So there was already a petition for Snowdrop and ...

• the Blue House responded and it wasn't taken down.

here is the article: https://www.allkpop.com/articl…oming-jtbc-drama-snowdrop

So it means that high authorities have already dealt with the drama, and was not canceled. High Korean authoritarians and not international wannabe Koreans. Even when they don't have the power to make them take it down, I doubt that korean companies would disagree if the blue house asked them to take it down.

I really understand that it is problematic when one's own history is not accurately portrayed. But the drama is clearly marked as fiction.

So why allow a drama that is already being criticized before it is even aired if it is so problematic. Not only the blue house but the entertainment company too.

It can't say something about Koreans and how they truly feel and I'm sorry if it really hurts their feelings but here it really feels like some people just hoped for that kind of drama.

кιм נєηηιє ⭐︎мαησвαη ℓαℓιѕα⭐︎ ραяк ¢нαєуσυηg ⭐︎ кιм נιѕσσ

540 Jennie Kim ideas | blackpink jennie, kim, kim jennie Blackpink Jennie Teddy Bear Şapka | krimofashion.com  제니츄 on Twitter | Blackpink fashion, Fashion, Black pink

Edited 4 times, last by Marmaladeheart ().

• It would be kinda ironic for the Government to ban a drama because it's supposedly undermining the fight against an authoritarian regime.

I don't think government approval means anything unless South Korea is an authoritarian regime that censors dramas they don't agree with.

• no they just contacted JTBC who told them that the controversy come from "fragmentary information such as an incomplete synopsis and parts from the character descriptions"

and for the moment the blue house didn't do anything because they can't be sure that the plot is rewriting history or JTBC was right, and cancel it now would be an infringement to freedom of expression

and say that they respect the self correction and decision made by the production to avoid a controversy like this

but they'll watch closely the reaction of the civilian and the drama and if they notice that the drama distort korean history they'll have to deliberate with the KCSC and cancel the drama

like they did with Joseon exorcist , they cancel the drama once it already start to air and they had proof of distortion of history

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• So it means that high authorities have already dealt with the drama, and was not canceled.

Actually the article states that the law protects broadcasters and allows them freedom in programming and the government can't just step in and stop it without following proper procedure. So they didn't actually deal with anything. They just said they can't legally stop it unilaterally.

The final paragraph mentions that they received complaints about Jooseon Exorcist and will be investigating it and I would assume that means that if the Korean FCC gets complaints about Snowdrop that it will also be investigated. Doesn't mean it will be cancelled, but the network/production crew can be fined. That's usually what happens here.

• this tweet explains it pretty well

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It would be kinda ironic for the Government to ban a drama because it's about people fighting an authoritarian regime.

I don't think government approval means anything unless South Korea is an authoritarian regime that bans dramas they don't like.

so you think they "hoped" for a backlash through the general public?

I just mean that this criticism of historical accuracy does not come as a surprise, and people with decision-making power must have looked at it and thought of something to let the drama run anyway.

That's something I don't get.

540 Jennie Kim ideas | blackpink jennie, kim, kim jennie Blackpink Jennie Teddy Bear Şapka | krimofashion.com  제니츄 on Twitter | Blackpink fashion, Fashion, Black pink

• You do know that the government can't just cancel shows based on speculations right? That's authoritarian censorship, and creators are legally protected by the broadcasting act to prevent such cases.

Dramas like Joseon dynasty were cancelled, after they were aired out, due to historical distortion. If anything, the statement points out they expect people involved to be personally responsible to avoid KCSC interfering.

You are the judge to how responsible JTBC was, now.

• so you think they "hoped" for a backlash through the general public?

I just mean that this criticism of historical accuracy does not come as a surprise, and people with decision-making power must have looked at it and thought of something to let the drama run anyway.

That's something I don't get.

I think they're just using it as their change.org to bring awareness to it. I don't believe they expected the Blue House to do anything.

• It would be kinda ironic for the Government to ban a drama because it's about people fighting an authoritarian regime.

I don't think government approval means anything unless South Korea is an authoritarian regime that bans dramas they don't like.

I dont think you are properly aware of what people have an issue with, if that's what you got from the whole situation.

• You do know that the government can't just cancel shows based on speculations right? That's authoritarian censorship, and creators are legally protected by the broadcasting act to prevent such cases.

Dramas like Joseon dynasty were cancelled, after they were aired out, due to historical distortion. If anything, the statement points out they expect people involved to be personally responsible to avoid KCSC interfering.

You are the judge to how responsible JTBC was, now.

I don't think the blue house can make you cancel it but when they ask to cancel it, I doubt korean companies would say no. That was my point.

I guess my problem mostly are international fans or even korean who cried over 'Joseon Dynasty' being cancelled and called it just fiction but call 'Snowdrop' problematic.

If it is really problematic for the general public I'm okay when they cancel it. I would be sad and it would be a lie when I say I understand them in all points but their culture is different from mine so.....

• I dont think you are properly aware of what people have an issue with, if that's what you got from the whole situation.

I know it's because people think it will undermine the pro-democracy movement. If people want to boycott it, it's fine. But as soon as the Government takes action it's censorship.

• this tweet explains it pretty well

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I won't ya this person seriously, first they come talking about distorted facts but now they have spend half an hour talking about tv ratings so they have completely lose their focus. They are not seeking justice for nobody if ratings from tv or the internet is of their interest, like what will that do for Korean history

• I don't think the blue house can make you cancel it but when they ask to cancel it, I doubt korean companies would say no. That was my point.

Yeah, but the blue house can't ask you to cancel something before reviewing it is my point. Snowdrop was still in production when the first petition was made so the blue house didn't have any material other than speculations to ask for a cancelation essentially. Now that the drama has aired, they can review it and decide further actions.

• I won't ya this person seriously, first they come talking about distorted facts but now they have spend half an hour talking about tv ratings so they have completely lose their focus. They are not seeking justice for nobody if ratings from tv or the internet is of their interest, like what will that do for Korean history

That account has been an obvious troll for a while. Kinda funny some people are quoting them as proof of anything

• That account has been an obvious troll for a while. Kinda funny some people are quoting them as proof of anything

Like they said to care for Korean history but desperately quote people about drama ratings that won't have any point if said drama keep airing or no. It's very obv seeking justice for those affected by past events isn't their goal

• i don't think snowdrop will be cancelled tbh, so far there was no distortion of history unlike some are claiming. The ANSP is portrayed in a bad light just it was in real life. heard some argue that they weren't portrayed "violent" or bad "enough" but they need to take into consideration the group age of this drama (13+) and the fact that it is in fact NOT a historical drama.

• Yeah, but the blue house can't ask you to cancel something before reviewing it is my point. Snowdrop was still in production when the first petition was made so the blue house didn't have any material other than speculations to ask for a cancelation essentially. Now that the drama has aired, they can review it and decide further actions.

ah okay, I understood you wrong. Sorry.

Well, I just hope they decide it fast. I'm sorry for everyone who worked hard for this drama.

• I know it's because people think it will undermine the pro-democracy movement. If people want to boycott it, it's fine. But as soon as the Government takes action it's censorship.

Definitely a censorship, but calling them an authoritarian regime over censoring things that the public, and the government obviously, finds politically unacceptable or historically inaccurate is a bit of a reach imo.

• I swear fans get stupid by the day.

The government in a free country has no real right to control how the media works. Music, movies, games etc shouldn't be controlled or dictated by outside forces otherwise no progress is made, no new ideas created, no variety. It is up to the consumers/public whether a new song, drama or game is like or pulled from the shelves.

Just because the Korean government didn't ban it doesn't mean it's sunshine and rainbows. Saying the gov didn't deal with it so there's nothing wrong wrong is a stupid take. The drama clearly has issues with public and if they don't like it then they can take it out their own way like bad reviews, complaints or simply not watching. The government shouldn't dictate what type of entrainment content is made. That sort of authoritarian government is things like North Korea or China or Russia or multiple other countries in the world where they control the media in some form and if you don't agree or criticise then you disappear.

The huge irony is that you think Korea gov not being an authoritative state today somehow supports your fave and proves the naysayers wrong but the entire drama and it's controversy stems from Korea being an authoritative state back then and literally making people disappear.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!