T.O.P. starting his own wine? :o

Moved the thread from forum The Lounge to forum K-POP.
  • I know T.O.P has owned a vineyard for a few years.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• omg i just read the news on allkpop home, and yg stated its not goodbye too

:froghype::froghype::froghype::froghype::froghype::froghype::froghype::froghype:

Yes, I think this is being severely misunderstood. T.O.P isn't leaving BIGBANG, he's leaving YG management. That's why his letter addressed the YG staff and not his members.

I think Kpop fans forget that labels in Korea are more than just music labels. They manage all aspects of their artist's careers...endorsements, appearances, acting roles (eg BLACKPINK's Jisoo or iKON's Chanwoo) all goes through YG.

It's not like in the US. Interscope has nothing to do with Lady Gaga's acting roles, Def Jam has nothing to do with Rihanna's clothing line. They are truly just music labels.

T.O.P's arrangement with YG is much more American in that sense. He's free to do his own thing outside of BIGBANG. That's why you saw he immediately announced this wine business. He also has a lot of interest in the art world and has curated art shows before. I think he'll have a business related to that.

In fact, this may start a conversation in the Kpop industry, where labels will start truly being music labels, instead of managing all aspects of a career.

Kpop "managers" aren't managers or agents like you see in the US. They're just employees of the label.

It's sort of like Hollywood in the old days. Actors signed to film studios (ie Paramount) and they were contractually obligated to appear in only that film studio's movies.

Now actors are freelance. They can appear in Paramount, Disney or whatever.

So he'll have a lot of freedom to do his own thing. People need to pay attention to the "EXCLUSIVE" part to "ending his exclusive contract." He still has a contract with YG for BIGBANG activities. Because he'll obviously need to get paid.

Also of note...YG LET T.O.P out of his contract. All 4 of them renewed in late 2020 or early 2021. He still had years left on his contract. They could have held him to that but YG let him out of it. Which shows the respect and fondness YG has for T.O.P.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!