pretty sure i just changed the trajectory of my whole life

• my entire life i wanted to go into dermatology, but my parents (both doctors) smartly advised against it because of my lack of physical stamina and the fact i probably won't survive med school. so i settled for psych/criminal justice.

recently i came to a lot of epiphanies, and one of them was that i cannot go through life wondering what would happen if i hadn't taken this path and done derm instead.

well today i talked to my parents and we agreed that i should, in fact, go into derm as a nurse.

i feel scared knowing that it'll be hard work, and that i won't be supported by the government. but at the same time i don't care.

now that i've finally signed up for the correct classes, i feel scared. and i'm second guessing myself. do i want an easy desk job or do i want to use my dermatological knowledge for good?

also i don't get my bragging rights of graduating college at 19 anymore, but i mean hey i'll end up with two bachelors degrees.

someone tell me i made the right decision here, because deep down this is what i love.

• selfmate you're profound, i'm sure you have something informative to say about this

regret is one of the biggest (I'm not even sure what the word is) sorrows? negativity? in life

it's something that can chew and eat away at a person's soul wondering what if...whether it be a romantic one, a job, anything...

and my friend you are young and even if this path doesn't work out whether it be the stamina issue or otherwise you'll know that you gave it a good shot and it wasn't meant to be...

'tis better to have failed than never have tried at all

you miss all the shots you don't take

• you're right. i know for a fact if i don't do this i will always look back and wonder what could've been.

thank you as always for taking the time to respond and actually caring, it means a lot.

• you're right. i know for a fact if i don't do this i will always look back and wonder what could've been.

thank you as always for taking the time to respond and actually caring, it means a lot.

exactly...but remember even if you fail or it doesn't connect with you or you don't feel the profession or work or whatever it's not the be all and end all

no probs my friend anytime :-)

• I haven't read the replies yet, but I wish I could have made changes in my life. Living this way with "what if's" doesn't help. Now I feel too old to even want to go to college let alone want to try. You're young, and I think if this is what your heart wants to do and what you feel you want to do. then go for it. If it doesn't work at least you tried. and you can use your other degree to fall back on.

Why spend your life regretting something? It's normal to be scared, and maybe doubt yourself since the work will be different and much harder. But I think if this works out, you'll be more than happy in life.

I am rooting for you!

• Hey, I think it’s excellent, love! Dermatology is fascinating and skin is something that affects people so greatly. You have empathy and care and passion and I can see you excelling in a role which involves so much face-to-face work. Physical stamina is something you will not know until you try and passion for something you actually love helps you push through much more often. Regret, however is very painful to live with.

You should be proud you had the confidence to talk it over with your parents and give it a shot.

Even if it ends up not being what you want for yourself long-term, you are young with bags of potential and much life ahead of you and your course of studies will grant you transferable skills that you carry through with you in your life. :borahae:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!