[theqoo] (G)I-DLE Jeon Soyeon released an apology after the plagiarism controversy of Ateez's song "Wave"

• It will be both Hongjoong AND Eden-ary. Mostly Eden-ary. It is really baffling that people are like "oh she apologized move on" umm no...she legitimately plagiarized a meaningful song that Eden-ary made for Ateez, this song got Ateez their first ever music show win, it's a well known song for them, And Ateez is not a shit group, ellenote, anyways, This isn't some forgotten b-side track either. I just hope behind the scenes they work something out but the fact that Eden-ary said no to putting them on there and asked for it to be revised says a lot to me.

Must tell Yeosang to make them happy. Because we don't need eden or jong on the 10oclock news cause they showed up to cube to crack skulls

• IDK how anyone can't hear wave...the first second it played it sounded like wave. If KQ released a statement then it's a serious issue because they almost never get involved. Eden-ary is a HUGE producer along with Hongjoong if he didn't agree to this, there's a serious problem. It's good that cube and Soyeon apologized, and I hope they can get this all resolved quickly and without it escalating any further. As someone who's followed ateez strongly for almost 2 1/2 years i'm just baffled by this. Usually when atiny's claim something it's nothing at all, but this time...between this and NMIXX it's just like what is going on?!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As an Atiny and an producer, they sound kinda similar in that they both have a tropical, island theme that relies heavily tribal drums, and bass and definately have the same type of verse, prechorus, chorus pattern (meaning the order in which the song goes from verse to chorus, etc) but I would not say it was plagiarizing territory or that they straight copied Ateez. It is more likely she hummed something while producing not remembering or knowing why and thought it sounded good and made the instrumental that became Sun, not that she went out of her way to copy someone else's work. I feel she handled it as best she could in this situation by apologizing and crediting him since people kept bringing up the similarities, when she easily could have just ignored it all together when people started complaining.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

mERCf4S.png

• Should be easy Yeosang is soo fucking adorable he's like winwin on steroids so everyone will instantly listen to him

He needs to hold san back as well, well know San is a 3rd degree blackbelt in taekwondo. Cube may get their heads kicked in lol

• As an Atiny and an producer, they sound kinda similar in that they both have a tropical, island theme that relies heavily tribal drums, and bass and definately have the same type of verse, prechorus, chorus pattern (meaning the order in which the song goes from verse to chorus, etc) but I would not say it was plagiarizing territory or that they copied Ateez. It is more likely she hummed something while producing not remembering or knowing why and thought it sounded good and made the instrumental that became Sun, not that she went out of her way to copy someone else's work. I feel she handled it as best she could in this situation by apologizing and crediting him since people kept bringing up the similarities, when she easily could have just ignored it all together when people started complaining.

She credited him without permission. KQ and Eden-ary both stated they wanted it changed and did not consent to the credits. It's way too similar, everything about it is too similar to not be obvious. Sorry not buying it. She produced, composed, arranged, and wrote this. She apologized, but KQ and Eden-ary is not satisfied with this. So, hopefully they work it out. Eden-ary is also not one person, it's Eden and Maddox. Eden, Maddox and Hongjoong, are the main producers of Ateez. So, it's not something so simple.

이든 (@eden_yh) • Instagram photos and videos

EDENARY (@official_edenary) • Instagram photos and videos

MADDOX 마독스 (@xxmaddox) • Instagram photos and videos

• She credited him without permission. KQ and Eden-ary both stated they wanted it changed and did not consent to the credits. It's way too similar, everything about it is too similar to not be obvious. Sorry not buying it. She produced, composed, arranged, and wrote this. She apologized, but KQ and Eden-ary is not satisfied with this. So, hopefully they work it out. Eden-ary is also not one person, it's Eden and Maddox, you have several producers for Ateez, including Hongjoong himself, not happy with the credits. So, it's not something so simple.

I am just going based off what I read in this thread as I have not fully researched it myself in depth yet so I could be wrong on the order of events in which they happened but based off what everyone was saying and what it said in the article posted in OP, as well as what usually happens in the studio, usually no one deliberately copies another artist's work for their own unless it is meant to be a remix or cover of someone else's song with permission (I could be wrong but I have only ever seen one person I ever worked with purposely copy someone else and well they are umm an interesting/bad business person for other reasons), I said what I did. :borahae: It sounded to me like she made the song and then people made a fuss about it around her and that is why she credited them even if she did not purposely copy anyone.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

mERCf4S.png

• I am just going based off what I read in this thread as I have not fully researched it myself in depth yet so I could be wrong on the order of events in which they happened but based off what everyone was saying and what it said in the article posted in OP, as well as what usually happens in the studio, usually no one deliberately copies another artist's work for their own unless it is meant to be a remix or cover of someone else's song with permission (I could be wrong but I have only ever seen one person I ever worked with purposely copy someone else and well they are umm an interesting/bad business person for other reasons), I said what I did. :borahae:

KQ released a statement that said they did not consent to the credits. This came after Cubes statement before her apology. And they still put the credits. So, It seems that it's not resolved.

Initially, there are speculations that the female idol-songwriter worked with Edenary, the one who produced ATEEZ's "WAVE."

However, KQ Entertainment, the agency of the production team clarified:

"There was no prior discussion with Edenary, of course. Concerning creators who have their own original work activities, we hope that false information will be corrected immediately. We also ask you to refrain from making reckless assumptions. Thank you."

An hour after KQ Entertainment released their stance, Soyeon then explained her side regarding the controversy, admitting there is a resemblance between the songs. However, she was not aware of it and was belatedly noticed.

"I apologized for the similarity controversy raised after the broadcast, so I apologized directly to the composer of the controversial song. I also want to apologize to the artist and fans for causing confusion. I'll try harder in the future."

Additionally, according to the agency, Soyeon spoke directly to the producer and apologized after they had monitored the two songs' similarities.

"In that sense, we judged that since we had acknowledged the similarity, we should properly give credit to the original producers. After Soyeon discussed with them, she sent a request to modify the credits for 'SUN' from its production company."

An hour before its release, the producer's agency (KQ Entertainment) conveyed they opposed it; however, the modification has been made already, and the song was released despite opposition.

While KQ firmly denied any discussion with Edenary and the agency, Cube Entertainment's statement made the situation complicated after claiming they initially asked for permission from them.

No Further statements have been made, so I'm assuming this is not resolved at all.

• I am just going based off what I read in this thread as I have not fully researched it myself in depth yet so I could be wrong on the order of events in which they happened but based off what everyone was saying and what it said in the article posted in OP, as well as what usually happens in the studio, usually no one deliberately copies another artist's work for their own unless it is meant to be a remix or cover of someone else's song with permission (I could be wrong but I have only ever seen one person I ever worked with purposely copy someone else and well they are umm an interesting/bad business person for other reasons), I said what I did. :borahae:

As a songwriter, I second this.

Sometimes I end up writing songs, and I am like "Damn! That's so good! I'm a genius. This is about to be a BOP! Wait...why does the hook remind me of...oh...nevermind."

Honestly, plagiarizing just causes you so much trouble down the line. It'd be really dumb of her to intentionally plagiarize a group as big as Ateez knowingly.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• She credited him without permission. KQ and Eden-ary both stated they wanted it changed and did not consent to the credits. It's way too similar, everything about it is too similar to not be obvious. Sorry not buying it. She produced, composed, arranged, and wrote this. She apologized, but KQ and Eden-ary is not satisfied with this. So, hopefully they work it out. Eden-ary is also not one person, it's Eden and Maddox. Eden, Maddox and Hongjoong, are the main producers of Ateez. So, it's not something so simple.

They credited Eden-ary because they figured it was the best thing to do in the heat of the moment. But KQ asked for a credit change an hour before the song goes live. So the required change unfortunately didn't make it through.

Don't blame Soyeon for everything, she's not the one who managed the song release. The song is published under Funky Studio and Interpark Co, not Cube. Now of course it needs to be sorted out properly. Everyone needs to be credited properly and compensated if needed. I'm sure they're working on it.

• Honestly, plagiarizing just causes you so much trouble down the line. It'd be really dumb of her to intentionally plagiarize a group as big as Ateez knowingly.

That is why I am thinking it is more likely she made the song blindly not realizing the similarities and after people kept pointing it out had an "Oh s---" moment and credited them to avoid being told she was purposely stealing from them. With both groups being so big it would be stupid for her to purposely try to rip from them.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

mERCf4S.png

• They credited Eden-ary because they figured it was the best thing to do in the heat of the moment. But KQ asked for a credit change an hour before the song goes live. So the required change unfortunately didn't make it through.

Don't blame Soyeon for everything, she's not the one who managed the song release. The song is published under Funky Studio and Interpark Co, not Cube. Now of course it needs to be sorted out properly. Everyone needs to be credited properly and compensated if needed. I'm sure they're working on it.

I'm not blaming her, it's a complicated situation and the whole time I've said I hope it gets resolved before it leads to any lawsuits etc. I have also said, that Eden-Ary and KQ haven't consented to anything. I have also maintained that I hope they are working on a resolve for this so that it doesn't escalate any further.

• I'm not blaming her, it's a complicated situation and the whole time I've said I hope it gets resolved before it leads to any lawsuits etc. I have also said, that Eden-Ary and KQ haven't consented to anything. I have also maintained that I hope they are working on a resolve for this so that it doesn't escalate any further.

Jenn, we are not attacking you. Please do not think so. We were just mentioning how usually accidents like this happen. <3

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

mERCf4S.png

• Jenn, we are not attacking you. Please do not think so. We were just mentioning how usually accidents like this happen. <3

oh no i don't think that at all. I just don't' want anyone to assume I'm being like the other atiny's and blaming her and out here trying to call her names etc. It's not like that at all. I think Atiny have a right to be upset, but I don't think all the blame should be placed on her. I just hope it gets resolved without any further issues between any party. Some people are being incredibly rude towards her and about this situation but, that's not the way to handle it.

• I'm not blaming her, it's a complicated situation and the whole time I've said I hope it gets resolved before it leads to any lawsuits etc. I have also said, that Eden-Ary and KQ haven't consented to anything. I have also maintained that I hope they are working on a resolve for this so that it doesn't escalate any further.

Ok sorry, it's just that I've seen people who blamed her for everything, even for releasing the song despite the controversy. I don't think she had any say in it.

• Ok sorry, it's just that I've seen people who blamed her for everything, even for releasing the song despite the controversy. I don't think she had any say in it.

No, I understand that. Some people take things a bit far, but that doesn't help any situation/resolve anything. This is an internal issue that needs to be handled between the companies and those involved, and the fandom/people shouldn't be pointing fingers at just her. I don't dislike her or anything. It's just unfortunate what happened.

• Ok sorry, it's just that I've seen people who blamed her for everything, even for releasing the song despite the controversy. I don't think she had any say in it.

With how contracts for promotional singles and songs like this for TV Shows are done, sadly odds are once the song was done she lost any control over it, immediately once it was submitted and she was paid. :sweatr1: If I can be honest.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

mERCf4S.png

• With how contracts for promotional singles and songs like this for TV Shows are done, sadly odds are once the song was done she lost any control over it, immediately once it was submitted and she was paid. :sweatr1: If I can be honest.

True, and the company could even turn against her and ask to be compensated for the damage. That's why I don't see who in their right mind would think that she copied ATEEZ on purpose. For a national television broadcast! It makes zero sense.

• honest question but can a production be plagiarized? Both songs do sound similar because of the structure, the instruments and the beat are similar but the melody is different isn't it? I thought you could only get copyright on the melody. There are a lot of songs with these same elements.

Not trying to takes sides, I'm honestly curious because I remember reading about copyright a long time ago and that you could only claim copyright on arrangement that were "original" enough, for example you can't claim copyright on a salsa arrangement.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!