagonists. Say, life's a bitch? But mine's a movie. Like my diamond, we'll shine together (they are making themselves the stars in the story of their lives.)
- Girls wanna have some fun.. we go dumb dumb dumb (self explanatory THEY JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN LIFE IS TOO SHORT)
anyway sometimes they like singing about how people underestimate them but just because they’re pretty doesn’t mean they aren’t talented or worthy of being acknowledged for MORE AKA PRERTY SAVAGE
- Born skinny bitch, thin no matter how much weight I gain (I actually love that they addressed this bc people bash them for dieting and being so skinny but some people are just naturally skinny AND THEY WILL NOT BE SKINNY SHAMED bc all bodies are diff)
- Slow at calculation, but fast at sense. (They said SMARTS!!)
- If you mad, stay mad.. we not alike (SHE SAID you ain’t on my level and that’s on the biggest gg in the world period)
- Drip, drip. Ice it out bust it down top to the bottom (yeah idk what miss Jennie is talking about here but it sounds so nice)
- The rain and wind blows, the higher it flies. I got nothin left to say to you. If you want, I’ll show you attitude. You already know everything (miss rosé is not having it)
thank you for your time. See you tomorrow.