Posts by natnut

Here are my thoughts on the matter of Weeekly's supposed concept change :

Concept doesn't matter. Only Quality and Execution does.

I feel there's this wrong/disturbing recent tendency to associate the concept of a song with the quality of a song. There are bad girlcrush songs and there are good girlcrush songs. Just like there are good cute songs and bad cute songs.

Being "Girlcrush" or "Cute" doesn't confer any moral or artistic superiority and stanning or unstanning a group based on the concept that they stick with or departs from seems premature. There is no inherent superiority in a concept, only how well executed and how well matched it is to the group performing it.

After School and Tag Me were successes not because they were Cute or Teen Crush or K-High Teen but because they were well written and well performed songs and their MVs were well directed, produced and edited.

I thought the strength and unique attraction of Kpop was that groups could be chameleons and take on different concepts over time AND as long as the end-product, the songs and MVs were good, no one cared about conceptual purity.

Eg T-ARA, Girls Generation and Apink all had different concepts at different times of their careers yet no one denies these groups are Kpop Legends.

So why are we holding the 4th Gen Girl groups to such a different standard : Concept Purity? And basically crucify them if they so much as glance at a different direction in their music and art direction??

I'm a Daileee because of the girls, their personalities, their visuals and their chemistry together, AND because their songs are bops. As long as those things don't change, I'm along for the ride and will follow along wherever their artistic journey takes them, Cute, GirlCrush, Death metal, whatever....

I'd like to repeat what Lee Soojin, Weeekly's Leader posted when Jiyoon went on her first hiatus for anxiety issues:

"...there is nothing more important than Jiyoon’s health. Jiyoon must be healthy for Weeekly to be healthy”

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Example - Everglow and weeekly had successful song on yt and spotify but that didn't help them much in the end. No momentum was gained either. Tho Everglow was doing well on spotify and youtube till ladida but a huge decline in these platforms since then especially spotify. Weeekly spotify and youtube career ended with afterschool unless they recover. Album sales also not that great.

Stayc on the other hand keeps on gaining fans and having better growth. Korean popularity giving them more opportunity in hime country + international fans also checking them out because of it. Good charting has always attracted international stans. They still don't have songs as big as the other two on those platforms but they are showing much more growth.

I remember some people saying the same thing when i made a thread on weeekly amd how afterschool had barely any effect on them in the long run

Weeekly sold 130,000 albums since their debut and their latest Holiday Party sold almost 50k. They've been posting ever increasing album sales with each comeback. Holiday Party in fact sold more than We Play, the album which birthed After School.

Compared to the other non-Produce related, non-Big 4, 4th generation girl groups, who came out around the same time 2020-2022, only STAYC is posting better album sales.

It's a fallacy to assume their fandom growth experienced a sudden dip post After School. If anything, they've been experiencing an upward growth trajectory, with their massive success with After School being an outlier.

After School was a freak occurrence, but it masked their slow and steady progression in fanbase size and album sales.

Weeekly is my ult group so I'd think I'd know them well enough to say confidently they wouldn't release such a song.

Even if they did, they'd somehow make it work and sound better, such is their talent level : Shin Jiyoon would re-arrange the song so that it'd flow better and Weeekly's harmonies are some of the best of the 4th GG. Plus : you'd have Walking Vocal Cheat Code Monday and owner of one of the most soulful vocal color, Lead Singer Soeun, High Note Queen Jihan making sure the song sounded legit.

Weeekly???? Girl Crush???

OP clearly knows nothing about Weeekly : Tag Me, Zig Zag, After School, Holiday Party, these are obviously High Teen, Cute concepts.

Weeekly would easily slay any Girl Crush concept though and they look to go more serious and elegant going by their Prologue Film for their 7 March Comeback, Play Game Awake :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Weeekly being the Eternals of Kpop is the best story twist reveal I never knew I needed until now.

Joking aside, Weeekly always had the space-planetary concept since debut, it was just always in the background and not in your face, but hinted at in easter eggs in the MVs :

I like that it can make you fascinated, that it can enhance the feelings you feel while watching the mv/story but I can't for the life of me decipher all the meanings, I rely a lot on those who can haha

Here's a short explanation of the lore :

External Content twitter.com

Who is Weeekly? 7 girls who represent each day of the week and the guardian of each celestial object.

Soojin - Sunday - Sun

Monday - Monday - Moon

Jihan - Tuesday - Mars

Jiyoon - Wednesday - Mercury

Soeun - Thursday - Jupiter

Zoa - Friday - Venus

Jaehee - Saturday - Saturn

With some chaos occurring on Earth, the goddesses of the universe enter a portal to save it.

However heading through the dark portal, their memories are wiped clean. Soojin, the goddess of the sun is the only one who remembers.

With the ‘energy of LOVE’ they become one again.

Their story is far from complete.

I’m beyond ready for another 2016 era twice gg to debut like at this point girlcrush is boring. yg is still draining all of the lifeforce out of bp and I don’t trust them to give me a proper cute gg, sm chose aespa (derogatory) and it doesn’t even make sense that jyp is debuting ANOTHER girlcrush gg so close after itzy smh

Weeekly could probably do early Twice in their sleep. I'm mystified why their agency hasn't paired them up with Heart Shaker 2.0 for their latest comebacks :

Also the masterpiece that is After School exists :

But I would be equally happy if Weeekly went the early Twice route as well - it's still age appropriate and non-pandering. Tbh Weeekly are so capable, they could probably make any concept work for themselves :

Maybe even something pop-rock :

I get the feeling Weeekly may go a happy middle ground in their next comeback. These were literally their most recent vocal covers :