Well... imagine if this happened to you

• You create something (a drawing, a song, a poem etc...) and you feel like showing it to someone.

And then someone says to you: "This is trash and you suck as an artist"

And well... don't you think it is kind of rude and disrespectful, when someone calls an artist's song trash?

I'm thinking more about how the ones who have composed, produced etc... would feel.

Even though it might be hypocritical of me to say that because I did make a thread calling one song by a Western artist trash. Even thouhg the title of that thread is "Do you think it is a bad thing to call this song trash?"

Even though there was this one kpop fan, who went to a kpop producer's social media and said something like "You suck and you're a bad producer" and also bashed the way he made songs.. (I don't feel like mentioning names and stuff)

But that producer just responded politely "I was wondering if I should study more music, but thank you for your suggestions."

And well... I sometimes create art.

I write poems, also write fanfics and short stories, draw (even though it is mostly once a week) etc...

I think I would be sad though, if one of my poems or drawings got called trash and they said "you really suck at it".

Oh wait, I remember when a former classmate of mine read a short story by me and said "You're the worst writer ever"

But well... it was a silly short story that wasn't meant to be taken seriously, so I didn't even get that hurt. (so don't feel sorry for me or be like "your classmate was so rude")

I kind of also was thinking "She hasn't read any of my 'serious' short stories."

Even though, there is also times where I wish people would be a bit more critical when talking about my art.

I mean, sometimes when I create art and someone is like "Wow, you're really good.", sometimes it feels like they don't mean it. (or as if they don't want to hurt my feelings.)

I'm not saying that I want them to be like "You freaking suck at it."

I would rather that they say what I could do better or at least say what they might not like about it.

They are allowed to be positive, but I would rather they say what they like about it and what they don't like about it.

Like saying stuff like "You could have chosen a better title for your short story" and stuff... (and BTW I didn't know what to title my thread...)

I do appreciate it, when users read my poems and are like "This is so beautiful". I do believe that most users are being honest, when they talk positively about my poems and fanfics.

Well... every week, I'm at this place, where I often sit and draw stuff, and the people at this place have often told me how good I am at drawing.

At first I felt like they were perhaps just being nice.

But it kind of boosted my self-esteem, even though I know I'm not as good as those super famous painters.

Well... I think that when you want to improve as an artist, you need to listen to some of the criticism.

This thread probably got too long LOL

• I honestly like your poems and your little fanfics you show me. I joke with you about things but I like your writings and i think you're super smart and talented. Of course, as your friend, I would never want to say something that hurts your feelings. When i personally respond/react to your things I am being genuine. First of all, I'm not talented at all, at least i don't think so. So it's always amazing to me see how smart and talented my friends are.

constructive criticism is what i call it, and i think that's always helpful. People should be able to be kind and positive if they don't like something and simply tell you in a way that's not hurtful. Maybe explain why they think that. It's easy for people to be fake and I hate that.

• When it comes to kpop people can't really set apart their own taste from what's bad, for something like music (and even art) hardly ever something can be considered objectivelly bad, lazy and generic? yes, but if people like it, or it fits its purpose how can this be better than something a few critics say it's good.

As someone who also comes from a creative field there's always be people finding flaws in your work, ALWAYS, just focus on working on what feels right to you and if you feel like improving ask for advice from people you admire and trust that'll give an honest opinion. About technical sides I think there's always room for improving because the world is always changing, new things being discovered, new trends, but don't get obsessed it to the point you'll get blocked bc motivation also comes with finishing things. Judging your story I think people are being honest about your work so I wouldn't really worry about that and take the compliments! Don't be too harsh on yourself! Just enjoy genuinely liking what you created :pepelove1:

• I draw and paint as a hobby and started uploading my work to websites more than ten years ago.

You receive a lot of harsh criticism depending on where you post but I actually quite like comments that point out flaws or offer suggestions, because I obviously want to improve. Compliments are nice, but constructive criticism or even just a "wow, this is the dullest shit you've ever posted, it looks completely devoid of life" can get you thinking.

When you've been working on something for days or weeks you no longer see the flaws and mistakes. I paint because I love painting but it's also important to me to know what does and doesn't work for others. Do I always listen? No, but it makes me think and helps me to be more objective. That I spent 16 hours on something doesn't mean it's good. It can still be trash and it often is.

Criticism is incredibly valuable and I'd rather people be honest with me than treat me like a toddler, praising my paint smudges despite secretly thinking "oh wow, this is so bad". If it's trash in someone's opinion, it's trash in their opinion.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!