[Naver]Koreans announce boycott of Disney+ for streaming Blackpink Jisoo's 'Snowdrop' drama on its Korea debut

• Koreans announce boycott of Disney+ for streaming Blackpink Jisoo's 'Snowdrop' drama on its Korea debut

AVvXsEinenmmqf80pt1BvD7Ry0CceCP6liv0xwXwxfZiNmsI2KQEdNlG5PDtvbxjKxwHB0qe9CSe73zGoXEXis_5NztLhH-hcnIDfVYEr9hfHrAtB6POzJJEB6neKNz9dsDA-EkjHIDZ0rzDOGbhqCOYeGvP5Xl3Rofa0vvAoE6hjiE9f1gah_zj6Jj9T0lVEw=s16000

Article: "Why did you pick this drama?” Disney+ under boycott while trying to catch up with Netflix

Source: Herald Business

Disney+ is under controversy for streaming controversial JTBC drama 'Seolganghwa.'

'Snowdrop' was chosen as the "first Korean drama" to air on Disney+ after its debut in Korea however the streaming service is facing backlash and boycotts for airing a drama embroiled in controversy over history distortions. This is bad news for Disney+ who had planned to catch up to Netflix by increasing its catalogue of Korean dramas available on the service.

According to industry officials on the 20th, online communities are increasingly demanding to stop streaming of 'Snowdrop' on Disney+. The e-mail address and contact information of the person in charge of Disney+ is also currently being circulated as well as specific details to be mentioned when requesting to cancel airing of the drama.

Korean and U.S customer centers are also currently being flooded with complaints and as controversy grows, Disney + has announced "they're investigating the situation."

AVvXsEhUqFGXv15A-tYASpN5hRrAlOy6CV155YR_5rcudXbXipkQxcSWh34qK4cYr7RsK_8DoONUlx0itkQAJuGGpPZs6mYgwgDPMLd-DqnTKES_bcdKorPJlYa6TSd_ARCXpTytIyL6kTD1rta-fB4LmbdW5t7Rw36jLAFMPFYQ_OfKadT8BZ2Cj2M60L_k-g=s16000

The netizen that wrote the post argued, "Seolganghwa history distortion controversy of pro-democracy movement is not something that was just announced today. It's problematic that Disney+ chose to air this as their first Korean drama on its Korean debut without proper content verification. There are concerns foreigners who come across this content may have wrong perception of our history."

As a result of the boycott, the number of daily active users for the service have plummeted 45%, from 590,000 in November to 310,000 in December, since its launch in Korea on the 12th of last month.

Meanwhile, 'Snowdrop' is currently embroiled in controversy for history distortions of the democratic movement and female lead (Jisoo) is also facing backlash for her terrible acting skills in the drama.

Blue House petition to cancel airing of this drama in Korea has received over 299,000 signatures.

AVvXsEiNUb6NMF3Fcfjw3USeAs0pX3oG_XfUTeX1m0zHHjUjPNdv7Tfo8p1lpKUFPUZvlcZ87-yKtA8Mja-VfteZKlvMP9BZ4IPpPH_oVNAAPSsj0JNvFe7JirvR-1MM7lhLD7O9MwMqq0_-J97vIu-_HeHT3wR3bOD9NPmoO7Zb7Hhnnyy0G-DFbsVwFy-YUw=s16000

1. [+1,884, -35] Disney+ probably picked Korea to escape China's clutches but ended up picking a drama and broadcast company backed by Chinese money ㅋㅋㅋ. Stop airing this drama now before you lose even more money!!
    2. [+859, -57] Jisoo-ya, practice your pronunciations first before trying your hand at acting..
    3. [+606, -18] Ah~ that data screen...just...looks like a Chinese martial arts drama ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    4. [+403, -11] It's exactly because this drama is backed by the Chinese that they chose to air thisㅋㅋ. Are people seriously not aware that Disney is a representative Chinese company.
    5. [+304, -12] Disney itself is largely backed by Chinese capital. That's why they ruined Mulan.
    6. [+61, -0] The Chinese didn't choose to invest in this for no reason, it's how they're infiltrating our country. This is just another drama chosen to cast doubt on our history by spreading Xi Jinping's propaganda. That's why it exclusively airs on JTBC...
    7. [+53, -23] Seriously why are people so angry over this drama? Where in episode 1 or 2 did you see them putting down democratization movement? Watch a couple more episodes first before you open your mouths!!
    8. [+23, -0] The history distortion controversy in this drama is a huge issue but even worse than that is Jisoo's acting..
    9. [+17, -4] A Disney boycott ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    10. [+9, -0] Is it a coincidence that YG was involved in the production of this drama and Joseon Exorcist, both heavily funded by Chinese money and embroiled in history distortions...and for Jisoo to end up as the female lead?
  • I think it’s pretty interesting that when the Drama aired nobody was really talking about it, no post about it, but when the first articles about complains arrived all of a sudden a whole bunch of people knew the Drama exists and had something to say about the historical inaccuracies.

Thread’s about the negative reaction have more posts than Threads just talking about the Drama. Even people who I haven’t seen talking about the Drama are now participating.

I won’t say Koreans are wrong or right to be mad about this, it’s their history. But I find it weird that I-stans who haven’t watched one single episode of the Drama are picking sides, how are you supposed to even know what they mean or what they are referencing when you haven’t even watched it ?

Being neutral if you haven’t watched ok, you watched it and think it’s problematic ok… but being so strongly against it, being so invested in getting it canceled, even though you haven’t watched one bit is really weird.

No wonder people are easily fooled by media, may it be left or right media, people don’t even bother to check what the whole fuss is about, they just go with what they read and call it a day.

• I think it’s pretty interesting that when the Drama aired nobody was really talking about it, no post about it, but when the first articles about complains arrived all of a sudden a whole bunch of people knew the Drama exists and had something to say about the historical inaccuracies.

Well, yes - and this is the kind of coordinated Internet reaction often seen from groups who have pulled the wool over the public's eyes for decades and are suddenly at risk of exposure.

If the drama is historically incorrect, its errors should be easy to refute. But when sudden efforts are made to stir up violent reactions through fact-free emotional claims, opponents of the drama start to look very suspicious.

• Also snowdrop rank 3 in south Korea region for Disney+

Like are they watching this shit or not? And don't come with blinks watch it bc there are not enough kblinks in sk to do all that :pepepizza:

1. [+304, -12] Disney itself is largely backed by Chinese capital. That's why they ruined Mulan.

This comment makes litterally zero sense. The Chinese industry doesn't Disney to make a Mulan movie, they can do their own no problem, which they have multiple times.

If the last Mulan film by Disney sucks, it's because it's a cliché American movie with a mere Asian paint-over. But out of all the foreign audiences, the Chinese probably is the one that cared the least about this flick.

I need to download this Snowdrop show. I had no interest in it, but the more the controversy grows, the more curious I get.

• Well, yes - and this is the kind of coordinated Internet reaction often seen from groups who have pulled the wool over the public's eyes for decades and are suddenly at risk of exposure.

If the drama is historically incorrect, its errors should be easy to refute. But when sudden efforts are made to stir up violent reactions through fact-free emotional claims, opponents of the drama start to look very suspicious.

There are a lot of emotions involved in discussing this whole thing and the moment this happens a grounded discussion won’t be possible. Not saying the emotions are invalid, just that a grounded discussion isn’t possible.

Seeing a strong wish to cancel a show was after Joseon Exorcist… I have seen Koreans complain about shows, but asking so strongly to get it canceled because historical distortion is something I have seen only after this. There is currently a Korean vs Chinese culture war going on where Chinese netizens claimed Koreans stole their culture like Kimchi or the Hanbok, literally mocking them for having no actual culture or history etc. Ever since they got very strict with historical distortion, especially if it’s somehow linked to China… there is a pattern.

• This comment makes litterally zero sense. The Chinese industry doesn't Disney to make a Mulan movie, they can do their own no problem, which they have multiple times.

If the last Mulan film by Disney sucks, it's because it's a cliché American movie with a mere Asian paint-over. But out of all the foreign audiences, the Chinese probably is the one that cared the least about this flick.

I need to download this Snowdrop show. I had no interest in it, but the more the controversy grows, the more curious I get.

If China didn't even care, they should have just kept Mushu. :pepepizza:

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!