Koreans announce boycott of Disney+ for streaming Blackpink Jisoo's 'Snowdrop' drama on its Korea debut
Source: Herald Business
Disney+ is under controversy for streaming controversial JTBC drama 'Seolganghwa.'
'Snowdrop' was chosen as the "first Korean drama" to air on Disney+ after its debut in Korea however the streaming service is facing backlash and boycotts for airing a drama embroiled in controversy over history distortions. This is bad news for Disney+ who had planned to catch up to Netflix by increasing its catalogue of Korean dramas available on the service.
According to industry officials on the 20th, online communities are increasingly demanding to stop streaming of 'Snowdrop' on Disney+. The e-mail address and contact information of the person in charge of Disney+ is also currently being circulated as well as specific details to be mentioned when requesting to cancel airing of the drama.
Korean and U.S customer centers are also currently being flooded with complaints and as controversy grows, Disney + has announced "they're investigating the situation."
The netizen that wrote the post argued, "Seolganghwa history distortion controversy of pro-democracy movement is not something that was just announced today. It's problematic that Disney+ chose to air this as their first Korean drama on its Korean debut without proper content verification. There are concerns foreigners who come across this content may have wrong perception of our history."
As a result of the boycott, the number of daily active users for the service have plummeted 45%, from 590,000 in November to 310,000 in December, since its launch in Korea on the 12th of last month.
Meanwhile, 'Snowdrop' is currently embroiled in controversy for history distortions of the democratic movement and female lead (Jisoo) is also facing backlash for her terrible acting skills in the drama.
- [+1,884, -35] Disney+ probably picked Korea to escape China's clutches but ended up picking a drama and broadcast company backed by Chinese money ㅋㅋㅋ. Stop airing this drama now before you lose even more money!!
- [+859, -57] Jisoo-ya, practice your pronunciations first before trying your hand at acting..
- [+606, -18] Ah~ that data screen...just...looks like a Chinese martial arts drama ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
- [+403, -11] It's exactly because this drama is backed by the Chinese that they chose to air thisㅋㅋ. Are people seriously not aware that Disney is a representative Chinese company.
- [+304, -12] Disney itself is largely backed by Chinese capital. That's why they ruined Mulan.
- [+61, -0] The Chinese didn't choose to invest in this for no reason, it's how they're infiltrating our country. This is just another drama chosen to cast doubt on our history by spreading Xi Jinping's propaganda. That's why it exclusively airs on JTBC...
- [+53, -23] Seriously why are people so angry over this drama? Where in episode 1 or 2 did you see them putting down democratization movement? Watch a couple more episodes first before you open your mouths!!
- [+23, -0] The history distortion controversy in this drama is a huge issue but even worse than that is Jisoo's acting..
- [+17, -4] A Disney boycott ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
- [+9, -0] Is it a coincidence that YG was involved in the production of this drama and Joseon Exorcist, both heavily funded by Chinese money and embroiled in history distortions...and for Jisoo to end up as the female lead?