Was the TV show LOST (2004) popular in Korea?

• I wondered if the show was popular in Korea? Especially because both Yunjin Kim and Daniel Dae Kim played main characters in all 6 seasons and the show was so popular and famous when it aired. i expected Yunjin Kim to be popular in Korea too and have some sort of impact but I rarely hear or see much from her nowadays.

She was practically one of the first or earliest korean celebrities to break into western movie industry and I think she played some other roles in the US too. Daniel Dae Kim is still getting roles in american tv.

Yunjim Kim played her role so so so good like she is for real one of the best korean actresses I've seen. I assumed she would enjoy some sort of recognition and appreciation for her achievements and talent in korea?

Anybody knows something on this matter?

Btw LOST was such a good show, one of the most revolutionary and epic shows ever

• One of the interesting things about the first season in particular was how different character-centric episodes seemed to be entirely different genres.

And Sun/Jin's episodes... I've never seen a Kdrama but I imagine that's what they're like :angryr:

stan12345 can you confirm

• Firstly Lost is the greatest show of all time. You won't find a show that has an ensemble cast as big and as developed as Lost.

Other than Shiri (a film that made her a star in SK, but back in 1999) and Seven Days I've never seen Yunjin Kim in a Korean show/film. I know Ode to my Father is a huge film in SK but I never got around to wanting to watch it. Looking at her filmography she takes more low key roles nowadays though will be in the Korean remake of Money Heist.

WIthin the context of SK, she was already 30 when Lost started and she had her time in the starlight in SK in 1999 and for a few years after Shiri. When Lost ended she was 37. I think what would have worked against her building after Lost is a) her age as even though it has got much better, early 2010's you didn't really see many shows/films with "older" female leads, 2) the fact that she had a high peak in SK already back in 1999 and 3) if we're being completely honest visuals.

I got into korean films/tv shows right near the end of Lost airing but you didn't really have the exposure to what Sk was watching, compared to now where you have translations and stats for everything. So I'm not sure if Lost was popular there. But South Koreans tend to latch on to people that do well abroad so I can imagine the success of the show did her give her a good rep in SK.

You feel like her success was probably overshadowed by the likes of Lee Byung-hun who started doing western films towards the end of Lost airing as well.

tenfour Sun/Jin episodes were prime kdrama storylines. Rich/poor coupling which is one of the biggest tropes you'll see in kdramas, disapproving parents, chaebols, gangsters, family feuds etc.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!