Is K-pop still K-pop if most of them starts singing English, Japanese, Spanish and other languages ?

• It's common knowledge when K-pop groups sing in Japanese they market to Japanese audience only.

Most K-pop songs that are market for everyone seems to have many English or sometimes Spanish mixed in. What if Korean language becomes minority in K-pop ?

Edit: I'm talking about songs from 2020 to 2022+ present all have some English. Ever since BTS sang it's songs in English , Blackpink and Twice did the same. NCT 127 was the first one in 2018.

• Kpop songs had tons of English in them way before 2020, it is seen as cool in Korea.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Kpop songs had tons of English in them way before 2020, it is seen as cool in Korea.

But what makes Kpop Korean than if even their language is becoming more and more non-Korean ? Their accent and their style ?

Of course I disagree saying K-pop is American music because K-pop also have many Arabic, Indian influence aswell as Latin and Japanese influences. K-pop has it's own unique sounding but the only Korean influence I see is when they do their MV in Korean culture and and maybe some Korean instrument.

• eventually kpop will die down in english speaking countries and so will the amount of english used in kpop songs

:wellr:

it's trendy right now so it makes sense to try to appeal internationally while it still is by doing fully english songs. kpop groups have always done japanese songs or versions, some have done chinese versions like t-ara. wherever the money is it makes sense

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

• I think what makes kpop “kpop” is that it’s geared towards Korean taste, in that it’s mostly in Korean and the music/vibe/aesthetic fits Korean sensibility. When groups put out music solely in English, I’m assuming they’re trying to break into the Western music market (same with Japanese) and it’s no longer considered kpop but generic pop.

• it's funny that people call songs written, composed, and produced by westerners and sung in English kpop.

Many American and western songs were also written, composed, produced by Koreans, japanese, Chinese, Indiann, Pakistani, Africans, Arabs, Egyptians born from overseas.

Including music video director

Joseph Jun-hee Kahn (born Ahn Jun-hee, Korean: 안준희; October 12, 1972) is a South Korean-American film and music video director. Kahn has worked with various artists such as Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Eminem, Backstreet Boys, Jennifer Lopez, Lady Gaga, Kylie Minogue, Sun Ho, Samantha Mumba, Shakira, Aaliyah, Dr

• Its too soon to call kpop a consolidated music genre but I'd say its alright if it has foreign language elements.

One anecdote for Tattoo, however, when I played it in a car ride, my sister half way through asked if it was made in korea (it did not have even one word of korean) so there might be some characteristics of kpop that show up in music elements.

• Many American and western songs were also written, composed, produced by Koreans, japanese, Chinese, Indiann, Pakistani, Africans, Arabs, Egyptians born from overseas.

Including music video director

Joseph Jun-hee Kahn (born Ahn Jun-hee, Korean: 안준희; October 12, 1972) is a South Korean-American film and music video director. Kahn has worked with various artists such as Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Eminem, Backstreet Boys, Jennifer Lopez, Lady Gaga, Kylie Minogue, Sun Ho, Samantha Mumba, Shakira, Aaliyah, Dr

Well American artists aren't labelling their songs as American Pop

• Uhmm…. Yes

Kpop groups going to other countries or making music that fits that demographic doesn’t invalidate the fact that it’s still a Kpop group

They’ve at the very least been going to Japan since 1st Gen, let alone how it risen to Chinese & English since

But again…. Still a Kpop group. They come from a Kpop company, have the Korean idol concept, and still sing in Korean 80-90% of the time

And throwing in some English in their music doesn’t mean it’s not Kpop, especially when if anything it makes it unique compared to other non-English song genres with how much more frequently they put it in there

• it's funny that people call songs written, composed, and produced by westerners and sung in English kpop.

So if a Hip Hop artist makes a song for a Pop artist, is it a Hip Hop song now?

That logic made no sense lmfao

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!