She is why arguing about live vocals in Kpop or American pop for that matter is pointless.

• No need to quibble and fight over your faves' vocal tones or techniques, or nitpick whether someone's vocals are live, prerecorded, backtracked, autotuned, etc. Kpop is and will always be about performance and out of this world choreography and catchy music.

If you want live vocals, just listen to mah girl Morissette sing Bey's toughest songs and doing the parts of three "superstars" of American pop all by herself, all live. She is the cover killer, the girl that outsings the original artists with her live covers.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• agreed.

also omg!? i've never heard of her but she's talented!

I could link like 50 videos of her from YT that will blow your mind! She is a Filipino prodigy that is known mostly for her covers and live performances, her original music is limited to two albums and they're definitely not trendy modern pop songs. She does her own thing. But she's the only artist where i dont care whose songs she sings, i just wanna hear her. Her voice isnt the same as it once was (she suffered vocal chord damage in 2018) but it's still the best in the world X( .

• She has a great voice, and I gather this thread was purely to appreciate or showcase her vocals ( ^^ ), nothing wrong with that.

I have to wonder though, if vocal damage wasn't due to a disease, whether she has used her singing voice in the right way, there are enough examples in K-pop but also American pop and elsewhere that vocal chord damage arises because of bad use of singing voice, or overexertion of it.

Aside from that, I disagree strongly that K-pop is merely about performance and choreo - that may be the case to you and/or the groups you bias, but not to me and I'm definitely not the only K-pop fan that's into strong or intriguing vocals in K-pop.

In fact, great vocal performances are 1 of the reasons I got drawn into K-pop and there are enough great vocal performances in K-pop as well, even ones that covered those numbers :-)

And outside of K-pop but still one of Korean singers, So Hyang:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Probably the first time I'm agreeing with you. Like, no one in kpop is touching her vocally, technique wise (because tone is subjective). The ones you posted weren't even her bests.

These are my faves from her, she ate these Mariah songs, ngl.

An original song, I love this one.

It's funny how I discovered her through you. :cryingr:

• Eh, she's no Hyori.

• i agree, she is awesome

Así luce ahora la niña del meme "dice mi mamá que..."

but then put her to perform that, with full song choreo and she will end up singing breathless like all the other idols

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• She definitely overexerted herself. She sang with reckless abandon from 2015-2018, and did two full length concerts in 2018 with crazy intense upper register belting. I was so worried for her ;(. She's recovered 85% of her vocal power and range, to my ears, but i dont think she will ever truly sound like she did back then.

As for your Listen examples from Shannon and Wendy, let me just put THIS performance by Mori. I didnt post it originally since the audio quality isnt great especially with the crowd noise, but honestly, no one can touch this. The crowd isnt even listening to her at first but by the end, they were shook af and so was i, my jaw dropped.

• lol you just gave me my biggest Christmas gift. To know that i actually helped to convert at least one person into a Mori fan, it's literally my biggest accomplishment for 2021 :danceb:.

She deserves it. The girl deserves the same stage, the same popularity and success as BP, BTS, and the other top Kpop and local acts.

• So Hyang is freaking amazing!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!