Does your taste run against the (main)stream?

• I've watched and followed a lot of the threads around NMIXX' debut, because it took me by surprise, I wasn't aware their debut was today.

First out of curiosity, and then after I watched and listened to the song a few times with fascination, and then later on with a slight frown, bemusement and wonder.

The enormous backlash on the song, while understandable, was more than I expected. And so different from my own experiences.

I actually really loved some parts of the song, overall the song was a blop to me, for now.

Which makes me think back, this is not the 1st time my own experience of a song runs completely contrary to the majority:

- most people love Tank more, while I'm thinking 'really?? The song with the neverending 'freaky fish' part!?! How can they not like O.O better??'

- a lot of people hated and bashed ZZB, aside from the choruses I liked the song, it's catchy af and I could see why the RV girls loved it, their enjoyment just radiates off them in their ZZB performances

- most people loved Blackpink's D4 and KTL, the songs didn't move me while I loved AIIYL and Whistle

The list goes on and on.

I've gotten used to it, these days I just shrug and think, 'different people, different tastes and apparently my taste is different from the majority'

Do you also experience this from time to time, that your taste runs completely opposite from the vast majority of people? Or do you find that what you like, most people end up liking and what you dislike is generally disliked by a majority?

• Do you also experience this from time to time, that your taste runs completely opposite from the vast majority of people?

Kpop-wise it depends, but I'm a NCT fan, so that puts me on the opposite side by default. lol

When it comes to non-Kpop, I barely know what people are listening to nowadays except for a few artists here and there. I don't listen to pop or anything "new" or "trendy" in my country/West because it's just not for me. My music taste leans towards anything pre-2000s, so I guess I'm on the opposite side again.

• it depends. i just like what i like. sometimes it'll be a twice song that everyone loves and other times... its sticker...

• As I am MUCH older than most here, yes my tastes are different as I am in an earlier generation plus I think/feel and act differently. I do like Aespa and BTS like a lot of fans, but my general music taste is varied and unlike most K pop fans. I do have a discerning taste and don't have to like a particular song just because the masses do. I think it is a generational thing and as you get older music tastes change which is a part of maturity. At nearly 54 I don't find K pop as exciting as I used to.

• it seems

I tend to love songs people tend to hate

I still consider that Simon says is one of the best tt of NCT, even if most of people hate this song

Zimzalabim and RBB are bops to me, and i know most kpop fans disagree

I loved Next level at the first listen when everybody was calling it a carbage

and I love O.O even if people think it's one of the worst debut song ever

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!