MBC Fumbled 'My Teenage Girl' So Badly

• I know I'm writing about a show that ended months ago and barely anyone watched so I'm sure this thread will flop but I gotta get these thoughts off the top of my head.

My Teenage Girl had the most talented contestants and the best performances out of any survival show I've ever watched. The level of performance and stage presence shown by many girls from nugu companies or who have never trained as a idol before is astonishing

Yet the show failed to gain traction comparable to that of produce of gp999 series and the resulting group is---to put it frankly---a mess.

So, what went wrong? is what this thread attempts to answer:

#1 Survival show over saturation: with gp999 just ending (and even that failed to reach the heights of former produce shows), the public is fatigued from survival shows. In a way this show, and sadly the trainees were doomed from the start.

#2 The freshmen class: I'm not gonna comment on the ethics of 11-14 year olds in kpop, however the controversy over the ages of the youngest contestants, and the show's name being "my teenage girl" which--undeniably--sounds creepy, really damaged the show.

regardless of the ethics, the child trainees really stick out like sore thumbs during both the show and the debut group, they are just too young to be performing with grown women, I mean look at this:

Yet the freshmen actually won this challenge against the seniors, which is the crux of the problem, people kept voting for the freshman members, and the show really wanted the debut group to have 2 freshmen, 1 sophomore, 2 juniors, and 2 seniors, which just takes away spots from more deserving trainees in the older grades

#3 They tried way too hard to re-invent the wheel: This shows voting and elimination system was freaking confusing. It's too complex to explain here but if you watched the show you get what I mean. Instead of just doing things straightforwardly: which ever trainees get the most votes debut (which is how survival shows should work), the show tried too hard to have a grade system and force younger members that nobody wanted.

The end result is a group with 0 synergy.

two 14 year old "freshmen", two "sophmores" a 14 year old and a 15 year old, 0 juniors (even tho the debut group was supposed to have 2 juniors and 1 sophmore, the show just ignored that in the finale lol, even tho the junior grade had some of the most talented and popular trainees), and three "seniors", two 18 year olds and a 20 year old

新人ガールズグループ「CLASS:y」、抜きんでたライブの実力が話題 -1- 韓国音楽(k-pop)

This is no hate to the girls that made it into the debut line up, all of them are talented, I just think the debut lineup could've picked members with more synergy and I think the younger members should've remained trainees and given more time to mature

• i really hated how young the girls in the group are fr, but honestly their debut song was really good

• Sometimes it's better to rig, or just have the producers do the choosing and throw in some audience votes to boost some of the standouts.

I didn't really watch the show for the reasons you named but I did follow along to some of it, but from what I saw in my opinion Choi Soobin, Manami, and Yooyeon should have debuted instead of Riwon. There are two other girls I would have switched too along with Riwon, but I don't know their names.

They should have held off for at least another year or two and then started the show.

• the korean translation is "after school excitement", which makes more sense and is less creepy but it's very weird overall, also, why tf are there no juniors? they got robbed.

ikr, it's especially sinful they didn't debut junior Hyunhee when she was the most popular contestant from the start and basically promised debut until the last episode when the producers pulled the rug out from under her for a twist i guess? The last episode is really so random, they basically ignored the rankings of the whole show a picked contestants that did well in the last few episodes like Hyeju or random contestants like Riwon

• ikr, it's especially sinful they didn't debut junior Hyunhee when she was the most popular contestant from the start and basically promised debut until the last episode when the producers pulled the rug out from under her for a twist i guess? The last episode is really so random, they basically ignored the rankings of the whole show a picked contestants that did well in the last few episodes like Hyeju or random contestants like Riwon

when that happens it reminds me why i do not watch survival shows for the sake of my sanity.

• MBC was dumb for this... they could've secured their spot among 4th gen ggs. It should have been juniors and seniors as one group, followed by freshmen and sophomores. Two groups should have debuted from this with different concepts (one more cutesy/hi teen and the other girl crush/elegant/mature). And the seniors should have been promoted as "ready to debut" instead of as "last chance."

They could've even run the show for two seasons, with the first showing the junior and senior girls ready to debut and the following season showing the remaining seniors and juniors. It could've been an annual thing. And they should've done a trainee reality show with the freshmen and sophomore girls that followed them until their debut.

Instead we got that mess lol

• I did not care for this show or group because:

1- title is indeed creepy, as mentioned here already

2- too young contestants and too young members. Over half of the members 15 or under? Huge pass from me.

also the performance you linked. that hurt my ears. was this considered a bad performance by the show's standards or were all of them somewhat like that? because if yes, we have another reason why nobody cared about this

• The performances were amazing, there were many many talented girls but the group itself isnt cohesive, they lack chemistry and their debut song and mv do not stand out at all..i watched the show from ep1 and as the show kept going it was just a damn disappointment.

On one hand i guess Hyunhee and Jieun not debuting isnt that bad since they're not bound by a 7 year contract in a group like this..

• no they did and I also think the weird voting system caused them to loose some members that were getting really popular like inhye. nit the mention that girl that was popular for her visuals that didn't make it. I can't remember her name but they should've done whatever it took to get her in just for the fanbase that she would bring.

the weird thing is that I think there was some manipulation going on. like the members who debuted whee clearly being pushed since the beginning if you just watch the same same different video. yet I don't think all of those members were ever that popular.

in my opinion the youngest shouldn't have debuted and the dancer from 4th grade shouldn't have either they weren't popular. also the cute looking one from 2nd grade.

and the budget of the mv is so bad like where did all the money go???

I don't remember their names.

• I wont forgive them for the fact that Mihee didnt make it! And Inhye! ;(

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!