Posts by pchromo4

isn't considered by what rule? LMAO.

it's not any hard rule - just what i've noticed from past remake songs. IU's "meaning of you" was one of the biggest hits of 2014 but it wasn't seriously up for SOTY (even tho it was nominated) because it was a remake.

unless you can find a single remake song in history that's won SOTY....

it's similar to the unspoken rule that collabs and features don't really win SOTYs either. I think the only exception was "boy with love" but the feature wasn't with a korean artist. You're also welcome to try to find any collab songs that won SOTY. these are just my observations as someone who's followed kpop since 2010.

I just think that Celebrity ULs dropped too much after the first day and that her Gaon digital isn't that stable like Next Level and Dynamite. Maybe Celebrity and LILAC is still considered a hit, but I do not have the feeling that they are super hit songs like Dynamite, Next Level, Any Song, etc...)

"Celebrity" is going to end up as the #1 song on Gaon's annual digital chart at the end of the year. Imagine saying the number 1 song of the year (other gaon number 1 songs: Any Song, Love Scenario, Cheer Up, etc) isn't a hit ^^

If Celebrity isn't a hit then I guess there's nothing worth celebrating with Next Level surpassing it on certain charts :-P

Next Level is a bop but I doubt itll be a serious contender for any SOTY - typically remake songs aren't considered.

Actually Rollin will probably overtake Lilac this week and cement its Yearly #1 status.

IU's failure to strangle Brave Girls shows her weakness

I'll give you a tip. Melon annual charts tend to mirror Gaon annual charts very closely at year-end. Currently on Gaon "Celebrity" has 346,533,707 digital points for 2021 and "Rollin" has 180,107,600 digital points. You can follow along every week to check the gap. ;-)

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Before Eight I don't think I'd ever seen a IU video trend on Youtube in the UK, since then pretty much all her MV's have. Her spotify numbers are bigger. She feels much bigger than Taeyeon worldwide nowadays.

Her international growth really blew up starting in 2019 with Hotel del luna - her instagram followers and youtube subscribers grew like crazy after that drama started airing in SEA/other parts of Asia. Within 1 year she passed Suzy and Taeyeon on social media and still has crazy growth.

like i said she was popular and i know good day was her hit song

Good day spent 5 weeks at n1 on Gaon digital

but what i mean is even if she was really popular

it's not until 2014 that she really become this monstruous digital artist

who have songs charting directly at No1 and staying number 1 weeks and weeks

Last Fantasy is the most digitally downloaded album in Gaon history and she's been getting PAKs every year since 2010 (except for 2016 when she didn't release any songs). But I agree that 2014 was the start of her 2nd career peak and it marked a transition in her career where she switched from being a popular trendy idol (2010-2013) to established powerhouse (2014 to now).

WhyKnock Weren't you crying weeks ago about how "Lilac" would be the beginning of IU's Korean decline

Meanwhile, "Lilac" has 265 PAKs so far and it's still sitting on top of the charts after 3 weeks :cryingr:

I don't remember IU being such a big deal during 2nd gen even if she was popular

i remember seing her on the show heroes when she was still a baby singing marshmallow

I feel like her career really flowerish since 2014

Did you miss "Good Day" in 2010 and "You & I" in 2011? "You &I" is still the most downloaded song in Gaon history, I believe, and "Good Day" was routinely named one of the songs of the decade for the 2010s.

Her entire career is full of irony, but the biggest irony is while other acts sweated and suffered in the overseas when KPop was growing she sat comfortably in Seoul to build her base

She flew to China every weekend for 8 weeks in 2016 to hold fanmeets and mini-concerts lol, how else do you think she managed to build such a robust Chinese fanbase.

"Lilac" has been on the top of the charts for 3 weeks, it accumulated 265 PAKs, is second only to "Celebrity" for hours spent at #1 on Melon for 2021 (and still counting), and IU swept the music shows for the weeks after her comeback, despite only promoting for 1 week. "Lilac" looks like it'll top the monthly charts for Gaon and Melon too. WhyKnock another poor prediction?

I think I’m looking at the overall album

Charting? I don’t know anymore ;(

B4A5A399-E95A-431C-9BE8-A83A14DBF4FD.jpg

5EAEC79C-E436-4899-97F2-98D639C4B76B.jpg

Ah yea they must be talking about the Gaon Album Chart which is physical sales.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Of course it's always possible for soloists to rise with further comebacks and songs but the initial debut hype is pretty important to set the standard for the solo debut and part of that is on SM for not doing more.

She did well tbh, her first peaked at 2 but she does better now. She done well, but she's also improved in consistency and has gained a bigger fanbase, it all takes time.

:sweatr1:

Not many people start at the top like teayeon, example IU. It took her awhile to Get as big as she is now, it's not impossible for any idol, so long as they're consistent and make good music.

what are you talking about? "I" was number 1 on the charts and one of Taeyeon's best digitally performing songs. If anything, her consistency has been a lot more erratic in the last 2 years (hasn't really had a hit since "four seasons" and even before that there were up and downs like "fine" vs "something new"). Her album sales have also stayed relatively stable over the last 5 years - she sold over 100k for her first mini-album and sold a similar number for her most recent mini album (her full albums sell better by about ~50k).

It took IU 2 years to get big (she debuted Sept 2008 with abysmal digital/physical sales, "Good Day" came out Dec 2010 and that mini sold over 90k) but you can't compare at all because IU didn't start in a group - when she debuted as a solo, she started at 0, with zero recognition, fans, hype, or reputation.

The main problem with Wendy is lack of promotion and hype. Has she been on a single radio or promotional show at all? Did SM just release her album and then peace out?

Also those 3rd Gen groups that I mentioned are up for contract renewals soon (or are already in discussion like Mamamoo) , so those new groups are meant to fill in the hole that the 3rd Gen might leave if contract negotiations don't go the way the companies want to and then disband the group.

I agree with the concept but that means gens should be around 7-8 years apart because a standard kpop contract is 7 years. And that's what we saw with earlier gens.

1st gen - 1998 - 2005/6

2nd gen - 2005/6 - 2012/3

3rd gen - 2012/3 - 2020ish

it makes no sense to say 4th gen started in 2017/2018 because then why did 3rd gen only get 5 years when precious gens got 7-8 years?

IMO 2019/2020 should minimum be start of 4th gen, if there is a 4th gen.

1. You can be a casual fan of a song but that doesn't mean you're a casual fan of the artist. Just because I put a song from someone on my playlist does not mean I'm interested in listening to their other songs or even listening to their next new release. Or do you not differentiate between the fan of a song vs fan of the artist?

2. You can't compare streaming ULs to general population - it's about sample size. Not all 50 million people in SK use subscription music services. IU has the highest ULs (800k+) of any artist on the biggest streaming service - by your definition, there would be NO celebrities with widespread support. It's like saying just because Yoo Jaesuk's TV show pulls in 4-6% ratings (meaning 4-6% of the general population), then he doesn't have widespread GP support. That's just not true.