Posts by 3-percenter

Oppar and Koreans living in S. Korea:

Can you tell me the difference in the news networks? (Who watches them, their demographics, target audience and so forth)

Google translating the Korean comments under the YouTube news feeds for the press conference (about 100 each for each channel, but there were sometimes 10s of thousands more that didn't have time to see), that were submitted within a few hours of the conference,

JTBC has 100% approval comments for Min Heejin

SBS had 60% negative, but a rebroadcast video had 80% positive a few hours later

YTN had 100% negative (no support; thought she was a disloyal employee)

MBC News comments were all neutral sounding, but didn't believe she was cunning enough to try a take over

A channel that translated into English as "Checkpoint Issue" was 100% supportive, but thought it was hilarious and wanted to see the Korean SNL skits that would come next week

I'm just curious if these channels have a particular kind of audience or age that would influence the response to her.

Fellow GenX er here as well. Your history is so close to my own experience omg. I LOVED the 80s in terms of music, it was the peak of Western music tbh, nothing will ever come close at least in our lifetimes ;( . OMD, Pet Shop Boys, The Cure, Bobby Brown, NWA, Journey, Poison, Bon Jovi, GunsnRoses, Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, Whitney, i mean i could list literally 100 names that released legendary songs during this era.

Like you i lost interest in US music in the 2000's, little by little, after Grunge killed real rocknroll in the 90s, everything just homogenized into one boring hip hop/RnB track after another.

There were some outliers of course, Taylor Swift, The Killers, and of course the entire EDM era with Pitbull, DJ Sammy, and the like, it was the last time i was truly invested in local pop. When Old Town Road came out and blew up local pop and ushered in the mumble rap/trap high hat era, i knew i was done for good. Like i loved that old TI song "Whatever You Like" as much as the next fella, but everything turned into low fi, chanting, super simple songs with the same incessant trap high hat and percussion....just too much.

Yup. I tuned in via the internet to an L.A. radio station to hear a live Blackpink interview, during the Kill This Love comeback, and had to listen to terrestrial pop radio for the first time in maybe 15 years while waiting, and between segments. I was absolutely shocked by how bad it was. This would have been around the day the Old Town Road remix with Billy Ray Cyrus was released and which they played. If I ever have to get another car they can omit the FM radio.

I feel all of your groups but was already done by the Pitbull era. I think I was listening mainly to soundtracks or classical music from my itunes library. I found Kpop in the weirdest way: wanting to hear the communist anthem "l'internationale" led (all via YouTube) to mainland Chinese Mandopop singer (and Commie) Jike Junyi, then Ailee, then Blackpink, then other girl groups I like today. It's so stupid how excited I can get for comebacks of groups I like. They're events, the way a Star Wars or Spielberg movie premier used to be. Kpop has a weird magic.

ipod nano omg.

Yeah, i obviously love my hair metal but the beats in those songs dont really seem conducive for Kpop style choreo. Maybe just the legendary synthesizer riff will be sampled as part of a whole new song.

I should have said Sony Walkman...that's 80s.

Yeah, they have to just be sampling the beginning of Final Countdown, and maybe make some themes like Ive did with "After Like."

I love hair metal. You get a lot of crap from these AKP children about being a 'boomer.' Well, I'm a Generation Xer, not a boomer, and they don't know what they missed in terms of variety in music. I stopped listening to music altogether in the 2000's because American pop sucked so bad, and always liked synth driven 'Euro' sounding songs. I got into Kpop when I heard "As If It's Your Last" in 2017 and heard the synth backgrounds and little callbacks that reminded me of 80's groups like A-Ha and The Pet Shop Boys. There's also just a little bit of something like the Shiny Toy Guns "Le Disko" (which is from a lot later, I guess). Besides Teddy, RT, 24 and his other Blacklabel producers are said to be club DJ's, so they bring that ability to sample and make dance beats and build anticipation in their drops. I'm looking forward to this new Rosé song.

Also,

I'm older than you are, so I understand...but it's crazy! This song...I mean it has a great driving beat, and I actually looked in up on YouTube a week or so ago because I wanted to hear it for some reason....but how did it come up to be considered? Was Teddy listening to his IPod Nano?

Successful CEO types are all the same lol. Even LSM had to be practically dragged out of SM by his hair, dude was deadset on remaining in power till his last breath. Being the top alpha dogs in cutthroat industries breeds this it seems like, they just dont know when to bow out gracefully.

Agreed. Also, I don't know how you feel about Form of Therapy on YouTube, but when he was watching the Babymonster evaluation/fake competition shows last year, he suggested that if YHS wanted to do something really different with this girl group, because they are different from his previous girl groups, YHS should embed himself in their promotion: not just produce them personally but promote them personally, to the level Colonel Tom Parker did with Elvis.

I don't think Form of Therapy has any special insight into what YHS was going to do, but as a long time YG stan and Kpop follower that was an idea that came to him that seemed logical and that seems to be happening.

Let's see how the album does in S. Korea vs. internationally. YHS can greese the skids with some industry types to help Babymonster promotions and show wins, but the Korean public and international fans will decide if they can get past him to like the song if he over plays his involvement.

Wow, personalized autographs from Jisoo. Those are lucky fans.

Jisoo's fashion and makeup were really good this year. She's so confident now at these events.

Rosé looked really good. Those glasses worked as accessories. I wanted her to take them off inside...take them off! But her not doing so made them draw me to her face. They bothered me but were cool at the same time.

Jennie's appearance on Apartment 404 is a hit. I keep translating comments from Koreans on the teasers and show samples. All the ones I've seen are positive and are excited she's back in variety shows. They think she's "a cute little bear."

Also, her Jennierubyjane channel on YouTube has a new vlog of her in her agency office, watching the first episode with friends. She has a fully staffed agency....its interesting to see.

I always liked Limca (the Pennywise clown).

They defended Blackpink.

They were oddly witty.

They didn't give an F about what people thought about them but could defend themselves against responses.

They had a weird Yoda-like diction ("Clown not like_______. Clown want more ___________. Waiting for _________clown is.....").

Their subtle insults had a kind of Zen authority.

The plastics getting banned did kill momentum but in my opinion the blink activity fell hard when monalisalove got banned there were some misunderstandings among staff at the time and it ended pretty poorly but believe me I did my best to keep blinks happy when I had power I just wasn't able to do much.

Losing kitty was a big blow, and the rest kinda just became barely active. The staff don't capitalise on the power of blackpink and their fandom enough. I don't blame the blinks for getting up and leaving.

Yeah, I don't know any of the behind the scenes mechanics of bannings (like the messages that get exchanged between everyone involved), I just know one day people are gone and their energy is missed. Monalisalove was so passionate that she was a real leader for Blinks.

There's a real balance here of passion/trolling/hate/advocacy/ being a booster for your group but not going over the line that I sometimes have trouble "getting." I was asked to join the Blink Guild but always thought I would eventually twist off and attack some long time anti-Blink drive-by hater and would get banned and be one more Blink that gave the fandom a bad name, so I stayed out. In the meantime, most if not all of the nice ones I knew (who were kids in their teens) just found a friendlier harbor, I guess.

I doubt anything will be possible for next one year. Jisoo already doing 2 acting projects. Jennie seems like she is determined to drop the album this year and is preparing :eyes:

No news about rosé and lisa. Rosé maybe signing her new contract. Lisa is speculated to have shot for some show? And many rumors about her launching a makeup line from long time

A strong rumor is that Lisa might be on the Walking Dead being filmed in France....maybe? I get all my news from YouTubers who report Blackpink news. A lot of it is straight out wrong, but I don't use any social media, so that's kind of what there is right now.....

The guild died when the most active Blink fighters/defenders were banned for "not being nice people," some of it justified from what little we know about the Plastics, but not for a lot of the later ones. The other people stopped posting when it no longer earned akorns.

I hope Blackpink will come back. It feels like they might want to, but it will get harder mentally as time goes on and solo stuff becomes more important. They're all (especially YGE) leaving money on the table if they don't...but it may be a long time.

Some of us will still be here.

Isn't she Roseanne Park?

Yes, that's her English name. Her Korean name is Park Chaeyoung. And she's Rosé. I think her members call her Rosie or Chae. I just wanted to put "MBE" mostly! In your poll, I think I'll vote for Son Chaeyoung. She and Rosé had a cute interaction at an award ceremony probably in 2018 that I always think of (Twice Chaeyoung held her hand up to her ear and mouthed 'call me' to Rosé. I hope they're still friends).

I cringe every time it starts. I really did LIKE this song until that final chorus. It's almost camp and ruins the entire vibe of the song.

I'm not sure if Ahyeon being present would have made the song better/saved the song/made it the event a lot of people were anticipating, but I think Ahyeon being present would have made the song better/saved the song/made the song the event a lot of people were anticipating. Her parts had to be redestributed and resung, the choreography had to be redone to fill her parts, and all the promotional materials had to be reshot and re-edited, etc. I'm sure that threw everyone involved in production off. There's just something missing in the song and video, and her impact might be it. I think her performance would have concealed some of the shortcomings of the song structure, maybe not enough to convert some people, but enough to get a better response.

From Gert's Royals on X:

K-Pop band BLACKPINK members were invested Members of the Order of the British Empire by King Charles today in recognition of the band’s role as #COP26 Advocates for the COP26 Summit in Glasgow 2021.

Roseanne Park (Rosé) is a Commonwealth Citizen with duel New Zealand Citizenship, so she receives the full honor. The others are honorary members, as is done with foreign citizens.

Wikipedia: The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire is a British order of chivalry, rewarding contributions to the arts and sciences, work with charitable and welfare organisations, and public service outside the civil service. It was established on 4 June 1917 by King George V and comprises five classes across both civil and military divisions, the most senior two of which make the recipient either a knight if male or dame if female. (Blackpink did not receive the one of the most senior two.)

Later, the Blackpink members names will appear here:

That's cool. Thanks for answering. Rosé has had crazy diplomatic activity lately. She went to the Asian summit thing down the road from me in San Francisco with S. Korea's first lady a few days ago to talk about mental health, and now with the President of S. Korea to this. One of the posts here says Blackpink was officially invited by the British government so maybe they went in South Korea's Air Force One.....